Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have come to like the Burris Timberline 4.5-14; something like a 32mm in front, so is not a low light scope. Very compact, focus to 15yds with front AO, fairly reasonable at $250, nice reticle.

Last edited by redz06; 03/13/17.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All my squirrel rifles are in 22LR so that's the extent of my experience and opinions on squirrel rifle optics. Over the years I've come to decide that for my hunting and plinking usage a 2-7x variable suits me fine. Got one with a straight 4x and if limited to a fixed power that's what would get the call. Almost never do anything that requires me to really stretch it out and was never fond of "overscoping" a .22 rimfire. My newest is a 2-7x Vortex Crossfire rimfire scope on a CZ 455 in 22LR and I like the trim lines of it and was recently shooting it at a measured 60 yds. and never felt that I needed any more magnification. Seeing the Hubble Space Telescope on a .22 just never appealed to me, but that's just me and I know lots of guys like more X's in their scopes. Heck; I sometimes still use the iron sighted Winchester Mod. 67 that my dad used in the late 1930's-early 40's.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 22250rem
All my squirrel rifles are in 22LR so that's the extent of my experience and opinions on squirrel rifle optics. Over the years I've come to decide that for my hunting and plinking usage a 2-7x variable suits me fine. Got one with a straight 4x and if limited to a fixed power that's what would get the call. Almost never do anything that requires me to really stretch it out and was never fond of "overscoping" a .22 rimfire. My newest is a 2-7x Vortex Crossfire rimfire scope on a CZ 455 in 22LR and I like the trim lines of it and was recently shooting it at a measured 60 yds. and never felt that I needed any more magnification. Seeing the Hubble Space Telescope on a .22 just never appealed to me, but that's just me and I know lots of guys like more X's in their scopes. Heck; I sometimes still use the iron sighted Winchester Mod. 67 that my dad used in the late 1930's-early 40's.

That is pretty much how I have rolled most of my life. My LH 581 has been my dedicated squirrel rifle for the past 15+ years. It wears a Leupold 4x Rimfire scope with fine duplex reticle. Weighs right at 5 lbs all up, including suppressor, and is great to carry in the woods. Before the 581 was a Rem 514 with a 4x Tasco that my dad gave me when I was 10 years old. Still have the 514, tho the reticle fell out of the scope. I could be content with either of these rifles with a good 4x scope for squirrel hunting for the rest of my years.

Recently "splurged" and picked up a heavy barrel LH Anschutz .22LR. Also purchased a Leupold variable with AO to put on top for paper punching and some squirrel hunting. The extra "X's" and the AO definitely make it a lot easier for the old eyes to clearly see a target at all distances. Coupled with the nice adjustable trigger, the Anschutz is noticeably more consistent in grouping than the 581. However, the 581 with fixed 4x on top just "feels right" for one hand carry while trying to slink thru the woods chasing tree rats.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess one's method for hunting squirrels will dictate one's choice in scopes. My method is to sit in a known "squirrel hollow" and wait them out, taking shots at whatever distances they are presented. To that end, a heavy target rifle with a high magnification target scope is dandy. If I move about it is merely to move to another hollow and then sit again. Were I a fellow who still hunted all day on my feet, I would opt for a lighter rig with a lower magnification scope better suited to taking jittery/moving targets.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I guess one's method for hunting squirrels will dictate one's choice in scopes.

All my squirrel hunting is with my dog. Usually 15 to 20 yards to the tree but they tend to be way up there hiding. I mostly use a tack driving TC contender carbine with a Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire set on 6 or 7. Last year I set up a 10/22 to have better odds when they timber out on us. I got a Leupold VX R 2-7x33 with the parallax set to 50 yards. I keep the dot on high and the magnification on 2. It works well for quick shots and I've gotten a few on the run. If the squirrel is holding, I turn off the dot and crank it up to 4 or 5.

The ruger set up isn't as accurate as the contender but I'm really liking the VX R.

Last edited by Circles; 03/31/17.

Circles
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Thanks for the info. It turned out very nice. I have a LH 581 that is fairly accurate. Currently wearing a well warn factory stock. Would love to have an upgrade like yours...

When you get tired of that LH 581, I would like to get a shot at it. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Leupold 3-9X EFR (extended focus range).

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Leupold 3-9X EFR (extended focus range).

Put one of those on my 39A.

Leupold VX2 3-9x33 EFR CDS AO Windplex

https://www.richiesoutdoors.com/stock/39256/leu-120617-vx-2-3-9x33-rf-cds-m-wplx/

[Linked Image]

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
So, I finally found a CZ 22lr that I liked and pulled the trigger. Its the 455 Lux which translated from Czechoslavokian means "hogback stock without schnabel, Williams rear sight/hooded ramped front sight". Now to scope it...

