Print Thread
Hop To
J
J257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
My old Brittany is at the end of his days. I'm finding myself franticly looking for a fine American Brittany pup. If any of you gents know of any great litters coming up or good breeders, please give a shout. I'm on the west coast, so I've been looking in Ca, Oregon and Washington but I'm open to a good dog anywhere if it's the right one. Show ribbons do nothing for me, I'm looking for a pup with a solid hunting background on preferably both sides. Orange/roan I prefer but I'm open.
Thanks, Jeff

BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Both of my daughter's are Dog trainer's. And the one with Lab's has a husband that hunts them. She pay's enormous amounts of money for her pups, and she swears every penny is worth it. One has qualified for the National Agility Championships for the last few years. and she has a Pup coming along at one year old. My other daughter raises Border Collie Herding dogs for Trials and also does agility competition.
They both agree that to pay the extra money they spend on good breeding is well worth it. So, my advice to you is do a lot of research before you buy. See how much info you can obtain from the AKC also. And if you have to drive a long distance to pick one up, do so. After all, it's a only a once in a dog's life trip. I hope you get a good one. Brittanies are great little animals.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
T
T
Jeff,
If you have not located a breeder, or picked up a new companion, look into Square Butte Brittanys in Montana. He breeds excellent gun dogs. Outside of Delmar and Rick Smith , nobody, probably knows more about the breed, than Terry. I am sure he has customers in California. He has litters coming.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I got mine from David White here in Olathe Kansas, he runs a Britt association for Missouri I think, he's got good brit's, and mine worked out better than I expected.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/20/17.
B
B
Originally Posted by Turbot
Jeff,
If you have not located a breeder, or picked up a new companion, look into Square Butte Brittanys in Montana. He breeds excellent gun dogs. Outside of Delmar and Rick Smith , nobody, probably knows more about the breed, than Terry. I am sure he has customers in California. He has litters coming.

I run Labs in AKC Hunt Tests, so I can't help with Brits. It was mentioned above to research. Good pedigrees cost a lot of money for a good reason. It stacks the deck in your favor. I was curious out the Square Butte Brittanys and looked at their website. Those look like really well bred dogs and their parents have OFA health certs. I would also look into having a pup flown to you or flying to pick up the pup and taking him as a carry on. As long as the crate fits below the seat, you can do this. Pay the money to a reputable breeder.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Brittany's are great dogs; I have had one.
But, don't discount a field bred English Cocker if you are open to similar breeds and have access to a good litter.
Great little dogs

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Otter Creek Brittany's in Arkansas and Lone Star in Midland, Texas. My five year came from Lone Star and he is a great hunter, heathy, and is a good house dog as well. He is a son of Nolan's Last Bullet. My 8-month old came from Otter Creek and he is a little scamp but has shown great promise with his nose, so far. Roger and Deb at Otter Creek are great communicators and run a nice operation. I went from Alaska to Arkamseas to pick my pup, Deke, up, and they were great hosts.

It's not the destination...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just looked at the Square Butte Brittanys website. On their trial history page is shows a brit standing with a check chord and the statement "Major standing with a high head and as much style as you will see in a Brittany". IMO, that isn't very good style for a Brittany. Their pedigrees are not that great either IMO.

If you want a really nice brittany with roan, call Upland Dog works in NE and tell them you want a dog with heavy Blaze Dakota Trucker breeding. That will give you the roan your after and Trucker produced damn nice dogs. As a matter of fact, not too long ago Trucker grand get took 1st and 3rd in the ABC Pheasant championship at very young ages. That should tell you what kind of dogs he produced. They will look a lot better standing than the dogs mentioned above as well. If you want something a little closer, contact Sniksoh Brittanys in CO. They produce some really nice dogs as well, but most likely won't have the roan your looking for.

Last edited by jetjockey; 04/04/17.
T
T
Originally Posted by jetjockey
I just looked at the Square Butte Brittanys website. On their trial history page is shows a brit standing with a check chord and the statement "Major standing with a high head and as much style as you will see in a Brittany". IMO, that isn't very good style for a Brittany. Their pedigrees are not that great either IMO.

If you want a really nice brittany with roan, call Upland Dog works in NE and tell them you want a dog with heavy Blaze Dakota Trucker breeding. That will give you the roan your after and Trucker produced damn nice dogs. As a matter of fact, not too long ago Trucker grand get took 1st and 3rd in the ABC Pheasant championship at very young ages. That should tell you what kind of dogs he produced. They will look a lot better standing than the dogs mentioned above as well. If you want something a little closer, contact Sniksoh Brittanys in CO. They produce some really nice dogs as well, but most likely won't have the roan your looking for.

