Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Anybody know what the max overall length is for PT&G's
drop in 700 short action bottom metal for 204/223's?

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If this is the one you mean I have one and the ATI .223 magazine has an opening of 2.340" by my calipers. I haven't personally tried a round at that length through it, but it looks like it would handle that.

http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/remi...zine-ati_223_rem_204_ruger_magazine_10rd

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by aalf

Anybody know what the max overall length is for PT&G's
drop in 700 short action bottom metal for 204/223's?

Stay wellllllllllll away from the proprietary mag attempts. If it isn't an AICS footprint magwell...Run Forrest....Runnnnnnnnnnn.

Avoid AICS poly 223 mags,bask in the MDT version of same and the AccurateMag steel 5rd 223 mags are simply fhuqking sensational. No thang to get past 2.500" COAL there,across the board.

[Linked Image]

Rather than fhuqk around with proprietary bullschit and if twist/throat/projectile selection were in sync,I'd go a 700 DBM for AR mags. ASC's are very roomy,compared to most and will happily digest COAL's over .300".

6BR with a 105 Smooch from my most recent throat,nestled in a SC Grendel '15 mag. Steel 5rd AICS 308 bindered mag below it,wearing Primal 6BR guts and a few flavors of BC(105 Hornie HPBT,105 RDF,108ELD,etc.) for feed/function warm fuzzies. Of course there were no issues.

[Linked Image]

Coupla 1000 more words,in regards to same.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

A handy/dandy 20" or so boltgun fed same mag system in 1-8" 22 Grendel,would not suck. Nor would a 243 LBC.

Fhuqk that ATI JipJap schit.

Hint.

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
If this is the one you mean I have one and the ATI .223 magazine has an opening of 2.340" by my calipers

Thanks, that is the one. I sent them an email last week w/o an answer, so I called yesterday. Gal grabbed some calipers & came up w/ roughly the same measurement. Then Kiff answered my email this AM with a 2 1/4" OAL. Ha ha, is he a machinist or a carpenter?

Originally Posted by Boxer
[/quote]Stay wellllllllllll away from the proprietary mag attempts. If it isn't an AICS footprint magwell...Run Forrest....Runnnnnnnnnnn.

Avoid AICS poly 223 mags,bask in the MDT version of same and the AccurateMag steel 5rd 223 mags are simply fhuqking sensational. No thang to get past 2.500" COAL there,across the board.

Rather than fhuqk around with proprietary bullschit and if twist/throat/projectile selection were in sync,I'd go a 700 DBM for AR mags. ASC's are very roomy,compared to most and will happily digest COAL's over .300".

Fhuqk that ATI JipJap schit.

Hint.

Comin' through loud and clear, but.....

This for one of my 22-204's loaded to 2.580", which narrows the field somewhat.

I've done several that all feed like schitt through a goose. This prick, I even resorted to pulling the guts out of two of them to try in this gun to no avail. I was likin' the drop-in price tag for the PT&G.

AccurateMag looks like the place to be.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by aalf

AccurateMag looks like the place to be.....

+++ on the accuratemag. About 30 seconds with a dremil tool & it's right where you want it. I have a MDT that binds like chit, I wouldn't touch another with a 10' pole...

I can get a pic (of top) & a OAL of the accuratemag if needed.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What do you mean by the MDT binding?

Brett
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Brett_Mc
What do you mean by the MDT binding?

The follower tilts and locks up (vises itself between the mag walls, front/back). When this happens there is no upward spring on the rounds & it's like having loose rounds in a cardboard box... Doesn't do it all the time & usually near the end of capacity (3-5 left) but happens enough to make it unusable for my purposes. The accuratemag has been 100%.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My MDT was binding the rounds in a nose down orientation, 30 seconds with a dremel fixed it. If you're having the same problem dremel a little bit of the first "rib".

It sounds like a different issue than what I was having.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Brett_Mc; 03/23/17.

Brett
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by coleridge
+++ on the accuratemag. About 30 seconds with a dremil tool & it's right where you want it.

30 seconds tweaking a BDL inlet?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I believe he's referring to dremeling the mag insert to increase the COAL it'll take Al.

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks Carl, that was 1st thought, hoping for the 2nd, as I thought they were a M5 inlet, correct?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
All the mags I saw discussed above (aside from the AR stuff) are of an AICS pattern, and the DBM's for those are most commonly though not always of an M5 footprint.

I run the M5-SA-Stealth in this link for everything:

https://www.stockysstocks.com/acces...-mil-spec-platform-h-p-white-tested.html

It'd require inletting, but wouldn't be too bad as the included pillars will set the Z-axis for you.

PT&G was making a DBM that was a drop in for BDL stocks, but it doesn't take AICS pattern mags due to lack of space.

