Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Yondering thinks ARs are handier than ‘svelte bolt rifles and leverguns’.

I didn't say that; you're putting words in my mouth and adding details after the fact to support your emotional position. You said:

"The AR design ... is bulky and far less than handy compared to a standard bolt or lever rifle."

It sounds like you asked a question to prove a point and validate your opinion, rather than learn something. If I'd known that initially, I wouldn't have bothered responding, but will remember in the future that you're one of those guys.

As I pointed out an AR can be as slim and light as most lever guns or bolt action hunting rifles, and that is partly why some people enjoy hunting with them. No reason to turn that into a dick measuring contest other than to stroke your ego.

You cherry picking specific lightweight guns to compare doesn't prove anything or back up your statement, if you want to do that, lets compare to a sub-4 lb AR.

Last edited by Yondering; 03/01/17.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering

I didn't say that; you're putting words in my mouth and adding details after the fact to support your emotional position. You said:

"The AR design ... is bulky and far less than handy compared to a standard bolt or lever rifle."

It sounds like you asked a question to prove a point and validate your opinion, rather than learn something. If I'd known that initially, I wouldn't have bothered responding, but will remember in the future that you're one of those guys.

As I pointed out an AR can be as slim and light as most lever guns or bolt action hunting rifles, and that is partly why some people enjoy hunting with them. No reason to turn that into a dick measuring contest other than to stroke your ego.

You cherry picking specific lightweight guns to compare doesn't prove anything or back up your statement, if you want to do that, lets compare to a sub-4 lb AR.

What I said was this:

"... no one can convince me the AR's are not bulky and less handy than a svelte bolt rifle or lever gun."

To which you replied this:

[… I just showed you a rifle that is slimmer, shorter, and lighter than your lever gun, but "nobody can convince you"? OK... I guess that was a waste of time, no sense explaining to someone who clings to an opinion in the face of solid evidence. …

I didn’t put words in your mouth, I just responded to what you wrote.

You say I am “cherry picking specific lightweight guns for comparison”. It is true I picked two of my rifles that are lighter and handier (to me) than any AR I’ve handled. I left out my .22” barreled 243 Win Savage FXP3, which the factory says comes in at 6.5 pounds, as does the Savage Axis. Ruger American rifles come in at 6.2 to 6.3 pounds. A Kimber Mountain starts at 4 pounds 13 ounces with a 22” barrel.

When it comes to “slim” you and I obviously have different definitions. The height of an AR, even with a 5 round mag, far exceeds any hunting rifle I own and it is primarily that height that – IMHO – makes it bulky.

Edited to add:

I would like to see a sub-4 pound AR rifle but it would still be bulky.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 03/02/17.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jimmyp
PRI 25 round $37 out of stock now. Good magazines

I take it they are only 6.8 mags?

I might be a player for a 25 rounder in .223/5.56, as the 30's are just too long to be handy.

The 25 round 6.8 mags are the same body length as the 30 round 5.56, the bigger 6.8 case takes up a bit more space in the magazine.

A twenty round 5.56 length magazine is usually limited to 15-17 in 6.8 rounds.

Last edited by AH64guy; 03/01/17.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
If it were me looking for something in an all around AR for hunting both large game and small game, it would be in a 6.5 Creedmoor. If just plinking and shooting varmints, it would be in a .223/5.56. You really can't go wrong with something in the Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, Stag arena.

With all of this stated, I have tried to like an AR for hunting. About the only time it makes sense for me is coyote hunting where you may need a fast follow-up shot. I just cannot get used to the ergonomics of an AR no matter the configuration. I like using a gun boot on a 4-wheeler and that's not happening with an AR. Also, they are harder to master with regards to shot follow-through with all of the moving parts.

Lastly, I absolutely hate cleaning them as you have the upper, lower and BCG that needs cleaning. This is more of a process than just pulling a bolt and cleaning a barrel and wiping the bolt down.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hate cleaning mine too so I don't but about once every 500 rounds or so.

IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh and I don't clean my bolt guns or my M&P pistols anymore often either.

Cleaning is not a reason but more like an excuse to not like an AR.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by devnull
With all of this stated, I have tried to like an AR for hunting. About the only time it makes sense for me is coyote hunting where you may need a fast follow-up shot. ...

Agreed. Having taken a few running shots at coyotes with a semi-auto .22LR, I'd much rather have a semi .223 for that kind of work.

Lastly, I absolutely hate cleaning them as you have the upper, lower and BCG that needs cleaning. This is more of a process than just pulling a bolt and cleaning a barrel and wiping the bolt down.

Pretty much agreed there, too, although 'dislike' is more appropriate for me. Cleaning ARs is like cleaning semi-auto pistols - much more work than a bolt rifle.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I would like to have an AR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a RRA in 308. They make a 6.5 upper now. It should be great for deer out to 300 yes.

