Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rost495
Mother nature should have been able to balance...

But you make my point, you have to manage it SOME way. YOu can't just let people decide... they'll kill anything and everything that walks....

But by "managing" it, you ARE letting people decide. You're culling spikes because you don't like or want spike deer. That's not managing for healthy heard. That's managing for antlers.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by pointer
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Also, just thinking a bit sitting here, if you aren't trying to better your herd, aren't you just participating? Like ball games these days where everyone gets a trophy for being there and there is no score?

Is that a plus or shouldn't we do everything we set out to do to the best of our abilities, even if we fail in that effort?

I ain't trying to better a f*cking thing. That mentality has given us 'Global Warming' and the believe that we can control waters with levees and dams.

In the end, mother nature will prevail. I don't like feeding deer, I don't like 'managing' deer, as I believe the more we f&ck with shiet, the more fu*ked it becomes.

Let mother nature deal with nature.

Then we'll agree to disagree on this one.

Mother nature screwed our deer herd up so bad for so many years, being that there were basically no rules other than shoot no does, and now that we have management we have more and better deer...

Its hard for me to run the thought of leave it all alone is best sometimes.
Mother nature wasn't doing the screwing in that scenario...

exactly.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure you wouldn't talk to him about it before hand. I'm also sure you would post hand if he decided he wanted you to.

I'm sure he would even make an exception if you or family were starving. However, that wasn't the intent of the thread. If only obviously at minimum.

Last edited by battue; 03/21/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have had restrictions in my areas for years now. I didn't agree on the git-go but must admit lately I've been seeing larger bodied & horned animals.

Only thing is you need most people to follow the rules, and we all know how that goes with people.

-Ken

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone

But you make my point, you have to manage it SOME way. YOu can't just let people decide... they'll kill anything and everything that walks....

But by "managing" it, you ARE letting people decide. You're culling spikes because you don't like or want spike deer. That's not managing for healthy heard. That's managing for antlers.

Well since most think they totally get me... I don't shoot all spikes. I shoot ones that I think need to be shot. But its about herd health, the midget deer, ain't good for the herd IMHO. I may be wrong, but bigger and healthier seem to do better in the long run.

We need to get this stuff out of folks heads that antler restrictions sole goal is for bigger head gear. Its sole goal( or at least should be IMHO) is for healthier deer herds.

Face it, deer herds will have to be managed one way or another.

Our local rules basic goal is to have deer of an older age class before they are legal. Helped out how and what actually bred. And let deer age long enough to be able to breed.

Shoot an illegal by rules but old buck, I've heard the wardens let that go almost all the time now... shoot a young almost legal you get a ticket.

Whats the flip side solution to this? Let everyone shoot anything no rules?

Although part of me does like what Scott has offered a few times. If it was you can shoot one deer a year, no rules to it, it might be fine too in a way. Thats one deer per X acres to me, and then make it whatever you want to shoot or whenever in the year you need or want to shoot it.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The main things I've gathered from this thread are that I have a bunch more in common with, and new found respect for Steelhead and Tzone than I ever thought possible....And... Rost495 is just as much of an azzhole as I always thought he was. SKane ain't too far behind him either.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Well since most think they totally get me... I don't shoot all spikes. I shoot ones that I think need to be shot. But its about herd health, the midget deer, ain't good for the herd IMHO. I may be wrong, but bigger and healthier seem to do better in the long run.

We need to get this stuff out of folks heads that antler restrictions sole goal is for bigger head gear. Its sole goal( or at least should be IMHO) is for healthier deer herds.

Our local rules basic goal is to have deer of an older age class before they are legal. Helped out how and what actually bred. And let deer age long enough to be able to breed.

Shoot an illegal by rules but old buck, I've heard the wardens let that go almost all the time now... shoot a young almost legal you get a ticket.

Although part of me does like what Scott has offered a few times. If it was you can shoot one deer a year, no rules to it, it might be fine too in a way. Thats one deer per X acres to me, and then make it whatever you want to shoot or whenever in the year you need or want to shoot it.

