Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ringman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm so egotistical I want more exposure to my fun experience at Hired Gun's place yesterday. Take a look at the nice detail at the muzzle and the end of the brake.

Today, March 17, 2017, I took my new to me Weatherby Mark V six lug chambered in .270 Winchester to Hired Gun’s shop in North Bend, Oregon. It came from one of our .com friends here. A few days ago I made an appointment for a one day stop to install a brake (I’m a sissy boy when it comes to recoil), correct the magazine so it would feed, and do a trigger job.

When I was ready to leave I threw the rifle up to my shoulder and started to work the bolt. I no longer take the rifle down to work it. The bolt lift was so stiff I lifted the back of the rifle right off my shoulder. Shawn told me, “Wait a minute. Let me check that. I can’t let you leave with a rifle like that.” What’s interesting is he didn’t do anything that would cause it to bind.

He got to checking it over and discovered the cocking cam was galled and the thing that sticks out the back of the bolt was galling the raceway in the action. He polished all rubbing surfaces to chrome like finish, lubed whatever gunsmiths lube and asked me to try it. What a dream!

Recently I have been having terrible luck with ‘smiths. In fact I would recommend against everyone in Grants Pass, Oregon and surrounding area I have worked with lately. It was worth the five hour trip to Shawn’s shop. His adult son installed the brake. When he finished he took it off and then screwed it back on maybe one thread and asked me to check the play. There was almost no discernible play. And yet it screwed all the way on with ease. I said, “Boy, your daddy would be proud o’ you!” Of course his dad, being right there, heard me say it. The threads are so smooth wiping them with a tissue doesn’t leave fibers behind.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is Mark Skaggs still around ?

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes Craig, he's putting a Mauser together for me this week. powdr

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Grants Pass gunsmiths? BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sure I'd have a very successful shop and generate tons of work around here, but I find it near impossible to say, "good enough ".....around here that phrase seems to be thrown around like a cheap frizbee.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 14 invisible), 1,150 guests, and 781 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.