Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I've decided to play with some loads to improve my long range shooting, 600 yds +, in two of my current hunting rifles. I chose them because they are the most accurate I have out to my normal hunting distances.(-1MOA) I have reloaded for about 40 years and played with a wild cat or two. I have never seriously shot beyond 500 yds. I may never shoot at anything but rocks and other inanimate targets beyond that range but want to see how well I can do. So getting to my question, would you start with seating depth adjustment and then powder charge or vice versa? I have a comparator and am very familiar with Case to Ogive OAL. I realize that accuracy will be a process of adjusting both, one at a time but I am curious where you would start. Both of the guns are SAAMI spec chambers and mags.

HR IC

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Powder charge, and then seating depth

I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
That is what I was thinking but then I was reading info on Berger's site and they talk about starting out close to the lands. I have always thought the shorter the jump the bigger the pressure spike, to a point. So this little bit of info may be causing me to over think this. Hence, my asking what some might think a simple question. Thanks for the reply.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In my opinion, there's no wrong place to start with seating depth as long as its effect on pressure is taken into consideration for safety's sake. That being said, you have to be willing to play with it some. I'd recommend increments of about 0.020" to a depth of up to about 0.150" off the lands or more to start, then fine tune based on what you see. I used to be very stubborn about finding seating depths in the 0.015" to 0.035" range, and I wasted a lot of components as a result.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Start at the lands (or at max magazine length) to find your optimum powder charge, then work back to find your best seating depth.

That way you won't be increasing pressure by seating longer looking for best seating depth.

Last edited by NVhntr; 02/24/17.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Thanks. All good stuff

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Start at the lands (or at max magazine length) to find your optimum powder charge, then work back to find your best seating depth.

That way you won't be increasing pressure by seating longer looking for correct seating depth.

This.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep.

The only, relatively minor, warning is that when rifle bullets are seated VERY deeply, at some point pressures start increasing again. But that's generally around 1/2" from the lands, though it can start at around 1/4" with some cartridges, bullets and powder. But if you seat them deeper gradually, as when adding powder, you'll notice the velocity starting to rise.

On the other hand, most rifle/load combos will improve in accuracy long before bullets are seated even 1/4" from the lands, much less 1/2".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't seen even factory loads at 1/2 inch from lands. Only ones I noted are Weatherbys that far from lands.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by NVhntr

That way you won't be increasing pressure by seating longer looking for best seating depth.
+1

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I use to stress and pull my hair out working with seating depth. Now a days i always start at 0.010 off the lands and i've found that i can usually find a very accurate load by juggling powder and components and just leaving the seating depth at 0.010. The only exception I've had was working with Barnes bullets which were seated 0.050 off the lands and wouldn't shoot worth a darn any closer. Works for me.

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Guybo54
I use to stress and pull my hair out working with seating depth. Now a days i always start at 0.010 off the lands and i've found that i can usually find a very accurate load by juggling powder and components and just leaving the seating depth at 0.010. The only exception I've had was working with Barnes bullets which were seated 0.050 off the lands and wouldn't shoot worth a darn any closer. Works for me.

This is what I do. Usually, once the seating depth is settled , finding an accurate load is much faster.

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sheister
Originally Posted by Guybo54

This is what I do. Usually, once the seating depth is settled , finding an accurate load is much faster.

Bob

If you are looking for the best accuracy, I don't see how settling on an arbitrary seating depth would be easier.
"Juggling powder and components" will cost more, in both dollars and time, than picking a known good powder and a common primer for the caliber being loaded and adjusting seating depth as required.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What is that magic formula? Kiss, find pressure, rock on?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If your hunting rifles are shooting -MOA, why are you playing with them? They seem to be shooting fine. The change from 500 to 600 is 2 MOA. Run your sight up and shoot...save a lot of BS.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
What is that magic formula? Kiss, find pressure, rock on?

Easy said but lots of rifles on the market, you will find that the round will not fit in the clip if you seat that close to the lands. For ex my TRG in 338 Lapua, and my 300 WSM Benelli R1. Many more out there I'm sure.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Quoting an esteemed member's advice.

I had that issue on a big scale with a Win. M70 in 300 WinMag, and two of my .308s suffer that to a small degree when using some of the slicker bullets.

It's a matter of starting out at magbox confine and going from there. I've been lucky so far in that I've never had a problem putting an accurate load together, even if the jump is more than I really like, as was the case with the .300 WinMag.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I like to start at .010" off the lands and do a ladder test to try and find the nodes. I'll then pick a charge weight in the middle of the faster node, assuming I didn't get any pressure signs, and vary the seating depth to find the best accuracy. Generally it works with a rifle that wants to shoot.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep.

But if you seat them deeper gradually, as when adding powder, you'll notice the velocity starting to rise.

On the other hand, most rifle/load combos will improve in accuracy long before bullets are seated even 1/4" from the lands, much less 1/2".

Mule Deer, is this true only after you have seated way deeper past the point where pressure starts going back up

or is the opposite true when seating at normal seating depths, like from just off the lands to .250" or so?

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
I
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Just got back to shooting after back surgery. I loaded several test loads starting with the heaviest charge I was willing to make with the longest COL. Turns out that my gun likes the one load that is the closest and the one that was the furthest away. Hated everything in the middle. Feel like I now have a solid starting point to fine tune the loads now. Thanks for all the advice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
323 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 308Palma, 1beaver_shooter, 43 invisible), 2,197 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.