24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just spent a great week a our cabin but it's a cold sink down in the river valley.

Morning temps of -40, -45 and then it warmed up to -38 one morning

Burned some wood we did 70 inside cabin at times, 115 degree temp change just walking thru a door

Good snow load this year, but no base, sugar snow to frozen ground or ice

Got stuck a couple times breaking trail. Did some digging

Country has some creative ways to help you stay warm.

Miss the place already

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
BP-B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
We took a trip to Alpine Creek Lodge during the week, looking for caribou. I don't remember the last time I was this cold. The ride in from Cantwell was particularly miserable, with howling winds. Even when you stopped the sled, you couldn't warm up. The windchill was always present.

My brother and I had animals in the crosshairs on the ride in, but decided to pass them up. We were just too damn cold and didn't want to deal with them.

All grumbling aside, we did manage to bag a caribou on our way out. The sun was shining and the wind had stopped, so the trip out was much better than the ride in.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I really don't want to deal with those -s temps, but I get the whole inside/outside temp thing. House feels colder than heck at 45 when you're used to 70, but 45 feels real good coming in out of temps below zero.

Dan, glad you had some luck on the hunt, at least gutting warms your hands up for a bit.

"The day I went to work everybody showed up to watch Johnny Luster work. Well, they had a wheelbarrow there, and said I was to push that thing around all day. I looked at it, then turned around and headed for the mountians..."
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Guess you didn't have to worry about the meat spoiling.

I'll be some where in Ak this mid sept, 250 miles NW of Fairbanks, hunting moose. Looking fwd to that.

NRA Patron
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Horton lied. It was only -15 this morning when I got up on this beautiful first day of Spring, 30 miles north of the Arctic Circle. smile

Nice pics, Dan. My legs feel better by this weekend, I'll try to score one. Sposed to warm up.

But that mightt mean wind/snow/fog. Who knows?

Had a Noatak kid die about 5 miles out of Kotz, on the Sound, this weekend, in the below zero ice fog/whiteout. That's all I know, right now. But I can guess.

Last edited by las; 03/20/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Congrats Dan. Don't know how you do it with those thumbnail windshields

Brrrr. First thing I did with my ole Summit X was to get a trapper windshield

I like having plastic to hide behind

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man, you guys are a hearty breed! I just don't think I could do that.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My all time favorite song. Johnny Horton is da man.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A bit below normal temps down here the last few weeks, but you guys in the interior are getting hammered.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys have to stop this. Tree huggers can't post that it's warmer in Alaska than in Chicago.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I was in Chicago winter of '76. Record cold that year, -58 iirc and I picked that day to change spark plugs in my 1967 polara 1 hour per plug, pull a plug, go in and warm up and do the next one

Was younger and dumber, car still wouldn't start, so bought a lil BBQ grill, broke the legs off it and built a good charcoal fire, slid it under oil pan and eureka we were up and running again

Outhouse at -40 and colder is just something everyone should experience

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
My all time favorite song. Johnny Horton is da man.

Had a DJ play it for me on the radio as I headed home, North to Alaska from Denver in 1980. smile

And I seem to recall experiencing similar weather in North Central US, growing up, and more recently. I learned that there ain't much game out in the middle of those ND blizzards, even in the river bottoms, so it was a waste of time going hunting.... that lesson has served me well in the Arctic. smile

Last edited by las; 03/22/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sun is at least winning after noon or so its been a cold one for sure ..and lots of snow down my way 4' wall either side of my drive.…had no place left to push if /had a 966 come in and toss it !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many birds migrate to where it's warmer.

Here in Ct it's 46 F now at 5 pm.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't really remember that last time we had a 24 hour period that stayed above 0º. At least it hasn't hit -20º at night for a couple days. smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Chilly spring for sure, most years we spend spring break at the cabin don't recall it being this cool for the last 15 odd years or so

Was gonna go again tonite, but I'm behind on taxes, got corporate taxes done but need to compile personal bs and send it to the accountant

Gonna get hammered by IRS this year 😳

Bright side is with these temps and snow load odds are good we can get to the cabin thru April and perhaps some of May. Normally the dead zone

Why we are so happy leaving our hot water base board, indoor plumbing and electricity is beyond me, but there it is me and momma both love cabin life

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
522 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 51 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,038 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,179
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.