Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I have always heard that Alabama has a very late deer season so I was looking around a little today. Many areas are open into early February which is pretty awesome but I have a few questions for those with experience there.

First I see there are many WMAs. Are these areas one must draw to hunt? If so, are non-residents able to participate in those lotteries?

Is there quite a lot of public hunting aside from those WMAs? Is it heavily hunted? Anybody here hunt the month of January or February at all on public land?

I hunt public land and don't care about inches just the chance at a good representative buck in beautiful surroundings. Deinately not looking for anyone's spot just an overview.

I'd love the idea of a LATE deer hunt but want to make sure it isn't too good to be true.

Thanks a lot for any insights,

Efw

BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
There is no lottery draw process in Alabama. Buy a license and hunt. Public land is limited and over hunted. Almost 100% of Alabama land is under lease. Not great news. I hunt on a plantation south of Selma. There are many hunt clubs and hunting lodges in the black belt, also hunts where funds collected are given to schools, etc.

Alabama has lot and lots of deer. Small body but some bucks can go 200#,
Limits are three bucks per season and a doe a day for most areas.

Last edited by MissouriEd; 03/14/17.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Damn. That's even more of a generous limit than in GA.

You'll shoot your eye out
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt Union Grove, Northern Alabama in January. Usually around the 15th or so on. That seems to be pretty active chasing/rut period.

We do not hunt public land. Fortunate enough to have a good friend with a 500 acre horse/farm.

Have seen and shot some very nice deer in Alabama.

Ed
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by efw

First I see there are many WMAs. Are these areas one must draw to hunt? If so, are non-residents able to participate in those lotteries?

Is there quite a lot of public hunting aside from those WMAs? Is it heavily hunted? Anybody here hunt the month of January or February at all on public land?

I grew up hunting WMA's and nothing else. They can be great places to hunt if you're willing to work. No draw on the WMA's they are open to anyone with an AL hunting license (res or non-res) and an AL WMA license (~$16 unless they went up). They are "generally" open all season for bow hunting but only set dates for gun hunts. The dates vary for each one and can be found online.

There is not a lot of public ground outside of WMA's. The WMA's get a fair amount of pressure but it's been a couple of years since I've hunted them. It can be a bit of a race to get to where you're going at the start of the day.... Lots of people are lease members which reduces the number who hunt WMA's nowadays. Folks who are willing to put in some footwork and get away from other hunters generally have a better chance on the WMA's.

Most of AL has a January rut. Some areas like Choccolocco WMA have a much earlier late Oct/early Nov rut. This is due to where the deer stocked there came from originally. Check the hunt dates for the WMA you're considering as well as the dates for the rut in that area if you want to be there at "prime time"...which is also often the heaviest hunted times.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have often thought of a late season deer hunt in Alabama with some small mouth fishing for the hogs stacked up behind the dams thrown in would be good trip.
As noted above, land to hunt can be costly or hard to come by in my research.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
260#

[Linked Image]

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I would suggest that a beginning place would be to contact the Game wardens and the county conservation agents for the areas you would like to hunt. They will generally know of the best areas to hunt in their counties. many land owners are under QDM and are unable to harvest all their quota of animals. I found such a place in Jackson county and for several years i shot up to 20 does per year. all the meat was donated.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
YOu might want to look at an Academy hunt. There are lots of those in the black belt.

I hunt a pretty good sized chunk of land and have hunted early december, late December/January and the first 5 days of February and hunting has been fabulous. Well this year it sucked it rained so hard not even ducks were seen.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
what is an academy hunt?

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by kstockfo
what is an academy hunt?

Google it . In a nutshell there are a lot of private schools scattered throughout alabama that off private hunts for fund raising purposes. They are usually 1/2 the price of a lodge hunt.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kstockfo
what is an academy hunt?
. Try calling Chamber of commerce in Selma. They have a two day hunt in the vicinity of$700 for two days. Fully guided and Two or three meals provided.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I'd heard of the Academy Hunts before but never really researched them. I like the idea behind it...hunting to support a school. Kinda like the fund raisers some of the ball teams have locally, buying chances on Glocks and/or AR's. You can hunt the rut from November to February if you're willing to travel around, hunts support schools, and guns raise money for sports.....gotta love Alabama!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Florida is another option for late season hunting.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was not aware of the "academy" hunts. After a little research most appear to be in prime hunting areas and during the rut. By all appearances the landowners are striving to put you on a buck, versus where I would stick you if you hunted my place LOL. Looks like a darn good deal.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow gentlemen a lot of great information here thanks so much keep it coming!