Empirical results rule!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Also, for conversation, my 6 Dasher rounds are feeding pretty much perfect out of unmolested AICS mags, and 6BR form loads are likewise from Magpul AICS style Pmags.

Empirical results rule!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
aalf,

AM's are a nice default,but the MDT Herd Clips are handy fhuqking fhuqkers.(grin)

Have never seen or heard of an issue and we all gun 'em. I shoot them myself,in a Goodly Herd and both in outright DBM bottom metal and integral Chassis,less issue(s). I LOVE them. 223,223AI and 270 all,with nothing shorter than 75 A-Max or longer than Burger 105 High Birds.

Smattering here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Once set up,everyone shifts gears to drive an MDT poly 10-rounder home,to start things off.(grin)

To add COAL,I tend to depress followers with empty cases and simply whittle what I need,with all staring me in the face. Takes only seconds.

[Linked Image]

I've never had to touch an MDT or AM interior,to regulate feed/function,other than increase OEM COAL. On my XHCG Chassis 223AI,I did need to whittle the back of MDT mag ribs,in order for them to go into battery and allow ease of the mag latch. A portion of that,is likely due to my penchant to add MUCH spring retention to latches,to preclude dropping a mag on a Cast & Blast.

I doubled up on springs,in the XHCG Chassis,as per it's latch. Also shortened the latch,to reduce leverage,for like reason(s).

[Linked Image]

KILLER fhuqking set up.

Now as AICS magwell flavored DBM's go,their footprints are all over the map in relative sizing. NONE are lesser than an OEM BDL,due the girth associated with said mags,but some are more svelte than others.

For them on the fly,CDI will inlet your stock for their AICS DBM upon purchase,free of charge. They are fast,friendly and do nice work. Might could well be an option for some.

[Linked Image]

MDT's are VERY nice to brass.

Hint.(grin)

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
Also, for conversation, my 6 Dasher rounds are feeding pretty much perfect out of unmolested AICS mags, and 6BR form loads are likewise from Magpul AICS style Pmags.

Settled on a load yet?

aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
aalf,

AM's are a nice default,but the MDT Herd Clips are handy fhuqking fhuqkers.(grin)

Have never seen or heard of an issue and we all gun 'em. I shoot them myself,in a Goodly Herd and both in outright DBM bottom metal and integral Chassis,less issue(s). I LOVE them. 223,223AI and 270 all,with nothing shorter than 75 A-Max or longer than Burger 105 High Birds.

Once set up,everyone shifts gears to drive an MDT poly 10-rounder home,to start things off.(grin)

To add COAL,I tend to depress followers with empty cases and simply whittle what I need,with all staring me in the face. Takes only seconds.

I've never had to touch an MDT or AM interior,to regulate feed/function,other than increase OEM COAL. On my XHCG Chassis 223AI,I did need to whittle the back of MDT mag ribs,in order for them to go into battery and allow ease of the mag latch. A portion of that,is likely due to my penchant to add MUCH spring retention to latches,to preclude dropping a mag on a Cast & Blast.

I doubled up on springs,in the XHCG Chassis,as per it's latch. Also shortened the latch,to reduce leverage,for like reason(s).

Now as AICS magwell flavored DBM's go,their footprints are all over the map in relative sizing. NONE are lesser than an OEM BDL,due the girth associated with said mags,but some are more svelte than others.

For them on the fly,CDI will inlet your stock for their AICS DBM upon purchase,free of charge. They are fast,friendly and do nice work. Might could well be an option for some.

MDT's are VERY nice to brass.

Hint.(grin)

Thanks for all the intel....time to digest.....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm still fireforming, but I'm 90% complete. If I can make it out to develop a load this week I'll run it in competition next weekend.

I was testing feeding with dummy rounds (formed). Did a lot of fireforming yesterday and was surprised to have BR form loads feed 100% out of my regular AICS mags. They didn't do that in my 700 based 6BR, perhaps the Bighorn is more forgiving...

Empirical results rule!
aalf Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm still fireforming, but I'm 90% complete. If I can make it out to develop a load this week I'll run it in competition next weekend.

While I do load work on FF'd brass, I don't trust the best accuracy till they've been shot a 2nd time.

I was testing feeding with dummy rounds (formed). Did a lot of fireforming yesterday and was surprised to have BR form loads feed 100% out of my regular AICS mags. They didn't do that in my 700 based 6BR, perhaps the Bighorn is more forgiving...

Odd, you'd think it be the other way around on the brass feeding.

Shows ya just never know....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I ran the stealth / mdt in a lvsf stock. The only thing I didn't like was the shelf milled around the metal looks tacky when it doesn't sit flush, but to sit flush the screws would sit well shy of the stock surface.

I just buzzed the rib off the back of the mag and plowed a new lever catch to make it ride high and tight.

That 10 minutes in the mill solved it all.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 57 invisible), 2,273 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,645
Posts18,455,396
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.