I catch a lot of crap for saying " I'll never buy a damn AR""

I have a couple now. I like to shoot them. Wifey does too!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have 4 .458 caliber rifles at the moment.a springfield trapdoor that i have had for 52 years, a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 that i hunted for years after elk, deer , and bear.
next is a siamese mauser that i load for t-rex's just for shizz and giggles, then my AR15 458 socom.
guess which i grab the most in the last few years for deer and elk or bear? the AR. i find it handier then the other three and it just has a cool factor when the warden checks my licence.
i have AR's from 22mag to the 458 including 762x39 and find them all super handy especially with a 1point sling.
just me.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by jimmyp
PRI 25 round $37 out of stock now. Good magazines

I take it they are only 6.8 mags?

I might be a player for a 25 rounder in .223/5.56, as the 30's are just too long to be handy.

I prefer 20 rd Pmags in 5.56 for the same reason. Have a bunch of 30's but rarely use them. The 20's protrude the about same length as the grip.

Yep, the 20rd PMag is my favorite all around .223/5.56 mag. It's short enough to go prone or off the bench without getting in the way and it still holds enough ammo to keep me from reloading for awhile. And they fit nicely in the back pocket as well.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What I said was this:

"... no one can convince me the AR's are not bulky and less handy than a svelte bolt rifle or lever gun."

CH,

The AR is the dominant gun in 3 Gun competitions and the AR looks pretty handy in the hands of a top 3 gunner.

AR do feel different than conventional rifles but the design is very ergonomic.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
What I said was this:

CH,

The AR is the dominant gun in 3 Gun competitions and the AR looks pretty handy in the hands of a top 3 gunner.

"Handy" is a personal determination and 3 Gun competitions have about as much to do with my style of hunting as day does with night.

If attacked by a sounder of hogs I'd rather have an AR in my hands with a full 30-round mag than one of my bolt rifles. That doesn't mean I would consider the AR 'handy', it just means I recognize that a high rate of fire and lots of ammo might save my life.

For big game give me a bolt or lever any day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What I said was this:

CH,

"Handy" is a personal determination and 3 Gun competitions have about as much to do with my style of hunting as day does with night.

If attacked by a sounder of hogs I'd rather have an AR in my hands with a full 30-round mag than one of my bolt rifles. That doesn't mean I would consider the AR 'handy', it just means I recognize that a high rate of fire and lots of ammo might save my life.

For big game give me a bolt or lever any day.

Action rifle shooting is the best test of how a rifle handles.

There are reasons why the ergonomics of the AR dominate the game.

You might not need quick handling in your hunting but if you ever enter a competition that is timed and objectively scored the ergos of the AR will be your friend.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Action rifle shooting is the best test of how a rifle handles.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on that. When hunting big game I've never needed fast reloads, high cap mags or high cyclic rates. ARs do some things very well but my hands much prefer the ergos of a svelte bolt or lever gun for big game hunting purposes. In my opinion - and you are welcome to your own - they carry better and handle and mount more naturally. They are also measurably less bulky, with about half the waist in the magazine area and no grip sticking out.

There are reasons why the ergonomics of the AR dominate the game.

You might not need quick handling in your hunting but if you ever enter a competition that is timed and objectively scored the ergos of the AR will be your friend.

Again, the demands of 3 Gun competitions have very little to do with the realities of my big game hunting needs and preferences. As stated before, I don't dislike ARs and in fact have two, a .223/5.56 and a .300BLK with a .308 in the build process and have purchased ARs for my daughters. They have good ergos for what they are but 'svelte' isn't a word I would apply to them.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm a handgun hunter primarily,but have taken plenty game with a rifle over the years also. Last year I finally built me a 6.8 with a 16" barrel after wanting to for years. I shot a nice 10pt. Whitetail buck and a doe also last season in KY. First big game I've taken with a AR, and I have to say it was very enjoyable to pack around for the 5 or 6 days it took to take those two animals.
The only other rifle/carbine that has compared to it, as of ease of carry, was a Marlin 16" 1894P .44mag. I used to own. When you can carry a lightweight rifle by the grip and dangle it along side your leg, and still have the muzzle 8-12" off the ground, that's a plus to me. And I'm 5'-6"!😄

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I just got 130 grain bullets to shoot in my 6.8! 10 shots went into 2 inches using hornady brass, 23 grains of RL7. Methinks I might add another .5 grain and shoot again! No one can argue a 130 grain bullet at 2200FPS under 150 yards. I have 250 Nosler flat base bullets I bought as seconds many moons ago. I am going to shoot the crap out of them and kill a few deer with them in October.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I haven't killed any deer with s 223 AR, but the 62 grain Barnes kill cshit out of pigs. I think it will kill deer easy.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes the 62 TSX kills deer just fine, in fact I wouldn't be afraid to go after anything with it.

I have 3 Kimber Montana's, have had Remington Mountain rifles as well as their heavy barreled rifles and more than a few sporters. I was calling coyote this weekend with one of my AR's and was reminded that nothing I have ever owned is as comfortable to use than a well built carbine.

If someone doesn't like them, then use something else but I like em just fine.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I never thought I would ever own one ,but I purchased one when I thought they were going to be banned. I'm glad I did, lots of fun.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you look back in history, all the rifles used today for hunting came from military design. Why would the AR be anything different? Seems natural.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (12344mag, 300jimmy, 2UP, 163bc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 18 invisible), 1,779 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,269
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.