Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
To call Doug Butler a "shoer", is the epitome of understatement!
wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by ironbender
To call Doug Butler a "shoer", is the epitome of understatement!
wink

Lol....true and now class you see where most of these old time rumors and such come from.

"My dad always said".........etc. no offense to anyone's family but they're not always correct even though they believe what they're telling with all their heart.

Last edited by Kaleb; 03/15/17.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
I've seen white feet that are hard and strong. I've seen black feet that are weak, soft and shelly.

Research has been done on this (IIRC, by Doug Butler) and pigment, or the lack of it, is not the cause.

A white hoof tends to have thinner hoof walls.

Generalizations like that have no basis. Have you read Butler?

I don't know Butler, for that matter, I don't know the depth of the knowledge of horses on the Campfire, but if it is as full of holes as the rest of the information that is shared here, there is much room for misinformation.

All I know was this cowboy did know horses and when he told me light hooves were more prone to problems, I took him at his word for his experience. I'm sure he ate more horses than most of these drug store cowboys ever rode.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, I'll just ask a simple question. Do you believe the genetic makeup of an individual can influence their type (ie do you think no one is more susceptible to defects or disease than the next due to their dna. If you do I'm sure AMA would be interested in your research)?

Has Butler performed conclusive genetic/dna research pertaining to the subject? He does seem to be a hell of a marketer, but didn't see anything on him as a research scientist. I don't know so I'm asking.

Until then, I'm going to hedge my bets by going on my experience.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The information is available to anyone willing to do a Google search.

I have ever no interest in forcing you to believe the facts.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
If I may interrupt this disagreement briefly , I'll throw James Steward's horse, "Pie", into the mix.
Interesting in that the horse was Steward's own horse.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have avoided the genetic makeup question too.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pie was quite the horse for Jimmy Stewart. I heard of this story and just found proof.

http://www.npr.org/2016/03/21/47128...e-horses-that-captured-moviegoers-hearts

"they just became so attuned to each other that in one film, "The Far Country," Stewart had developed such a rapport with him that he was able to get the horse to do something at liberty all by himself when the trainer was not around. They were on this location. The trainer wasn't on the set. And the horse needed to walk from one end of a street to another with no ropes on him or anything, and Stewart just went up to him, he said he whispered in his ear and told him what he needed him to do. And the horse did it. And everyone on the set was absolutely amazed, and Stewart just said, that was Pie. That's what he did. So he absolutely had an incredible bond with the horse"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As to hooves, my two cents and worth half as much, though my farrier friends claim there is no difference in a dark hoof and a light hoof, from a lifetime of ranching and using horses in dry, rough country I will take a dark hoof every time over a light one. In fact, horses or cattle, I never turn down pigment.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
398 members (280shooter, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1_deuce, 51 invisible), 2,350 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,723
Posts18,400,590
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.