But people are still interfering what Ma Nature is doing. She kinda has this thing figured out.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Skane is far from as [bleep] man.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
The main things I've gathered from this thread are that I have a bunch more in common with, and new found respect for Steelhead and Tzone than I ever thought possible....And... Rost495 is just as much of an azzhole as I always thought he was. SKane ain't too far behind him either.

Neither of them are azzholes, not by a long shot.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Skane is far from as [bleep] man.
Call me a liar and tell me I don't know WTF I'm doing when it comes to proper handling of game meat and you're a clueless azzhole period. It aint the first time that azzhole has called me a liar either.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Neither of them are azzholes, not by a long shot.
Sorry, never could stomach Rost. I posted my reason for not having any use for Kane above.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by tndrbstr
Originally Posted by battue
Same old, same old. North or South there are the have and the have-nots, and there are advantages to being a have.

I tell you what I enjoy. Is the look on some of these anglers faces, sitting a 40 thousand dollar bass boat, about to go bat schit crazy because they see someone throw a legal small mouth into a cooler full of ice! Now THAT's Funny!!

The head hunters ain't much different, yep, nothing that more regulations can't take care of....

I like that too

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by fishdog52
For a long list of reasons, I believe that AR are essentially anti-hunting.
The most recent bit of evidence: that the legislature here in New York is behind the current effort, the same folks that brought us the SAFE act.
The DEC is not involved and does not agree.
It is disappointing, in the extreme, that the QDM and other selfish "sportsman are begging for more regulations by supporting yet another back door effort, bypassing the wildlife biologists.
The "holier than thou" attitude of these folks is noted.

I believe you are spot on.

Yep - fuggin Yankees. cool

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nothing like a deer management thread to get people worked up. Leave the game management up to the Biologists.

I think AR's are the best thing PA ever did, totally changed the hunting and the deer herd for the better just like the Biologists said it would. I am not sure if it would work that way in NY or not. I would feel better about it if it was Biologists saying it was needed and not some numb nut politician pushing it. NY screws up just about everything it does.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jdunham
NY screws up just about everything it does.

Amen Brother.

My last post here.

NYS 2 years ago tried a program where we could only shoot antlerless deer during the first 2 weeks of the bow season. The stated reason was to increase the doe take and reduce the buck take. The result was most guys just didn't hunt the first 2 weeks of bow. From a management perspective it was a total flop. The state got the message and the regs were changed BACK the following year.

Bottom line for me is this. Spoiled brats with lots more money than sense are pushing this. The paid, professional biologists DO NOT support this as a management tool in all but a small partof NY over run with NYC "hunters". But - it's NY, so money and political corruption usually rules the day. ARs won't effect me much, but I do feel bad for the folks that don't have the time or money to hold out for the "new" legal deer. I hope they don't give up and quit hunting all together.

YMMV

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like they are trying to turn NY into California. We have a forked horn or better law. But on either side. So a 1 by 2 is legal. We also have an approx success rate around 10%. That's an average of one deer in 10 years!

In my opinion the legislature is trying to reduce the number of successful hunters. Not to increase the size of the bucks. Out here buck gets big antlers by being smart.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jdunham
Nothing like a deer management thread to get people worked up. Leave the game management up to the Biologists.

I think AR's are the best thing PA ever did, totally changed the hunting and the deer herd for the better just like the Biologists said it would. I am not sure if it would work that way in NY or not. I would feel better about it if it was Biologists saying it was needed and not some numb nut politician pushing it. NY screws up just about everything it does.

Serious question, what was wrong with the herd BEFORE APR's?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

But people are still interfering what Ma Nature is doing. She kinda has this thing figured out.
That's the point I tried to make to him what whooshed right over his head.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Man thinks WAY to highly of themselves. The more the f&ck with sheit, the worse it gets.

Just a question Jeff, if every ounce of corn, every bail of alfalfa and every water tank was pulled out of Texas and not allowed for deer, do you think the population would remain the same?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
SO, how do you NOT interfere with nature? If you are harvesting, you are interfering?

I"m just curious what the no hands on solution is?

I might even agree with it actually. You never know.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 10 of 14 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

415 members (10gaugeman, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 160user, 39 invisible), 1,898 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,390
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.