Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have been archery hunting GMU 63 for over 20 years and from what I have been reading it appears that severe winter kill is again occurring in this area. I hunt off hywy 93, Crystal Creek srea. Anyone have any personal insight? I plan on putting in for Muley tag again this year and should draw with 1 preference point as a non resident. The muley tag is like a bonus tag for me because hunting Elk comes first. Should I wait and save my muley point for another year? Thanks Tom

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomA
I have been archery hunting GMU 63 for over 20 years and from what I have been reading it appears that severe winter kill is again occurring in this area. I hunt off hywy 93, Crystal Creek srea. Anyone have any personal insight? I plan on putting in for Muley tag again this year and should draw with 1 preference point as a non resident. The muley tag is like a bonus tag for me because hunting Elk comes first. Should I wait and save my muley point for another year? Thanks Tom

If you're going to hunt elk there anyway it makes no sense to not apply and get a deer tag if it only takes 1 point. You're still hunting deer every other year and you say elk comes first anyway so you'd be crazy not to have it in your pocket IMO

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is an active thread on the elk hunter's forum with some info on Gunnison basin.

TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, I watched the video taken 3 miles east of Gunnison and that is why I was asking for some more info. That area I believe includes GMU 54 and I hunt some 40-50 miles west near Crawford, CO. I have seen first hand what a die off can do and how it effects hunting. Tom.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TomA
Thanks, I watched the video taken 3 miles east of Gunnison and that is why I was asking for some more info. That area I believe includes GMU 54 and I hunt some 40-50 miles west near Crawford, CO. I have seen first hand what a die off can do and how it effects hunting. Tom.

There is no question it has an impact but if elk is your primary focus and deer is just an opportunity type hunt I think you'd be crazy not to get the tag if it only requires one point.

I haven't talked to anybody in Gunnison in the past few weeks but last I heard we may have dodged a bullet. I heard that the fawns didn't fare too well which, if the case, will have more of an impact in 5-7 years when you're missing an entire age class of deer.

If you don't have any plans to save points for a different deer hunt in the future you gain nothing by waiting a year or two to get the tag that you can draw every other year

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Instead of a deer tag, buy a bear tag in there and get a deer point till you assess what is up with the deer. Shoot your elk and stake out the gut pile for a bruin.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Generally from what I have heard so far there isn't too serious a problem. The next two months will be the deciding factor. Lot of snow so far, but no extremely low temps

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
TomA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have taken a few bears already and have seen as many as 14-15 in some years. Just can't get excited any more about bear hunting. They are fun and challenging to hunt but a pain in the butt to get out of the woods. Not to mention you have to wait around camp for a Warden to inspect and tag.

The mule deer where I hunt are usually lower (below 7500 Ft) than where I hunt Elk but do have them around camp most years. Probably will put in for one since hunting is hunting and you never know when you may have a nice one cross your path. After all it's only another $389 for us non residents. Tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There's no winter at all in the North Fork. It was worse last year. And it's highway 92, not 93. I wouldn't worry about it.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by exbiologist
There's no winter at all in the North Fork. It was worse last year. And it's highway 92, not 93. I wouldn't worry about it.

Exbio, how about just north of Chromo to Pagosa Springs or just east of Dutton and east of the west fork of the Delores river, please?

Thanks, jag

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't really know off the top my head but there's a few websites you can check

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
615 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,130
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.