Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I didn't intend to go off topic ,but ,there are many variables to consider.As in many things ,you can't please everyone!

BP-B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Taxes in this state would make a lot of peoples jaw hit the floor!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by keystoneben
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I hunt to fill the freezer. It's fun when the king tells you which ones of the king's deer you can kill and which ones you can't.

God forbid someone shoots a 2 1/2 year old forkhorn for the freezer.

So the "king" never tells you when you can hunt, or how many deer your allowed to shoot?

PA public education?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Autofive
I didn't intend to go off topic ,but ,there are many variables to consider.As in many things ,you can't please everyone!

Auto the best may yet come. Camps in Pa were broken apart because of this. I don't know of any divorces, but I wouldn't bet against at least one.

Last edited by battue; 03/17/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Taxes in this state would make a lot of peoples jaw hit the floor!

Once upon a time I was looking at some places in NY State, much of my family originally came from there.

There were lots of places I looked at where the monthly property taxes just about equaled the mortgage, and I'm only talking 200K +/- homes with a little acreage.

Last year a paid %350.

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
How many DOE are you allowed to kill in upstate NY during rifle season?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
In the area that I hunt it's one doe during the regular season,if, you draw a antlerless tag.But, I also get an either or tag and an antlerless tag for bow/muzzle loader.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
So if you don't draw an antlerless tag, then you're only option for putting a deer in your freezer during rifle season might have to have 4 points on a side or some such silliness.

We've lost touch with what the very reason for hunting is. The further we move away from it, the worse things will become.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
How many DOE are you allowed to kill in upstate NY during rifle season?
It varies in different parts of the state. Some areas issue no doe tags, some areas issue two tags per hunter. In the areas with no doe tags the only way to legally take a doe is during bow or muzzleloader season. The dipshyts who say "just shoot a doe if you want meat" likely aren't aware that isn't an option for everybody in all areas. Also, the ones who think you should be willing to pass up a lesser buck likely never hunted in the areas where hunting dawn to dusk every day for a week might very well result in no bucks sighted at all. In those low deer density areas you see horn you better shoot or be prepared to eat tag soup.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In the area that I hunt it's one doe during the regular season,if, you draw a antlerless tag.But, I also get an either or tag and an antlerless tag for bow/muzzle loader.

What are the odds of not drawing a Doe tag? How many years out of the last 10 did you not draw one?

Last edited by battue; 03/17/17.

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Steely,if the proposed law passes and I don't draw a doe tag then my only legal option would be a buck with at least three on one side in the area that I most often hunt.That's during the regular gun season.If I buy an additional bow and muzzle loader tag that will give me an either/or tag plus a doe tag.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bbassi
My take, FWIW. I own and hunt land in the north country, upstate and the southern tier. North of Syracuse I would consider any buck a trophy due to the lower density. Around home in Western NY we grow some bruiser bucks and I've been more than blessed to kill quite a few really nice 3+ yo bucks. We also have access to more doe tags then I would ever need to fill in a year. I hunted the Southern tier a lot more when I was younger but still hunt Steuben/Allegheny with friends from time to time. The deer heard in that area is but a shadow of what it once was, but there are lots and lots of really nice deer taken down there every year WITHOUT the need for ARs.

One of the biggest problems I see is we are losing hunters every year in this state for a multitude of reasons. What I'm afraid ARs will do is discourage the guy that can maybe only get out one or 2 days a year. If Joe weekend hunter now has to let bucks walk , he very well could decide it's not worth it anymore to buy that $40 license that supports the sport. Not every guy who likes to hunt can afford to take time off to do so, but we NEED every dam one of those hunters to continue the pursuit or pretty soon they wont be anything left of the sportsman's voting block and then there wont be any hunting left at all.

When we were younger we used to think ARs were a good idea, BUT - Who am I to tell you what you should be able to shoot or not shoot? If a guy want's to shoot a yearling spike and it makes him happy, God bless him. That should be his choice. Bottom line - you don't NEED ARs to grow big bucks, you just need some self control. The a$$wholes who are pushing this are just a bunch of greedy, self righteous Yankees that want to control chit that ain't theirs.

Excellent post and right on.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Steely,if the proposed law passes and I don't draw a doe tag then my only legal option would be a buck with at least three on one side in the area that I most often hunt.That's during the regular gun season.If I buy an additional bow and muzzle loader tag that will give me an either/or tag plus a doe tag.

I know my great aunt would shoot one out her back window on the farm. She didn't care about horn size, she wanted the meat. It was huge for her to get a deer to help supplement. As they grew older they couldn't handle taking care of farm animals any longer.

I'm talking about the 1970's and into the 90's. She finally had electricity brought to the house in the late 80's. They still used an outhouse till her death.

I'm pretty sure she's wouldn't be running out to purchase a bow or muzzleloader to kill the one deer the king allows.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
In a neighboring county where the 3 point rule is law,there are very few doe permits given,and then only for land owners and not every year for them!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
In the area that I hunt the most I get a doe tag ,on average,sixty five percent of the time.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
In a neighboring county where the 3 point rule is law,there are very few doe permits given,and then only for land owners and not every year for them!
Area 40 by chance ? That's where I am. Luckily I have places to hunt in area 7M so that's the DMU where I get my doe tags as of late.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok, how many years out of the last 10 have you not had a Doe tag for some area?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
Ok, how many years out of the last 10 have you not had a Doe tag for some area?
I've been turned down twice in the past 10 years. Luckily for me transfering doe tags from one hunter to another is legal and both years my dad got issued a doe tag and gave them to me. Dad hasn't hunted in years but still gets his license every year just so he can give his doe tags {if any} to me. Still, there have been a couple years I didn't have a doe tag. In those years I still killed a couple with bow and/or muzzleloader but not everyone hunts with bow or mz or wants to.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
BH ,I hunt 7P,but I am a member of a club in 40.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Interesting. Recruit Aunt Nellie and it should be a slam dunk.

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
633 members (12344mag, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,978 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,664
Posts18,399,333
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.