Jet jockey,
You have truly shown your ignorance on the history of the breed and understanding the lineages, the modern American Brittany arose from. This backbreeding, infused with modern lines, like Nolan's Last Bullet, have culminated into superb bird dogs, with unbelievable style. He has bred dogs that placed AKC All Age, on one day, and could be hunted by a presumed novice in yourself, the next, with no problems. A true testament to the thoughtful, careful breeding he has undertaken. If he was still trialing, the ABC Pheasant would be a warmup for an all breed AKC or American Field event. I am sure the kennels you have mentioned are good ones, as there are many out there, but your "drive by" conducted on a question, from someone inquiring about recommendations for Brittanys is rather classless.

Last edited by Turbot; 04/06/17.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
First off, the ABC Pheasant IS and AF event. Secondly, it's not a "warmup"! Many of the best dogs the ABC has ever seen have never placed in the Pheasant. It's a 1hr Championship trial that is dual sanctioned by AKC and AF. The best Brittanys in the country, run by the best Pros are there every year. Finally, Buddy didn't produce "great" dogs. He
produced decent dogs that did OK in NSTRA but his offspring are almost completely non existent in the top ABC AA trial dogs of today. As a matter of fact, I can only think of about 3 Dogs currently in the Purina AA award that have any real Buddy blood in them. Those Dogs are very nice dogs, but they have a lot of very nice dogs in their lineage as well.

I made my statement, based on a statement from the website you suggested. The dog in the picture has very little style, and that's a fact. That's not the issue however. The issue is that the website says the dog is as stylish as you will see in th Brittany breed. And that is simply not true.

BTW. What my original post was suppose to say was Trucker Grand get took two if the top 4 spots in the Chicken Championship, not the Pheasant. But it's splitting hairs. Many people consider the Chicken the toughest ABC trial to place in considering its run in the Sandhills on only wild Chickens.

As far as hunting over an AA Brittany, that doesn't impress me in the slightest bit. Every decently bred AA Brittany out there can easily learn the difference between trialing and hunting if given the chance. I know this because I've been fortunate enough to hunt over some if the best AA Brittanys in the country. Hell, I even hunted over an AA Brittany this year who had never been foot hunted over before. Took him all of about 5 minutes to learn the game. That dog has consistsntly been one of the top AA Brittanys in the country that last few years, and he was a blast to hunt over.

I stand by my post. If the OP wants a well bred roan Brittany, look for a Trucker bred Brittany. Trucker probably produced as well, if not better than he was, and that's saying something considering he won the US Open, which is an AF trial that is not dual sanctioned by the AKC. Trucker dogs will most likely be much nicer natural bird dogs than Buddy dogs, and Ive hunted over both.

BTW, who were the All Age dogs that the kennel you suggested produced? I assure you if they produced some decent 1hr AA dogs, I know the dogs, and I'll get to watch them run at Nationals this year.

Last edited by jetjockey; 04/06/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
To the original OP, here is a list of the current ABC All Age standings. It would behove you to try and find a dog out of one of these dogs. Better yet, try and get a dog out of the dogs who produced these dogs. That's going to be your best shot at getting a great dog. I'll also post a link to the AA Nationals as well. In the link you can see the dog info of all the dogs running in the Amateur and Open nationals. The dog info link shows the sire and dame of all the dogs running. Study that well and look back a couple of years to get an idea of the dogs who are producing the top dogs. There's two or three breeders on the West coast who are breeding top dogs, but as far as I know, not many will be roan. There's a breeder in ID who is breeding a dog who is from the same lines of dogs who have been doing very well on the AKC circuit. One of those dogs is the reigning Purina AA dog of the year, and currently the #1 dog in the country. It's a very good line of dogs, but you will see very little roan in them.

If your interested, PM me and I'll give you the name of 3-4 breeders on the west coast who actively participate in ABC trials. One of them does occasionally have some roan dogs, and her dogs are typically dual dogs.

