Print Thread
Hop To
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
I was doing a little snooping on the Winchester factory website and noticed NO left hand guns. What?? Pretty dismal. They are my favorite. Well, I got my fathers Winchester M70 lefty Safari Express in 375H&H. Ever so lightly used. It' like nib basically. He used it in Tanzania for 2 Cape buff and that was it. I was wondering, since its a left hand, how rare are they? Did Winchester crank out a bazillion of them or just a few thousand? Is there a market for them? What approximately is it worth? Not really thinking of selling it, maybe just stuff it in the back of the safe for a rainy day as I have my own Win M70 in left 375H&H. But mine is the Super Express rather than the Safari Express. Will post this on the Winchester forum.
Thanks DaveO.

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Super Express has the red pad and monte carlo comb IIRC, the Safari Express had a classic stock with no monte carlo.

But whether a Super Express or Safari Express you have one of the more sought after Winchesters, a left hand .375 H&H. The market for LH Winchesters seems to have dropped a bit recently but I would make a guess that yours is still worth well north of $1000 and in like new condition might bring up to or over $2000 through an on-line auction site like Gunbroker. Don't quote me on that since prices seem to swing a lot depending on demand, but whatever the price it's still a very valuable rifle.

And yes, Winchester quit making LH Model 70's when US Repeating Arms Company went under around 2008 or 2009 and the current owner of the Winchester name doesn't seem interested in making any more.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jim pretty much nailed it. Depending on condition, and the market that day, somewhere between $1-2000. IIRC a bidding war broke out on a LNIB Safari Express last year and it went for over $3K! A couple years ago I sold a LH Super Express on Gunbroker and got $1800 for it. You just never know with auctions.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
IF you go to Gun Broker Advanced Search and look at the "Completed" auctions and sort for auctions that had bids, you can get a good idea of the price that rifles are actually selling for, as well as what buyers have been willing to bid, over the past couple months. There is a LH .375 Safari Express on GB that has cycling around for several months at $2800 without any takers.

Good luck with your sale if you choose to sell...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not to be the turd in the punch bowl but there has been a 375 H&H on Gunbroker for I think over a year. Now priced at $2800. I recently bid on a 30-06 to $1500 and the price went by me pretty quick.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, $2000 seems to be a general ceiling for any of the more sought after blued guns with stainless sometimes topping out a tad more, and even those prices are high with the market going soft these days. That guy at $2800 is willing to wait for just the right buyer or for inflation to catch up to his price. There is a stainless .300 WM starting at $2000 that will probably sit at that price a while. That's offered by Larry's in Nampa, ID, which is a nice enough store but you're not going to find any great deals there.

Funny how the market is, .270, .30-06 and .375 H&H bring the top dollars while the 7mm RM, .300 WM and the WSM calibers don't generally fetch near as much. That said there is a LH .270 Sporter model - those are from the original left hand run Winchester made in the late 90's - that is getting no love at a $1650 starting bid. I'm wondering if MRC has bitten into the Model 70 LH market at all? Two years ago any LH .30-06 in decent shape would start a bidding war, maybe now folks are sitting back and thinking, hmmm, a used Winchester at 15 or 18 bills versus a NIB Montana 1999 clone for $1000 or $1100 thereabouts?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
... I'm wondering if MRC has bitten into the Model 70 LH market at all? Two years ago any LH .30-06 in decent shape would start a bidding war, maybe now folks are sitting back and thinking, hmmm, a used Winchester at 15 or 18 bills versus a NIB Montana 1999 clone for $1000 or $1100 thereabouts?

This is where I am, at the moment. I have not purchased a LH Win M70 since I picked up my two LH MRC rifles. Not to say that I will never buy another Win M70. However, it will have to be inexpensive, or, have some unique feature or provenance that MRC could not easily replicate.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jim that is my feeling. I only want the gun for a project and it doesn't make sense past $1500 for me to pay for the Winchester name. I haven't heard many complaints against the Montana Rifle Co, and they make it in the caliber I want.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Now... If we can just convince someone to start making Left Hand Kimber knock offs...

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
That said there is a LH .270 Sporter model - those are from the original left hand run Winchester made in the late 90's - that is getting no love at a $1650 starting bid.

The barrel on that 270 seems to have some pretty big dings in it. Add to that that the description states that the original stock was cracked during a hunt and it is probably keeping folks from bidding. They generally go fast for about that price.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The last run of left handed Classic Safari Express M70s in 375 H&H were made in 2004 in New Haven, CT. Winchester only made the left handed Safari Classic Express during their run of left handed actions that were made at the end of the year when they changed the machinery over before their annual maintenance shutdowns.

The last run of Classic Safari Express lefties before 2004 were made in 2000. I can't find the history of LH Classic Safari Express before 2000 but since Winchester only made the Classic action in New Haven from 1997 until 2006, there were probably only two or three production runs made of the LH Classic Safari Express rifles (outside of the Custom Shop rifles). Total number are probably in the very few thousands.

Winchester has not made any more LH Classic Safari Express since they moved the production to South Carolina and overseas. USRAC (Winchester) has made left handed M70s in the new locations just not the LH Safari Express models. Browning Arms in Utah retains the rights to make the New Haven style Classic M70s, there were a few made there also.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by Fjold
The last run of left handed Classic Safari Express M70s in 375 H&H were made in 2004 in New Haven, CT. Winchester only made the left handed Safari Classic Express during their run of left handed actions that were made at the end of the year when they changed the machinery over before their annual maintenance shutdowns.

The last run of Classic Safari Express lefties before 2004 were made in 2000. I can't find the history of LH Classic Safari Express before 2000 but since Winchester only made the Classic action in New Haven from 1997 until 2006, there were probably only two or three production runs made of the LH Classic Safari Express rifles (outside of the Custom Shop rifles). Total number are probably in the very few thousands.

Winchester has not made any more LH Classic Safari Express since they moved the production to South Carolina and overseas. USRAC (Winchester) has made left handed M70s in the new locations just not the LH Safari Express models. Browning Arms in Utah retains the rights to make the New Haven style Classic M70s, there were a few made there also.

I would imagine this would apply to my LH Super Express 375H&H that I bought in 97-98? I believe they shortly after changed over to the Safari Express.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Fjold

Didn't know that, I thought all left hand models came from the New Haven plant. There are lefty FN and BACO M70s?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
322 members (10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 44 invisible), 2,200 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.