Thanks as well for info on WMAs and their lack of lottery but to clarify… Do WMAs have quotas? Are there daily Hunter number quotas, or annual harvest quotas? If they don't have quotas, in what ways are they "managed" as in their title?

I ask because up here we have a couple WMAs and they're tightly managed with lotteries to get tags.

I've talked to a couple hunting partners about this and am thinking an exploratory trip is in order by January of 2019 at the latest. I am going to actively lobby my wife and a couple of them to make it a long weekend in Jan '18!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you are looking for a good chance at a decent buck, find a guide, lodge, or fundraiser in the Blackbelt for the last couple weeks of Jan. (book early).

If you're looking for a DIY hunt and a unique experience, check out the delta. It is a large tract of Forever Wild (WMA) and a lot of it is very remote.

Steelhead's suggestion of Florida is excellent as well. The don't have near the pressure, since most of 'em come up here to hunt. They think the grass is greener on the other side. North Fl. surprises a bunch of folks, especially the ones that pass it by.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lots of state/national forest land to hunt in Florida.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Bama_Rick
If you are looking for a good chance at a decent buck, find a guide, lodge, or fundraiser in the Blackbelt for the last couple weeks of Jan. (book early).

If you're looking for a DIY hunt and a unique experience, check out the delta. It is a large tract of Forever Wild (WMA) and a lot of it is very remote.

Steelhead's suggestion of Florida is excellent as well. The don't have near the pressure, since most of 'em come up here to hunt. They think the grass is greener on the other side. North Fl. surprises a bunch of folks, especially the ones that pass it by.

Lot of land to hunt in NOrth Florida

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Lots of state/national forest land to hunt in Florida.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steelhead ,

Morning , where did you get that buck in Florida -the one you posted a picture of ?

Ernie ,

My advice on florida would be to get inland -away from the coastal brush/jungle . You will find it very hard to hunt -tangled vines with devils walking canes everywhere -meaning vines with stickers on them like bobcat claws -laf . Very swirly winds that blow 360* and nocturnal deer herd -the rut can start from Christmas and go to turkey season in the spring . Some of the best deer killed are in the late muzzleloader season --last week of season on public land.
Getting back away from the coast you will find far more hardwood tree areas -but with easier access you will also get more hunting pressure of coarse .
I'm in a lease north of panama city beach -off of Hwy. 79 the lease presidents grandson got a doe this year and a pig .
Nobody else has reported getting any deer -not saying they didn't but nothing has been posted on our private facebook page .
I saw my first buck on game cam last fall -and have only saw one Doe there in 5 years -it was at night . I have two cameras running all the time and have only had pictures of a couple of Does . Slim pickens around here for deer - some hogs but they are very smart and hard to kill .
I have went hunting w/a friend near Evergreen ,AL. -very nice lease with plots -herds of deer -brought two Does home each time I went and saw lots of bucks when dog hunting -they're slippery buggers and can get past you real quick like .

The Academy hunts sound good -never heard of them .

Quota hunts around here are first come first served basis -often times quotas aren't even filled - but that's because of the terrain available for hunting -i.e. thick jungle tangled mess with very little deer success . I hear and see of deer killed on WMA's -usually it's by people who live right by the WMA -word is A LOT of baiting goes on in their secret baiting spot -which doesn't bother me -they're just doing what it takes to put a deer in the freezer .

We have a huge predator problem here [protected 500+lb. black bears wild dogs coyotes bobcats panthers] and with only snaring and box traps being legal it will remain the same . Plenty of coons/possums/skunks/fox/hawks/owls/eagles that keep turkey numbers very low also. And the number of trappers in Florida is EXTREMELY LOW almost non existent .

Check out the Delta in south alabama on youtube --very remote places in there .
You better be well equipped with direction -GPS reliable boat/motor etc. and be ready to spend the night . Get lost in there you might not come out .
Seems like every year there are people who die there -lost -flipped boat wet and froze -drown etc. -two young lads died a couple of years ago trying to cross a big body of water in a canoe . It looks like it did 300 years ago .
If you decide to do something like a delta hunt -let me know I've been wanting to go back in there myself . It's not a walk in place for the most part from what I understand .

Good luck to you ..
Mike

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 76 invisible), 2,691 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,683
Posts18,399,735
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.