Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
What a moron. Probably drove there in a shiny sports car too. Never chrony'd a lot of loads. Only to check SD of the powder I was using and it wasn't mine. I simply shoot and load whatever is accurate and appropriate for whatever I'm hunting. Velocity is the least of my concerns.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
not sure if my story resonates with the OP's topic but I was at the local range a few years back and there was one table that was producing the loudest "bang" among all of those tables. When cease fire was called, all walked to the target to get their targets and I had my son go get our target and the owner of the loudest bang at the table walked away and I took a walk over there and looked at her ammo box and it was a 7 Remington Mag. I hardly see these calibers at the range as most places around here is not a long shot at least locally.

Then when we were given the "go" to shoot I glanced over and the person at loudest "bang" table was an elderly lady probably in her 45's to 50's and it surprised me. Not sure why she bought that or whoever sold that to her. When when she shot the rifle I noticed her barrel was resting on the block of wood...the block was not under the stock. I immediately knew she did not know how to shoot properly nor know proper technique for shooting :-) so much for having the loudest bang at the range!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a chopped Swede still carrying its 109 year old military barrel. Put together some ladder loads and every round was inside 1 moa all the way into the point where I was getting pressure indications.

It was initially purchased to be a truck gun. No way! Getting it tricked out and it will live in the safe.

1Minute
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=valad]
Then when we were given the "go" to shoot I glanced over and the person at loudest "bang" table was an elderly lady probably in her 45's to 50's and it surprised me.

ELDERLY!!! Am I the only one that picked up on this. Why you young whipper snapper insulting a young woman n her prime.
Signed
Old codger over 60.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kids these days !!!!!...... (67)

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My eyes are pretty damn good but I can't always tell if a bullet is traveling at 2500fps or 3000. smile

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TexasPhotog
Originally Posted by sambo3006
You should have chrono'd his 7mm mag. then you could have bought it from him cheap.

That's funny and likely true.

Last yr. I graphed some PRVI 140 ammo from my 70 with 22" bll. My graph is an Oehler 33, distance 15' from muzzle.

2200 + fps. / it's not just American ammo.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 03/13/17.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I killed my first dozen deer with a bow and a 30/30. My records indicate a 30/30 has less than 1000 foot pounds of energy at 200 yards. However, the Swede has about 1500 foot-pounds at 200 yards. And I would use a 30/30 at 200 yards or less. So I do consider the Swede more than adequate for deer. I have nothing bad to say about the Swede. It is not a magnum but in my experience you do not need a magnum for deer.

In the past, (sitting at camp) whenever somebody quotes which rifle or caliber is the best for deer, I always remember my results with a 30/30. I have had a few heated discussions. Here is what I have found out. Usually a person that has never used a 30/30 on deer, badmouths, everything except the gun/caliber that they are using.

Do I consider the 30/30 a good cartridge at 200 yards or less. NO! I consider it an excellent cartridge! There is an old saying " You can't argue with success!" And the Swede is better than a 30/30.

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I once read a short story where a fellow had a fish scale in his tackle box . His buddy,s kid caught a nice bass and was thrilled that his big bass had to weigh at least 5-6 lbs. his buddy borrowed the scale & when they weighed it it was about 3 1/2 lbs and the Kid was crushed . The story teller stated that he dropped the scale over the side and hasn't weighed a fish since, saying if a man thinks he caught and is thrilled with a 5 lb bass I don't care if it's 8" long I'm happy for him.. Though I have one I regard chronographs the same way.

Last edited by bangeye; 03/14/17.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by cra1948
The furthest I've killed a deer with a 7 RM is about 200 yards. With a 6.5x55 it's right on 400. 7 RM must be a short range caliber.

For sure. I've only killed a buck at 150 yards with my 300 Win, mag. It's a real short range gun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
And he road the short bus home...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If you fool with rifles and chronographs long enough, you'll find that the "advertised" load thing is pretty much a myth. I've seen some loads "under preform" by a bunch, and some "over preform" by a like amount. For some reason, my 243's most always seem to do better than what the manuals claim while the 7-08 often does less. But, when the dust is settled and smoke has cleared, there are a lot more important factors than a few more fps of velocity.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In 50 plus years of shooting/hunting I've yet to crony a load.

