Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at adding a smaller frame 9mm for CCW, and a single stack is my main focus. Having ambidextrous features is obviously a no-brainer, any thoughts ?

I've never had a "striker" style, can anyone explain the difference ?

I'd like something in the compact range size, any suggestions ?

Budget isn't an issue, but $600 or less for conversation sake.

BP-B2

Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
60 "lookers & tire kickers" and no advice ? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a lefty I find it easier to purchase pistols over rifles,

A G43 fits your description perfectly at 600ish, single stack 9, proven track record for CCW.

Not a true lefty only if you wish to release the mag with the left thumb, use your left index finger and things are golden. I've been told G43 safety's can be flipped, If I'm wrong someone correct me please.

A true lefty could be an 1911 style with ambi safety, and I love my 1911 style pistols, you will likely still have to use the left index finger for the mag release.

Since most guns will have mag release on the left side, I prefer to have all my pistols that way, Kiss theory.

There are all true lefty pistols available, but as time goes on, if you don't remain 100% loyal to those ergos and standards, you'll find yourself with a blend of pistols and functions.

Likely not the best scenario with handguns.

Get yourself to a quality gunstore and start looking.

I'll let others explain the striker fired mechanics.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
HKP7

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Left eye dominant here; unlike rifles, don't shoot pistols southpaw...probably a few others here like that too.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ruger LC9s.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by broomd
Left eye dominant here; unlike rifles, don't shoot pistols southpaw...probably a few others here like that too.

Left handed, but right eye dominant. For whatever reason, shoot hand guns with right hand. And can shoot them passably well. The one shooting discipline where I am not handicapped by being cross dominant. Shotguns OTOH... fuggeddaboutit...

Back to the OP's original question, I have a Glock 42 in .380 that feels just as good in my left hand as my right. Would have no reservations with going to a G43 in 9mm if the opportunity presented itself. If you like 1911 style pistols, the Kimber Ultra CDP's and Micro CDP's both appear to come from the factory with ambi safeties.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
S&W shield 9mm. Slide release is not ambidextrous, but doesn't need tp be. Mag release can be operated with the left index finger. Go to a range that rents pistols and try a few.

Lefty C

Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Appreciate the replies from all,
I have a SIG P239 40S&W Black Nitro, but it's just too thick for reasonable carry in warm weather. I had a Kimber on order for a year, and it never did show up...along with the feed issues reported, I don't feel disappointed it never showed.

I left eye dominant and shoot all weopons lefty, including bows..as most have been forced to shoot RH pistols/shotguns lefty, but I'm concerned about the mag release.

Hoping to hit a large gun shop this week, and look at a number of possible contenders..including G42, H&K, Walther, M&P.

Anyone care to comment on the trigger pull of a striker ?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
My Shield is excellent. Crisp.

Lefty

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

but I'm concerned about the mag release.

Anyone care to comment on the trigger pull of a striker ?

The mag release is a non-issue.

trigger pull of a striker, It's relative to what you want the gun to do, Target pistol the strikers suck in my view, But your looking for a ccw pistol, point blank or very short range type stuff, Strikers are fine.

If you start handling 1911 types, you may feel different about trigger pulls, I had every intention to get to town and grab that 43, last two pistols that came home were 1911's, still dont have the 43.

At the range or fun day, Springfield TRP all day long. Wouldn't consider the TRP a carry piece though.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Have you priced one lately?

Last edited by Borchardt; 03/20/17.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Kenneth, everything I hear is Glock's need a trigger job right out of the box. I'm hoping to get some range time with the new gun other than point blank smile

A decent trigger is important to me.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bwana,

Left-handed and left-eyed here.

Righty mag and slide releases aren't a problem, use the left trigger finger. Also some mag releases can be switched to the other side. Safeties are the one thing I have to be able to work with my left hand, but the best CC guns don't have them so no problem.

Kahr, S&W Shield, G43 and LC9s are probably the best choices without mortgaging the farm, you should check them all out to see what works for you. Personally I prefer Kahrs with their long smooth trigger, but I'm very comfortable with DA revolvers. YMMV.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Bwana_1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard a lot of good things on Kahr, so no H&K or Walther fans ?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Had an H&K USP and liked it but it's too heavy to carry.

Just bought a G43. Will do the 2 shot extensions on the mag which should help my hand feel better about the small grip.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
...Just bought a G43. Will do the 2 shot extensions on the mag which should help my hand feel better about the small grip.

Agree. I did the one shot, finger grip, extension on my G42 magazines. Mo betta...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
A friend has a Walther PPS which I could learn to like (as I could a Shield), BUT his is the original model with Euro mag release. M2 would be better IMHO.

Also, another friend has a CZ Rami which he really likes, I haven't tried it as yet though.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I bought a pair of LC9's about 4 years ago. Neither of them has ever jammed or FTF. Last year I gave one to my son because I bought a LC9 pro. The pro has never jammed either. They are accurate, reliable, and inexpensive and a single stack and with a built in safety on the trigger.

Does this .405 Winchester make my butt look big?
M
MLF Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Very few semi autos were ever made in full left hand and usually were the size of a 1911, not conducive to ccw carry.

For a ccw, all current semi auto pistols eject on the right side, but some have full ambidextrous controls. I favor Walther hands down. They have ambidextrous slide release, mag release with no hinderance. Excellent trigger, fit and finish. dependable with first class ergonomics. Priced in your range.
Try Walther PPS German engineering at it's finest.
If you don't mind a larger pistol the PPQ is excellent. I prefer the M1 version for ccw work due to type of carry. In deep concealment appendix or side tight fitting holster, the last thing you want is the magazine release button to be inadvertandly bumped turning your side arm into a single shot. That's why I prefer the European paddle release. If it was outside the pants for duty or recreational carry, then I would opt for the button release.

Go to a pistol range with lots of 9mm ammo and rent different pistols for trial. If you have friends with certain types, invite them along and shoot theirs.

With pistols for ccw, it will be more like point and shoot at ultra speed. It is important to find a pistol that fits you. Each manufacturer produces a different angled grip in relation to the bore. Grab a pistol, pick a target, close your eyes and point fast at it, then open your eyes and see if the sights are pointed straight on or otherwise. Pick the pistol that aims true to YOU.

Spend a few bucks on XS 24/7 big dot sights out of TX. and a quality holster from companies like Stealth gear out of Ut.

Practice till the cows come home with quality instruction. Use good ammo and pray you never have to use it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
294 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 28 invisible), 2,007 guests, and 936 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.