Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
This one got my attention....never killed him.

He would have my undivided as well

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunted this buck during the 2015 archery season on Camp Bullis just outside of San Antonio. I had him on my game camera 7 different days. I was limited to mostly weekend only hunting because of training priorities. I passed on at least 5 140 class bucks waiting just for him and ended up eating my buck tag. Could not get back into that area last year but will try to get it again this year. Tom
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Only 1.

Working at Co Ven Co up in the Frackville industrial park back in 1989. It was buck season so I just brought the guns to work.

Got off about a half hour before dark on the first Wednesday and decided to sit in the thick stuff in back of the building.

Could only see maybe 40 yards in that junk but I was right near one of the main trails. Caught a glimpse of brown at maybe 35 yards....There was a little opening right in front....What I saw darn near stopped my heart.

Antlers...BIG Antlers. By the time I shouldered the rifle, He was past the opening. Never got a look at him again.

The next afternoon, I got off a little early and went to the same place but I sat about 20 yards closer to the trail. On the way in, I happened to see one of the largest gutpiles I have ever seen.

Didn't see nothin'

Ran into a guy back at the truck and asked him if he knew of someone getting a big buck back in there this morning.

He says "Yes. My brother"

"Was it this big?"...Holding my hands about 2 feet wide..

He says "Well, 14 points and a 22" spread.

I'm a meat hunter.... Antlers don't much matter to me but....I still see that deer in my dreams.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TomA
I hunted this buck during the 2015 archery season on Camp Bullis just outside of San Antonio. I had him on my game camera 7 different days. I was limited to mostly weekend only hunting because of training priorities. I passed on at least 5 140 class bucks waiting just for him and ended up eating my buck tag. Could not get back into that area last year but will try to get it again this year. Tom
[Linked Image]

That's a sweet buck....

When was the photo taken? Looks run down a scootch...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I once shot the wrong buck, letting an amazing non-typical Sitka hop away.

Was sitting in a glassing spot with my girlfriend, who is now my wife. We were atop a pretty good mountain. The fog was thick, but once in awhile it'd clear for 15 seconds or so. I was watching a well used trail leading off the side of the mountain where they go bed in the timber. Sure enough the amazing buck walked right by and I caught a look at him. Huge. Fog immediately set back in. I sent my wife back to the tent, and I slowly crept down the trail to an alpine patch I figured he'd stop and feed in. Hunkered down at the side of the rock and then the fog cleared for few seconds. There he was, just standing there. Fogged in again for a few minutes. Fog cleared and I was ready. He was standing there, in the exact spot looking directly at me. I let him have it, but as soon as I pulled the trigger I knew it wasn't the buck I was after. He dropped.. Nice wide framed 3 point. Out of the bush next to him jumped the huge non-typical and he was down the side of the mountain. I was sick...

I had to take off moose hunting a few days later. Sent my good buddy up there looking for him, but he never found him. My other buddy killed an all time buck right below that spot later that fall. Some big bucks on the hill that year.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one in my avatar pic. Hunted him for 3 years. Was sent a picture of him at the end of the third year season, killed by a phugn dog driver. 22" inside spread, blah blah blah.

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GregW, that photo was taken on 3 Nov 2015. I agree he looks kind of thin/run down but deer like him keep me hunting. Here is a photo from 9 Nov 2015. Tom
[Linked Image]

Last edited by TomA; 03/11/17.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This guy is why I left Kansas empty handed last year. Saw him briefly second day of rifle season and he 's ruined me.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
GregW, that photo was taken on 3 Nov 2015. I agree he looks kind of thin/run down but deer like him keep me hunting. Here is a photo from 9 Nov 2015. Tom
[Linked Image]

Such a cool buck....

Thanks for photo...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a couple that haunted me. Now they are just memories of good hunts that didnt end with a dead deer. I killed a buck 2016 that I put on top of my hit list 2 years ago. 140" 8. With a gun my grandad built back in the 80's and passed on to me.
There's a little more to the story than that, but thats for another day...

Hunt...
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Back in the late 80's I headed out of the Black Hills to fill my prairie tag. It was a Saturday morning and had about 2" of fresh snow. Had a chunk of public land off a dead end section-line that usually held deer so I started there. At first light a couple does were visible and a decent/120" 4 point whitetail stepped into view and my hunt was over.
After I got him gutted and loaded, I was driving back into my grandparents house in Whitewood. Driving through the valley along Whitewood Creek I noticed a doe only ten yards off the pavement bedded down. It was during the rut, so I had to turn around to see if a buck was with her. I slowed down on approaching her and maybe 5 yards beyond her is another deer.
He sees me and immediately shoves his head forward behind a tree. It's about a 12" ash and I can see mainbeam and points on both sides of it.
After 30 seconds or so the doe gets up and walks away toward the creek with this guy right behind her.
My uncle and grandfather each still had their tags and knew the landowner. We tracked him into the creek, and lost sign up on a hillside where the snow had melted. Never did hear of anyone killing him.
I've killed several 150" deer but he is the only whitetail I've ever seen that was a true no-doubt book deer.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tough to miss out on but you will never regret the shot you didn't take as much as the shot you shouldn't have taken.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Years ago deer were not as numerous in KY as they are now. My friend and I had been hunting 4-5 years w/o seeing a buck. Anyway I finally shot a small buck on opening morning the first one either of us had ever seen while hunting and the first deer either of us ever killed. Of course the next morning a buck that looked like bullwinkle showed himself about 300 yds across a field . He was following a doe and they walked right at me while the devil on my right shoulder was saying shoot him and let your buddy tag him, while the angel on my left said no that wouldn't be right. In the end I let him walk and I've never seen a buck even close to his size in the ensuing 35 years even the 150-160 class 10 put I got a few years ago wasn't close.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
If you hunt long enough your bound to accumulate a few ghosts and I have mine also.....I have 2 bucks that come to mind that still haunt Me, they were both in Ohio on bow hunts, swirling wind killed me both times. I got pretty good looks at both bucks and they were both over 170". These sightings were several years back, ive not seen an Ohio buck in that class in 10 years, I think Those were the "good ol days of hunting Ohio" and I fear we will never see them again but damn that was fun!........Hb

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
[Linked Image]

Tom, that buck is old and in pretty bad shape.Hes pretty sway backed, with ribs, spine and hips really showing. I hope he makes it till next year for you, but i wouldnt hold my breath.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/16/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,543
Posts18,453,223
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.