http://clubs.akc.org/brit/Awards_AllAge.htm

http://clubs.akc.org/brit/NationalAllAgeChampionships.htm

T
T
Jet Jockey,
I, at first, thought you may have been someone who lost to him in a field trial, and just couldn't forget it, but after looking at some of your post, I quickly realized, you are a self proclaimed "expert" on just about everything, who likes to disagree. Perry's Rustic Prince, Bandee, Pacolet, Jaculet, Kay Cee Bandit, Bazooka, Scipio and ,yes, Buddy are all HOF dogs or famed lineage, still present in today's Brittany. I looked at the website, also, and you pick one picture, to make a judgement on, never hunting behind one. I see plenty of style in those dogs. Anyway, the OP wanted to replace his dog, with a great dog. I have bred Brits, in the past and have owned several Square Butte dogs, as well. There are other kennels, I could recommend, but Terry has many dogs in the region and thought that was a good place to start, for his needs. You sir, can go back to your pontificating and jet setting life....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not disagreeing, just stating facts. And those facts include the fact that Buddy is In the HOF, not the Field Trial HOF. There are two HOF's for Brittanys, the FTHOF being the important HOF for the trial dogs. Secondly, I have no idea who the guy you mentioned is, and I've never seen him at an AKC trial, and I've certainly never seen him at Nationals. When putting his name in the Field trial database I don't see in anywhere. I see he did place in the futurity with a dog Leslie bred, but that's all I can find anywhere. Again, not saying that's good or bad, but when someone places a picture on a website and says it's considered good style, and it's not, I would question it as a buyer.

I've hunted over several Buddy dogs, and there's a reason you don't see them at the AKC/FT trial level. They just don't typically have what it takes to compete against the best without a lot of other blood in them.. They compete very well in NSTRA, but NSTRA isn't traditional field trials. Again, this isn't being a know it all, it's the truth. Don't believe me, look at the links I posted and try to find a bunch buddy dogs on the Purina or Garmin list. You won't find them, you also won't find much, if any from the kennel you suggested. If the OP wants a truly great dog, there are probably better options. Heck, the one dog I can find from that website that competed in AF trials was a dog that took 4th in the Futurity. That dog was bred by Leslie, and is probably a nice dog. Why not go to Leslie and ask her for a dog that she co-owns, named Fatz. He's a HELL of a dog, and looks great standing...... Everyone seems to think they produce the best dogs there are, but if you really want to see who's producing th best dogs, look at the breeders who are producing dogs competing and winning at the highest level. That's not being a know it all, that's common sense.

The kennel I suggested has a dog with Trucker on both sides and he's directly out of back to back 2x NFC/1xRuNFC, Kracker. The dog is also roan because of Trucker. That dogs pedigree is LOADED with current top dogs, and Trucker dogs are known to throw roan dogs, not to mention dogs who compete at the highest level in the Brittany world. He's the dog in tha front of their webpage. You want a stylish roan Brittany with a LOADED pedigree, that's where I'd start.

T
T
Dude, get a life. The guy wants a great hunting dog, not necessarily a trial champion. You'll get both out of the forementioned kennel(s), I am sure.....to the original poster, or anyone else, my experience has been one of long lived, very healthy, OFA'd dogs, that will hunt, with a very strong instinct, to find birds. I don't have a stake in the kennel, just good, positive experiences, as have others, I have come in contact, over the years.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Actually, he said hed prefer a roan dog, does the kennel you mentioned have roan Brits? I gave a link to one of the most well known roan Brits there was. A dog that threw phenomenal dogs. You can't even tell me who the All Age dogs are that the kennel you mentioned has produced. I'll go ahead and wait for your response. I have a long list of
Top AA dogs that Trucker has produced if you'd care to know, and they were all roan. They were also all pure 100% phenomenal bird dogs. Not NSTRA throw down bird dogs, but 100% pure wild bird dogs that competed and won against the best Brits in recent history. All with Nationals placements, and all dogs you can easily foot hunt over.

J
J257 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I found a pup almost by accident. A friend of mine told me of a fine pup he'd found out of eastern Oregon, so I checked him out. The pup was grown but was by my standards, a nicely built, handsome dog. My friend couldn't find the man's number, so I set to searching for him online. I found him and low and behold, pictures of the dogs. The male looked a lot like my first Brittany from childhood and the female was long legged and had a real nice head.
I found his number and gave him a call. We talked hunting and dogs for about an hour - then he gave me the bad news. His female was bread and it would be the last litter he would do. ALL pups where spoken for. I gave the man my number and thanked him for the nice conversation. A few weeks later the man calls me back. Some people had backed out, some had been on the list a long time and already found a dog. I slipped in and got the pup I wanted. Not a roan but beautiful. Thanks all.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Congratulations on your new pup. There's something to be said for getting a little older dog. If my young brit doesn't turn out, we are going to do the same thing with our next brit, and buy one already started that's showing trial potential. If your looking for someone to help in your pups training, Jason Staley in ID is doing some really nice things with Brits. Paul Dorian in CA is also a very good trainer. Those are the two main brittany Pros on the West coast.... Whos your pup out of?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
686 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,456 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,678
Posts18,399,550
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.