My choices are basically this:
1. A new to me old Sears marked Weaver K3. Surprisingly it has a lot going for it - very solid glass, no clearance issues and the blue steel body looks like a near perfect "old school" match for the rifle.
2. A Weaver Grand Slam 6-24x44. Total overkill, BUT the rear bell isn't very large/should clear the bolt handle path and I can keep it on 6X 99% of the time. And it will double as a spotting scope at the range, so less gear to drag to the range. :-)
3. Something that I don't already own. Like a blued Burris Mini with AO, or a cool old Weaver/Lyman/Redield/Leupold 6x

I'm leaning K3 even though I have reservations about the magnification.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Kragman

Last edited by kragman1; 04/06/17.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by kragman1
So, I finally found a CZ 22lr that I liked and pulled the trigger. Its the 455 Lux which translated from Czechoslavokian means "hogback stock without schnabel, Williams rear sight/hooded ramped front sight". Now to scope it...

My choices are basically this:
1. A new to me old Sears marked Weaver K3. Surprisingly it has a lot going for it - very solid glass, no clearance issues and the blue steel body looks like a near perfect "old school" match for the rifle.
2. A Weaver Grand Slam 6-24x44. Total overkill, BUT the rear bell isn't very large/should clear the bolt handle path and I can keep it on 6X 99% of the time. And it will double as a spotting scope at the range, so less gear to drag to the range. :-)
3. Something that I don't already own. Like a blued Burris Mini with AO, or a cool old Weaver/Lyman/Redield/Leupold 6x

I'm leaning K3 even though I have reservations about the magnification.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Kragman

My choice would be obvious. wink You may want to look at the Leupold Rimfire 3-9 AO scope or my 2nd favorite, the Leupold 6X36 FXII from their custom shop.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Thanks for the info. It turned out very nice. I have a LH 581 that is fairly accurate. Currently wearing a well warn factory stock. Would love to have an upgrade like yours...

I also have a LH 581 that I sent to Brian Voelker to re-barrel to 17 Mach II. He added another action screw and bedded it. It's really accurate.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This has been a great thread. Very informative. It's decision time for a scope to put on my T-bolt. Has anyone tried either of these scopes, and have opinions?

http://www.nikonsportoptics.com/en/nikon-products/product/null/prostaff-target-efr.html

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...flescope-with-v-plex-moa-reticle/reticle

Thanks.

Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I too lean towards a nice compact fixed power with a fine cross hair..........

[Linked Image]

but I also like to keep my options open.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Find a used M8 4x. If longer parallax bothers you send it in and have it adjusted or do it yourself.

I have a couple older 4x Burris or Bushnell scopes I use on rimfires. Well made scopes and pretty darned clear. I found'em here on the Classifieds, usally around $40 shipped. Many pass over these little gems.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I too lean towards a nice compact fixed power with a fine cross hair..........

[Linked Image]

but I also like to keep my options open.....

[Linked Image]

Awesome pictures FG!

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am pleased with an earlier version of this Burris 2-7 compact scope on my Ruger 77/22.

My scope shows very little parallax and I like the fact that it only weighs 12 ounces. I can't see using a 15 or 16 oz. scope on a 22. I have tried some of the heavy rimfire variables, and they seem to be too much of a good thing, to me.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/fullfield-e1-riflescopes-series/fullfield-e1-riflescope-2-7x35mm

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Here are a couple of pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Burris 6X with AO. First shots with my new rifle at 25 yards. Goofy rest, but I'm looking forward to lots more small groups even if I'm not a good shot anymore

Last edited by kragman1; 04/26/17.

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Nice scope Kragman. Love those Burris 6X AO's. Which crosshairs does it have?

K
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Extra fine duplex. Great for rimfire.
I pirated it off my 582 because this rifle is tricky to scope. Its just a little high for me as it sits but I still have a little room to lower it before the bolt handle rubs so I ordered Millett lows to replace the mediums that are on it now. If it works ill post again with the size of the ocular bell. Someone may want that info. And the Millets are much less expensive than the alternatives.

Now, what do I put on my Remington? I do have a Weaver 6-24 mini telescope that needs a home... :-)

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
I love the fine duplex in the Burris. You're right, fantastic Squirrel combo. I have one with the fine crosshair and dot that I like a lot also, but the still lean toward the fine duplex.
The bolt lift not allowing a low scope mount on the CZ's is my only issue I have with them.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

284 members (2ndwind, 308xray, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 1_deuce, 10ring1, 35 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,051
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.