Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Just purchased a new Savage LWH 16 (stainless/synthetic) in .243 Winchester. Wanted a lightweight/compact & this surely fits the bill at (5.5) lbs. bare & (6.5) lbs. scoped. Haven't had chance to shoot yet as it's been cold & windy here in NW MI. Only concern so far the flimsy synthetic stock fit; barrel channel has large gap on right side & pretty standard gap on left side. Not pretty, but definitely free floated with no barrel contact. Forearm is kinda flimsy, but takes a lot of pressure to contact the barrel. Anyone have one similar? How's it shoot? Really don't care about the looks if it shoots!!! This is the first Savage I have ever owned, so no knowledge!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Is that weight actual measured weight or advertised weight?

Good luck with it.Being a Savage,I bet that ugly POS shoots.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
That is actual weight! Scope is Leupold VX3i 2 1/2-8 x 36. Yep, it's an ugly Savage; just hope it shoots!

Last edited by coltchris; 03/14/17.

take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Great little guns, last year I purchased a 16 LWH in 223, right out of the box it shot well under an inch with Hornday lead free 35 gr NTX® Superformance, I switched to the 55 GR GMX® Superformance and two more sub-MOA groups. The little gun really shoots.

Now I also have one in 243 that I got here in the classifieds for a great price, I only tried one load so far Federal copper 80 gr ammo and it was just at 1" at hundred yards. I cant wait until I have time to do some reloading because I am sure the 243 is going to be another great shooter.

Ted
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by coltchris
That is actual weight! Scope is Leupold VX3i 2 1/2-8 x 36. Yep, it's an ugly Savage; just hope it shoots!

Good to know. I might need to pick one up for my daughter. I wouldn't fret too much about cutting the stock down a bit.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Word of caution on the scope. I ordered a set of low Talley's after I talked to a rep at Talley. Assured me they would work fine with the Leupold 2 1/2-8 x 36. Well, they fit the scope barrel (barely), but the power adjustment ring contacted the corner of the base. Had to grind the corner a little for clearance and touch up with black felt pen!

take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one in .308, but haven't had good enough weather to shoot it yet. You get yours on sale at Cabelas too?

I'm with you on not caring about aesthetics for this particular rifle, so long as it shoots. I have had one other Savage for many years - a 110 in .243 - and it is very accurate with most loads I've tried. The barrel was a little rough and hard to get clean when new. I went through the process of firelapping it, and fixed that nicely. Don't know if that's still an issue with this gun. Does anybody still do that?

I'm hoping to get in a little shooting this weekend, and if so, I'll let you know how it goes.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Got one in 7-08 that shoots the lights out mounted with a swaro z3. Light enough.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Damn, I hope this thing shoots! Love the weight & compactness. Hope my expectations aren't too high; I've been spoiled by my Tikka T3 .243 that shoots lights out with everything I throw at it. Shoots several loads under 0.5".

take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Damn, I hope this thing shoots! Love the weight & compactness. Hope my expectations aren't too high; I've been spoiled by my Tikka T3 .243 that shoots lights out with everything I throw at it. Shoots several loads under 0.5".

i prefer the dimensions of the LWH. 20" barrel, handy. prefer the blue/wood one to the stainless and tuppeware, though. the salvage is more "rough" in every respect to the tikka.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Ya, I like the wood/blue one too; but not for $150-$200 more!

take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one in 223. I have only had it at the range one time for a sight in and one three shot group. This is what it did.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Savage isn't as pretty as her Ruger ultralight siblings, but she outshoots them...handily.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Good to know. I might need to pick one up for my daughter. I wouldn't fret too much about cutting the stock down a bit.

look at the Savage Ladyhunter then.
It is prettier.
My wife has the rifle and loves it.
It is same weight as the lightweight but stock designed for females.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I've gotta post my findings on here as I'm flabbergasted.

Picked up a Savage LWH 116 in .270 while Cabelas was having a sale thinking "ah, it'll be a great backup". Threw a cheap Nikon Buckmaster II i had laying around on it and Game Reaper mount. Picked up a box of Swift's "High Grade" in 130gr... it was on sale at the Sportsmans Warehouse and I figured it would be a good break in. This was shot 6,7 and 8 out of the gun.
[Linked Image]

Blown away.

I normally load my own, I'm hoping Swift will share their recipe!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've got a Savage 14 in .250 Sav.,it doesn't disappoint !

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JeffRaines

Picked up a Savage LWH 116 in .270 while Cabelas was having a sale thinking "ah, it'll be a great backup". Threw a cheap Nikon Buckmaster II i had laying around on it and Game Reaper mount. Picked up a box of Swift's "High Grade" in 130gr... it was on sale at the Sportsmans Warehouse and I figured it would be a good break in. This was shot 6,7 and 8 out of the gun.
[Linked Image]

Blown away.

That does NOT suck!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I got mine back at the first of the year, LWH 16 in 243. It shoots good. It seemed to like the 58 V-max and Nosler 55 & 70 Ballistic tips. Blue box Federal 80 grainers shoot OK to.

The recoil lug does not have a pocket in the plastic stock, just the pad area behind it where the front action screw goes through. I bedded that area and the action so that the lug sits tight in a pocket now and feel I gained some accuracy.

I also picked up a thin solid butt plate that needed very little fitting to short up the length of pull. Makes it even handier and the rubber pad doesn't grab my coat now.

I liked the milled receiver and fluted bolt so I thought it would make a nice action to build off of if I didn't like how it shot. May be a 25-08 Improved with a stainless fluted barrel in the future? Its fun to dream.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm not sure why I buy anything but a Savage. I'm tripping over myself right now and driving Darrik at Whittaker nuts over getting a new Kimber...and I was sorta dissapointed overall the day I took my 338WM 116 out to check the zero before this last hunting season and my first two shots did this at 100 yards...I'd have swore I had it sighted in for 1.5" high! Oh well.

Oh yeah, 200 grain Hornady Superformance SST's off the shelf.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ChrisAU; 03/20/17.
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by JeffRaines

[Linked Image]

Blown away.

That does NOT suck!

Not at all! It was very surprising, I honestly expected ~MOA from the gun. If it had been 1.5MOA I don't think I would've balked a lot, but .295... Okay. I guess. crazy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 44 invisible), 2,633 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,583
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.