Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
This may be a stupid auestion but I am going to ask anyway.

I shot a little buck at the end of this season and decided to do a Euro mount. Instead of boiling the skull, waiting on wild insects or natural decomposition to remove the flesh, I bought some dermestid beetles to experiment with. So besides the skull, I kept a few of the leg bones and both shoulder blades to give the beetles something to practice on before moving on to the skull.

Now that I have a handful of femurs, shoulder blades, etc...I have been wondering what I can do with them. Of course knife handles came to mind.

Is there anything special that needs to be done with the leg bones besides maybe drying for a period of time? Anyone here ever worked with it?

Curious if it is something worth pursuing or should I just give these to the dogs to gnaw on?

Thanks

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Too small, thin. I've used bleached cow bones before and they've turned out ok.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The knife in this pic has a handle of leg bone from the deer I shot in same place 11 years previous.
The bones can crack if left lay around. I boiled mine a little and removed the marrow before letting dry and shrink down.
The whole center is full of 2 part epoxy and the end cap is screwed on.
Good luck.
Tim
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 03/16/17.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice deer and pictures.

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Tim, how far in there were you? I spent a good bit of time in and around the Huntsman Ridge trail (past the cutoff for Marble), and the east creek trail (Redstone)

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
This was in the Maroon Bells W.A. just down from Capitol Peak Lake.
The deer that furnished the leg bone was shot the day before the 9/11 strike and was bigger than his grandson in the pic from 2012.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't imagine a deer being shot and surviving 11 years, only to be shot by the same guy again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The one who furnished the leg bone was killed the day before the 9/11 strike and the grandson was in 2012. Eleven years apart just as noted above.
Leg bone deer 2001, leg bone knife handle deer 2012.

Not real tough to figure, or at least I thought not.
Tim

Was the Glib or Flippant?????

Albert Einstein

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
"The knife in this pic has a handle of leg bone from the deer I shot in same place 11 years previous"

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
To answer the OP more clearly.
Leg bones work just fine. You should boil them, clean them out and let them dry. I would suggest a full length stick tang with a butt cap that is fastened to the tang and the bone filled with 2 part epoxy.
That is the method I used on the knife in the pics I posted above with a 11 year old leg bone for the handle.
Go for it.
Tim

Albert Einstein

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (16penny, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 20 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,216
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.