Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Farming
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
If coyotes were nearly as stupid as cats there wouldn't be nearly as many of them out there on the loose.

Very true when it comes to trapping but quite the opposite when it comes to calling IME.

Originally Posted by Farming
The one thing a cat has going for it is patience. If there was a cat in the area I was hunting I'd probably leave before 99% of them would ever show up.

Agree....Also worth noting is their stealth...some of the Cats I've called were setting there staring at me when I finally discovered their presence.
Lord knows how long they'd been there.

When calling cats scent/wind doesn't seem to be as big a deal as with coyotes in my experience. Been busted by coyotes many times when they circle downwind, don't think I've ever been busted by a cat because of scent when calling....or maybe I have and just never saw the cat.
On this stand the cat came in from down wind. As we walked back to the rig we cut fresh coyote tracks that weren't there when we walked in " down wind in the timber" damn coyote was coming but didn't show cuz he winded us.

I've had the same thing happen at my trap sites. Seen Coyote trax headed down the trail that turned off when they winded my lure then do an about face about ten feet from my set.
Guys that target Coyotes have a chore on their hands keeping their sets scent free.

I still catch one once in a while but it sure ain't because I was trying to.

[Linked Image]

Some of em are almost as dumb as a Cat.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by FieldGrade; 02/03/17.
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by 30338
People are pretty quick to call someone they don't know a liar. Nice shooting Leonten. Glad some of them are getting mounted, couple had great spots.

For a moment I thought I was on some kind of anti hunting site. Talk about some pussies.

^^^This^^^

I added to my ignore list from this thread! To the OP good shooting!

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image][/URL]u

If you reload, there's no such thing as an obsolete cartridge.

Once you render an opinion, you open yourself up to criticism.
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
[Linked Image][/URL]u

Here he sitting next to my house near my neighbors fence.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
An update;

I was talking to the neighbor today and he mentioned that he used to raise chickens. But something got inside his fence and kill them all. His daughter liked the chickens so he got some more. They all got killed too.

As I was leaving he thanked me for taking out the bobcats, he still has two sheep.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Chute'em -- don't ever go anywhere without a rifle -especially the backyard .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I just heard two, maybe three, coyotes yodeling on the hillside behind my house. They were actually below my neighbors house. So I'm getting ready to take them out, during the daytime that is.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Whatcha shootin leonten?

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
How big do bobcats get? I killed one in Coleman county that weighed 40 pounds. He was big. Missed one a few years ago that looked bigger than that.

I googled that. It said 48 lbs in 1984.

Last edited by hanco; 02/20/17.
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm shooting a 257 Roberts Ackley improved. Ruger M77 RL ultralight.

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by rost495
100 pound calves ain't common, but we don't have cats big enough down here, to tackle any calf basically.

YMMV depends on where you are at and relative size of things I guess.

Coyotes around here are only about 30 pounds. Females 20ish range. Biggest male I've ever seen AND shot was 51 pounds. That one was HUGE. Still not big enough to damage stuff. Wild dogs are MUCH worse on animals. MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

As far as size mattering - it's not uncommon for folks around here to lose a horse to a mountain lion. Bobcats will take deer - especially fawns, and I'm sure they account for a few antelope fawns (those that the coyotes don't get).
While I don't know of ever losing a calf to a bobcat, we seem to lose at least one a year that we can't account for due to rough country - some years more. While some loss is due to sickness, I'd bet some is due to predation. I've seen bobcats on deer kills - some fair sized deer.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
At 9am this morning a coyote was walking across my back yard lawn. My gun is ready. However, he was heading in a direction that is unsafe to shoot. So I'm just waiting for him to come back.

Leonten Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
In my living room corner.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very few taxidermists can do a good Bobcat mount.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Leonten - Your guy did a great job. Many can't get the eyes to look right.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
kill em all.....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
nice looking cat!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've got no problem with shooting bobcats, I shot many back in the day, and several since. The last one a couple of years ago. In the mid 80s and before, when coyotes were $80-$100, coons were $40 - $50, and Bobcats were $350 - $400. In Wyoming you could hunt these critters all year, but we didn't. In order to get the kind of prices above pelts needed to be "prime" winter coats. We would start shooting a few samples around Thanksgiving just to get a better look at the fur. Usually, it was closer to Christmas before things started to bring top dollar. Around March the fur starts "pulling" (shedding has begun) and once this happens fur bearers were nearly worthless. Northern Rocky Mountain fur (WY, MT, ID, and Canada) was the best of the best fur, followed by Alaska then Great Lakes. Even with coons being the lowest of the prices that I listed, that is where we made most of our money. It wasn't that tuff to get a lot of them. I shot 14 $45 coons out of one tree in about 5 mins once. Coyotes were next for payoffs. Bobkitties that got in our traps or sights were sweet, a very welcome bonus, but they are harder to hunt and trap. I think on our best years we only got 5 or 6 in prime season. The OP getting 5 in a week would of been quite a prize in a different time and place!

As far as predators killing game, especially birds, goes, I don't really mind if the bobcats get a few, at least they are supposed to be here. I would be many times more concerned with what the feral cats are doing -- there are billions of those SOBs and I shoot every one I can any day of the year.

See no kitties here . . .
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leonten,

I like how the mount came out. And I think you did a good thing as far as helping rid your neighborhood of excessive predators that had lost their fear of humans.

One of the additional videos linked to one of the videos earlier in this thread showed security footage of a bobcat attacking a Yorky terrier in a homeowners backyard.
It reminded me of how heartbroken some friends of ours were when they let their Yorky out at their weekend cabin and an eagle swooped down and took it. Many people don't realize that 100 years ago eagles were considered unwanted predators and were shot as quickly as a coyote would be. Now eagles are honored and protected, but they are still powerful predators.

When predators of any kind, including feral cats, start brazenly cruising people's backyards, they need to be eliminated by one means or another. A small-farm neighbor calls me for help when coyotes start getting his chickens during the daytime. The chickens are cooped up at night. He tried having four ducks, but based on tracks, a bobcat got them at night.

Thanks for sharing your experience with these bobcats.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

319 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,225
Posts18,447,626
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.