Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree. I don't put the DeepCurl in the same category as something like an Accubond. The DeepCurl is like a middle ground between a cup and core and a bonded or partitioned bullet. An Accubond will retain as much weight when driven 400+ fps faster. I see the DeepCurl as a really good deer bullet but I don't think it can or should try to compete in the premium market.

Here's the cross section:

[Linked Image]

FWIW, I'm loading the DeepCurls light (~2830 fps) and Accubonds 200 fps faster from my 300 win mag.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I bought some 30 cal. 180 gr. Deep Curls because I thought the name and box was cool. Sometimes I think bullets are like fishing lures to me. But I digress. Bet they would work great in my '06 on whitetails. Love the picture of the recovered 308 shot bullet, very nice.

`Bring Enough Gun`
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Apologies for the delay - been out of town.

Great discussion, thanks for all the insight, pics and experience shared. Especially Mule Deer, very much appreciate your taking the time to share your knowledge!

I will give these Deep Curls a whirl, and see how they shoot. If they are accurate enough, they should be good enough deer medicine.

Like others, I have settled on the TTSX as my large animal bullet but have been playing around with selecting a Deer bullet. I was kinda leaning towards the Accubond, but as a fellow Looney, just have to experiment I suppose.

I hope to do some shooting today and will report back.

Bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bob: I have found the Deep Curls to be very easy to find a good load for. I have use a lot of 120/257cal in 25/06, 257R, and 257AI. Very accurate. Terminal performance looks excellent on deer based on the tissue damage, but have never caught a bullet to see what they look like. Based on that experience, I bought a bunch on 165/30's and 150//270s., when MidwayUSA had them on sale. They have also proven accurate in a 300Sav, 30/06, and 270WSM. No deer yet, but the hogs sure don't like em.

I think they are a great bullet. Too bad Speer can't seem to figure out what the bleep they are doing.

Look forward to hearing your results.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've been getting a bunch of them from Rocky Mountain Reloading. They are priced right and seem to be as accurate as any other Bullet I've used.

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As to the original question, isn't the driving force behind all products providing what the consumer wants? (Belief of that ranks right up there with supply and demand determining price and the Easter Bunny.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As to the original question, isn't the driving force behind all products providing what the consumer wants? (Belief of that ranks right up there with supply and demand determining price and the Easter Bunny.)

Did consumers ask for a new non melting tip on Hornady bullets?

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I used 150 grain Grand Slams on hogs from a308 win often.

Wish they still made those

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have some Deep Curl's (or Fusions?) that I was given -- 200 gr 338's.

From the sounds of it, I won't be pushing them to full velocity out of a 338 Win Mag. Probably ok in a 338 Federal.

Last edited by Bugger; 03/22/17.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I still have a few boxes of deep shock bullets. They were a different bullet and short lived but an interesting design. Does anybody know much about them?

Bb

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The Deep Shok were a standard c+c design, but with a sophisticated heavy jacket that constricted tightly in the middle to hold the core in.

They work very well in a 90 grain 6mm form.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Exactly--but Speer also hoped to sell Deep Shoks for about the same price as Hot Cors. Didn't work out then either.

Shot several animals with Deep Shoks when they appeared, and they worked great, both up close and what was considered long range in those days. Have an expanded 180 from a .30-06 factory load that I killed a big bull caribou with at over 400 yards. It expanded into what most hunters would consider a perfect mushroom and retained over 92% of its weight. Saw similar performance from other DS's, but they couldn't make 'em at a price most handloaders would pay.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have a stash of 90gr 243 Deep Shocks. Great bullets.

Another example of Speer's excellent engineering, and apparently grossly incompetent marketing and management.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by southtexas

. . .Another example of Speer's excellent engineering, and apparently grossly incompetent marketing and management.

another example of a large majority of american companies,
executives with the diploma on the wall that know little or
nothing of the company they work for. i've seen a bunch of it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Speer also redesigned the Grand Slam, from what I understand effectively making it a Hot Cor with a revised jacket to mechanically lock the core in place. I haven't used any Grand Slams, old or new, so can't comment on whether or not it was a change for the better. Thoughts?

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't think Speer revised the jacket on the new Hot-Cors. Or at least it didn't look like to to me when I sectioned some.

The Grand Slam jackets always had a ring similar to the Hornady Interlock ring around the harder rear core to hold it in place. Instead they just quit using the twin cores, so essentially the present Grand Slams are Interlocks with single-alloy, softer cores.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
, so the present Grand Slams are Interlocks with single-alloy, softer cores.

At twice the price... frown

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well I'm totally disillusioned!!!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I doubt they're going to. Based on what I know the sticking point was price. They'd hoped to be able to sell them at a price level competitive with not only Hot-Cors but Interlocks and Sierra's GameKings and ProHunters. But the eventual real-world retail price was significantly higher, so most hunters bought other brands.

That's odd to me because loaded Fusion ammo is priced very slightly higher than standard cup and core ammo.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's because the bullet is a relatively smaller part of loaded ammo, and producing hundreds of thousands of bullets, in a relatively limited caliber/weight array for common factory ammo, also lowered per-bullet costs.

Also, handloaders shoot a lot more than hunters who buy factory ammo, and most deer-hunting handloaders aren't willing to pay even a few bucks more for 100 bullets when there are cup-and-cores right next to 'em on the shelf that cost less.

It may seem odd to Campfire members, but a lot of handloaders still buy whatever 150-grain spitzer is cheapest. And they kill plenty of deer.

John Steinbeck
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 10 invisible), 1,575 guests, and 822 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.