Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 79 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 78 79
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
No one should be doing squats at any age... and it's definitely one of the worst things anyone over 30 can do.

Fake news!

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sometimes I don't do squat. Like right now, just got back from taking the dog on his run. He wore me out so I'm recovering with a beer and some potato chips.

But if you never do squat at any age you're just lazy.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do squats usually a couple of times a week, but no longer use a lot of weight- also do a lot of bodyweight squats; it's an exercise that really has no substitute

6.5 miles, 1000' of gain, snow, ice, slush and mud AND with a 40 lb pack; pretty good workout smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yesterday:

Cardio 50min
3x5: Did I hear Squats? BP, BB rows and Squats. (30 is a distant memory and around then they also used to tell me eggs were bad.)

Today:

Some light machine leg work and cardio:
Treadmill: 30min
Elliptical:25min
Dog hike: 60min

Last edited by battue; 03/04/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dead lifts may be the best weight bearing exercise, but squats are not far behind.

Last edited by battue; 03/04/17.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't think you know squats.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well there is FS, BS, ATGS, PLS and probably some others also. So, admittedly I have much to learn re squat.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Holy smokes. Here's a place to start:

http://startingstrength.com/article/strength-training-for-people-my-age

Lots more discussion to that end on that site. One upshot - frail people wither away, strong ones go like hell and drop dead, and a calculation of area under the time/quality of life curve shows the strong guy winning bigly.

No one should be doing squats at any age... and it's definitely one of the worst things anyone over 30 can do.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have been reading the Purposeful Primitive by Marty Gallagher.

Tonight I didn't have much for time.

Three rotations.

5 Sets X50reps X ballslams X 12.5 lb rubber medicine ball
5 Sets X 10 Reps x 80lb db incline presses with 60 lb dropset X 20 Reps
5 Sets X 20 reps X leg press machine with 6 (45lb plates)

5 Sets of 8 Reps X 6 (45lb plates) X Hammer Strength BP
5 Sets of 20 Reps X tricep pulldowns X 120lbs
5 Sets of 10 Reps X Lat Pull down widegrip X 190lbs

C2 Machine Intervals
sub 2:00m for 500m split then 100 m break then wash and repeat until 5000 m done. This is a mean sucker.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well not everyone is going to agree on the squat that's for sure, and I certainly shouldn't have just thrown that fish on the floor without explaining myself. Was rushing out the door when I opened this thread...

Even with perfect form, high bar squatting without doubt stresses the ankles, knees, hip joint, and spine. There are good alternatives to barbell squats (barbell high across the back) that work the same muscles without the danger of the squat. Right off the top I can think of lunges, stepups, leg press, and even low bar squatting... for me, I just find the risks of high bar squats are too great when the same benefits can be had more safely. But I'm also likely the odd man out as I'm more interested in lean mass/strength. Hike your own hike, but I'd do your spine a favor and stay away from high bar squats.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like Vek said, its all about form and starting low with small increases. I've been following the Starting Strength program for over a year and see improvements. I started low and ensured form before adding weight. Other than knotting up my shoulder last spring because the bar was too low on my back, I've not had any issues. When I changed over to more cardio as the weather broke, I felt stronger and my distances increased better than in past years. I also think the program helped a lot trekking the mountains of MT last fall. Just my experience...

That said, I watched a guy and his girlfriend try to wreck their backs while I was waiting for the squat rack. He did good form squats with warm up but really struggled with higher weights even at 1/2 squat depth. Loose belt, no valsalva, it was bad to watch. They started turning into good mornings quick. Deads were a variation of sumo and squats with a rounded back. Wanted to say something but learned that lesson last year.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well not everyone is going to agree on the squat that's for sure....

The thing about squatting is, there are a lot of different ways to do it, and you don't have to be an Olympic-style lifter to get the benefits. There's no doubt that squatting is good for you. There's published research linking human longevity to the practice of squatting for everyday activities. And one of the first things a good trainer will do with a new subject is a squat assessment.

Like someone already said, squatting uses a lot of muscles at once and you can vary that by technique. And it uses the muscles that are most important to human locomotion, and staying upright as one gets older.

I see the trainers at my gym (who all have at least a BS in kinesiology) working with older people every day, and they all work some type of squat with lighter weights into the routine. Mostly a goblet squat with a light kettle bell.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Scott
Like Vek said, its all about form and starting low with small increases. I've been following the Starting Strength program for over a year and see improvements. I started low and ensured form before adding weight. Other than knotting up my shoulder last spring because the bar was too low on my back, I've not had any issues. When I changed over to more cardio as the weather broke, I felt stronger and my distances increased better than in past years. I also think the program helped a lot trekking the mountains of MT last fall. Just my experience...