If it works, it works. It's up to me to position it. I don't need to obsess over speed.

Good groups, bullet construction/performance, and knowing the trajectory of the round is far more important than speed.

The crony will only tell you how it should perform according to the charts. You still have to shoot it at ranges.
The other thing it might tell you is the consistency of your loads, which can be a good thing. Again provable otherwise by actual shooting.

I cut out the chrony middleman....tho I do use the factory statistics and charts- which seldom exactly match the gun/me /range live shoots.

Last edited by las; 03/16/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by las

If it works, it works. It's up to me to position it. I don't need to obsess over speed.

Good groups, bullet construction/performance, and knowing the trajectory of the round is far more important than speed.

The crony will only tell you how it should perform according to the charts. You still have to shoot it at ranges.
The other thing it might tell you is the consistency of your loads, which can be a good thing. Again provable otherwise by actual shooting.

I cut out the chrony middleman....tho I do use the factory statistics and charts- which seldom exactly match the gun/me /range live shoots.

Wow!

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by las

Wow!

David

Yes David +2

Add this to that.

bangeye
Campfire Guide

"I once read a short story where a fellow had a fish scale in his tackle box . His buddy,s kid caught a nice bass and was thrilled that his big bass had to weigh at least 5-6 lbs. his buddy borrowed the scale & when they weighed it it was about 3 1/2 lbs and the Kid was crushed . The story teller stated that he dropped the scale over the side and hasn't weighed a fish since....
Though I have one I regard chronographs the same way."
------------------

If one is hunting in woods/short range velocity (speed) isn't very important. But....

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by sambo3006
You should have chrono'd his 7mm mag. then you could have bought it from him cheap.

Used to hunt with a 7mm Rem mag. One day I decided to run the 140 gr Remington factory load over the chronograph.

3225 fps...

I was impressed. I didn't hunt with it a long time, but everything I shot was also impressed. Kinda zippy!

Regards, Guy

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I chronograph a 30/378, 180 grain factory ammo. Got 3,200 FPS. Which is (I believe) what the factory claimed. I was impressed. I told the owner that the recoil was about the same as my 30/06. Then I asked him if he ever shot the rifle without the muzzle brake.

He said "Yes, once, then I flinched for a month!"

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
J
J
I have a bull elk in my freezer that will say otherwise.

6.5 anything is accurate and hit hard. Even though velosity seems weak compared to other rounds. I honestly wish that I started shooting 6.5's sooner.

Last edited by JeremySTW; 04/03/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 1minute
Have a chopped Swede still carrying its 109 year old military barrel. Put together some ladder loads and every round was inside 1 moa all the way into the point where I was getting pressure indications.

It was initially purchased to be a truck gun. No way! Getting it tricked out and it will live in the safe.

I blew mine up, felt really bad about it until I heard who else in this world has blown up a rifle. 1926 made I believe, "butchered" and I had to replace the replacement safety it came with. But it shot well and truck gun was my plan also as I only had about $210 into it.

I have 1918 Gustaf in full military garb that I had planned on "customizing". Purchased in the 90's for $85 from Big-5. Had a B Square no gunsmithing mount and a cheap Simmons 4x pistol scope mounted on it and it shot Remington 140's quite accurately. As in a +/- 2" three shot group at 200 yds. As the value of the original military versions keeps going up I can't bring myself to "sporterize" it.

Not when I have 6.5x55 bbl for another rifle I own and it shoots even better than the old girl.

Someday even more 6.5x55's might find their way into my locker.................. I hope.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Canazes9
Originally Posted by las
In 50 plus years of shooting/hunting I've yet to crony a load. If it works, it works. It's up to me to position it. I don't need to obsess over speed.
The other thing it might tell you is the consistency of your loads, which can be a good thing. Again provable otherwise by actual shooting. I cut out the chrony middleman....tho I do use the factory statistics and charts- which seldom exactly match the gun/me /range live shoots.

Wow! David

Hello David. Would you mind explaining what is "Wow" about las post?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1234, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,192
Posts18,465,818
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.