Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd have to agree with:
Spiral bound for cookbooks, regular for reference books.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
BP-B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks for the feedback. Anybody else got an opinion on bound vs. spiral?

Spiral will last longer. Regular binding, especially paperback, will come apart. Those that prefer a regular binding, probably aren't even real loonies. A real loonie will be using the book so much, it will fall apart.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John, I just ordered a book. I live in Columbus Mt. Let's see what the Denver Vortex can do. smile
I have had things shipped from the east coast and have it get to Billings and then go to California, then back to Billings and of course go right past my town to Missoula and then back to Billings and then to Columbus.
Let's see what happens,
Ken

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it was a straight load manual, I would vote for spiral, but since its so much more than a regular load manual, regular binding works better!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Thanks for the feedback. Anybody else got an opinion on bound vs. spiral?

Spiral will last longer. Regular binding, especially paperback, will come apart. Those that prefer a regular binding, probably aren't even real loonies. A real loonie will be using the book so much, it will fall apart.

That's what duct tape is for!!!

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I had mine spiral bound along with RLN and prefer it. Regular binding splits and then the pages fall out. Also, it's nice to have the book lie flat when open.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Would definitely like to hear from anybody who's copy of GACK splits and has pages fall out. My experience is that even regular-bound paperback books hold up very well--if put together correctly.

I still have the first copy of GUN DIGEST I ever purchased, back in the 1960's, which has been read a LOT! The binding's still in fine shape.
My personal copy of GACK (which is referred to VERY often, partly to make sure I remember what I wrote) is from the first printing, almost two years ago, and is also in fine.

We've been using our present printer for a few years now, and have had very good luck with them, but are always looking for ways to improve.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
On my copy, the first two pages of the contents are coming loose along the bottom two inches or so. The glue of the binding has cracked or separated in that area.It gets a little worse whenever I open to the contents pages. I got the book right after it came out, so first printing I believe?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

I had my copy spiral bound and I am very happy with it.

I will note that after the spiral binding there is very little margin left on the inside edge of the pages. The printing and the holes are slightly overlapping toward the end of the book, but everything is readable.

This may just be the fault of Office Max, who did the binding for me. If there was a bit more margin to begin with, this probably would have worked a bit better.

The responses seem to be evenly divided. Maybe you could offer both versions.

I do greatly enjoy the book.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had mine spiral bound and it has held up beautifully.

Glad I got it, but the major advantage is the incredible amount of very helpful info in the book regardless of the binding. It's a sweetie!

Steve

Last edited by 7x57STEVE; 03/16/17.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Waiting on mine now, I'd planned on buying it a few months months back but this thread finally pushed me over the edge. Also got RLN while I was at it. Fantastic writing by one of the campfire's best

David

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

And thanks to everybody else for feedback on the binding question. Would especially be interested in hearing from anybody who's had trouble with their copy coming apart.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Im liking the Spiral bound idea too.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Is yours coming apart?

John Steinbeck
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
No. but it would be easier to lay flat on the loading bench for easy reference. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks!

And thanks to everybody else for feedback on the binding question. Would especially be interested in hearing from anybody who's had trouble with their copy coming apart.

John,
I am in my 44th year in the printing industry and the perfect binding on this spine and yes, I have my copy too, is designed for a lifespan, commonly 1 to a few years. The next step up to explore would be Burst Binding which is the individual folded signatures glued into the spine.

Only the binding machine changes as perfect binding cuts off the folded spine portion anyway which is created on the Signature folders. (If Sheet Fed printed)

A book that is designed for a life time, not that any of us have another period that long in front of us, is to have the signatures stitched into a case bound hard cover version.

That is why many books are released that way and when sales wane, at that point the perfect bound copy gets released as that market segment, doesn't tend to value books as a life long investment.

Burst Binding will increase the cost marginally but should not be prohibitive considering your market recognizes the value you bring to this industry.

Wiro and Spiral binding is likely to me more costly and can look "tacky" like and old Lyman reloader book.
John
PS: Got mine last night and have only flicked through it so far.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Thanks very much for your input, as I was actually thinking about contacting you about this question. We have looked into spiral binding, since we've done it with three of Eileen's cookbooks, but it would indeed be very expensive for a book this size--and since the shipped price is already $32.50, it would increase the price to over $35, which is a definite stick-shock level these days. The Burst Binding sounds like a good deal.

However, we are also thinking of giving the next printing a wider margin on the spine side, for anybody who wants to have their own copy spiral-bound.

Hope you enjoy your copy!

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
John,
On that basis, with a wider margin you have another cheaper option if the reader doesn't mind, that being, to have the inner edge stapled. Maybe even 2 staples would be adequate but you will need an old time printer these days to find the find of stitcher I am referring to.

Some binders also apply a tape strip over the staples along the spine and wraparound to prevent scratches and minor cuts. You would have seen that on some older style heavier covered books already.

Only downside it is is handwork and not automated but could also be done in smaller batches to spread the costs?
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would it be impractical to offer your books in different bindings, MD?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I ordered Gack , Troubleshooting , and Looney news on the 15th. I can't wait for them to get here. I am catching up on looney news fast! Lots of great info in there. Thanks J.B.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
464 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 971 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,143
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.