That said, I watched a guy and his girlfriend try to wreck their backs while I was waiting for the squat rack. He did good form squats with warm up but really struggled with higher weights even at 1/2 squat depth. Loose belt, no valsalva, it was bad to watch. They started turning into good mornings quick. Deads were a variation of sumo and squats with a rounded back. Wanted to say something but learned that lesson last year.

Yep. Form is critical. Also, proper form isn't the same, or at least, it doesn't necessarily look the same for everyone. Body proportions affect proper form for the individual. Often people try to show someone how to do squats without taking body proportions into account. So they try to emulate the model's good form which works for his body, but impossible for their own, and end up doing them dangerously for themselves. Here's a good source of info on it: How femur length affects squat mechanics.

Couple of good videos in that article posted here for convenience.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
my legs were pretty fatigued by yesterday's push with a 40# pack, but bucked up and got a nice 12 miles in today- felt good once it was all done, less good while doing it smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by smokepole
Well not everyone is going to agree on the squat that's for sure....

The thing about squatting is, there are a lot of different ways to do it, and you don't have to be an Olympic-style lifter to get the benefits. There's no doubt that squatting is good for you. There's published research linking human longevity to the practice of squatting for everyday activities. And one of the first things a good trainer will do with a new subject is a squat assessment.

Like someone already said, squatting uses a lot of muscles at once and you can vary that by technique. And it uses the muscles that are most important to human locomotion, and staying upright as one gets older.

I see the trainers at my gym (who all have at least a BS in kinesiology) working with older people every day, and they all work some type of squat with lighter weights into the routine. Mostly a goblet squat with a light kettle bell.

A squat works the strongest muscles in the body (legs) directly through the weakest/most prone to injury part of the body (the lower back). Obviously, fairly light squats aren't a big deal, but why risk it, especially as you age, when you can work those muscle groups in ways that bypass the lower back, and still do all manner of lower back exercises that are back safe?

My best friend, who is one of the smartest and strongest lifters I know (had a minor in kinesiology, and had a 620lb squat in college), has raised his four boys lifting. The only lift he would NOT let them do is the squat. He thinks it's one of the worst possible things you can do to your body. There are simply much more spine friendly ways to achieve the same results. At least that's the way I see it. Didn't intend to rile you up gentlemen.

Over and out, I gotta go run stairs...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've met a pile of runners with bad knees. Never met anybody before with a trashed back from squatting. Now that I think about it, everybody I know with a bad back who is constantly going in to be "readjusted" has probably never done a weighted squat before.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You're still young grasshopper...

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
48 here.

I should note that I am not trying for heavy weight inside I am lifting to get into shape.

Squats-
2 Sets X 225lbsX 10 Reps
2 Sets X 275lbs X 10 Reps
2 Sets X 315 lbs X 10 Reps
2 Sets X 375lbs X 6 Reps

Kettlebell deadlifts-53lbs
5 Sets of 50 Reps

Preacher Curls
2 Sets of ezcurl bar + 70lbs X 10 Reps
2 Sets of ezcurl bar + 90lbs X 10 Reps
2 Sets of ezcurl bar +120lbs X 10 Reps

3 sets of tricep pull downs 110lbs X 10 reps
3 Sets of lat pulldowns with narrow grips X 180 X 10 Reps

20 Min of bike at 19 Resistance-Hr130
10 min of c2 rower 1400 M

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Friday 45 min trail run.
Saturday 7 mile run with a 25 lb pack into a FS cabin with Onyx then several more miles snowshoeing up the ridge behind the cabin.
Sunday 7 miles back out from the cabin.
Lots of split wood and kindling at the cabin. Thanks Mike!

Ed T

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A squat works the strongest muscles in the body (legs) directly through the weakest/most prone to injury part of the body (the lower back).

Lower back muscles are far from the weakest in the body, and they figure into almost everything a human does, especially backpacking loads. And yes, they are prone to injury but the leading cause of injury is improper lifting. Not lifting with proper form.

My best friend, who is one of the smartest and strongest lifters I know..... He thinks it's one of the worst possible things you can do to your body.

Sorry, but one man's opinion doesn't convince me when there are dozens and dozens who say otherwise.

As far as "why risk it," the answer is two-part. First because squatting is a great exercise as you get older, it helps maintain bone density and muscle mass. And second because if you do it right and don't go for the state record, the risk isn't that great. You just have to know your body and find the right techniques that works for you.

Page 17 of 79 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (Algotguns, 21, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,418 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,675
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.