-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 79 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 78 79
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smoke, I wasn't speaking about the lower back muscles, I was speaking about the lower spine. Perhaps I should have been more clear, I thought I was. THAT IS one of the weakest links on the human body. Hitting the lower legs through that weak link is unnecessarily dangerous. You want to risk it, rock on.

As to one man's opinion (it's FAR from one man's opinion), when you're 59 (yes, I know you personally are older), have made this a life-long study and practice, injury free, can still bench over 400lbs lbs, and have done Yoga for 45 years and are one of the most flexible, strong people you'll ever meet, get back to me. You ever have a 620lb Squat? Not all opinions are created equally.

There are MUCH smarter ways to strengthen the lower back muscles without stressing the weak link, the lower spine.

Gym habits/mythology die hard.

As I said, just trying to introduce a better way to think about this for older guys. If what you're doing is working for you, that's great, after all, you're trying to stay in shape. And it doesn't sound like you're doing "Cross Fit", one of the other worst possible things for an over 30 body!

Couldn't resist that other can of worms... grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Muscles or spine, the most common reason people injure either is improper lifting. And the fact that squats are good for you and almost universally used by professional trainers can hardly be called "gym mythology." At least, not as easily as one man's opinion can be called "gym mythology." And it really doesn't matter what the guy's done, he still can only have one man's opinion.

When you talk to a lot of different professional trainers and physical therapists about training and exercise (I have) you get a broader perspective. For instance, I've had trainers tell me to stay away from bench presses because they are a good way to injure your shoulders. Which are by the way, one of the easiest joints in your body to injure. And there are much safer ways to strengthen your upper body. Yet, your friend doesn't seem to have a problem doing them.

One size (or opinion) does not fit all.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Friday 45 min trail run.
Saturday 7 mile run with a 25 lb pack into a FS cabin with Onyx then several more miles snowshoeing up the ridge behind the cabin.
Sunday 7 miles back out from the cabin.
Lots of split wood and kindling at the cabin. Thanks Mike!

Ed- it's a really fun cabin; makes for a great weekend getaway in the winter! There are a couple of more I'm going to look into: Indian Flats (Big Belts) and Eagle Guard Station (Elkhorns)
Mike

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Good timing on the squats convo. I've been taking out old fence on the property (that I put up, 20+ years ago, [bleep] I'm getting old), and that involves pulling up lots of T-posts, which involves wiggling them loose in our wet clay soil, squatting down, back straight, grabbing hold hard, and pulling the recalcitrant SOB's out with the legs.

My lower back is a bit sore <g>....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbNA17KjBzU

This guy has decent videos on deadlifts, squats, presses etc

Have to do some form of squats when you get older.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Smoke, he doesn't lift like that anymore, just that I've seen him able to lift that kind of weight at his age. He and I are both more HIIT types. Lighter weights, greater intensity.

I quit road running almost 20 years ago in order to preserve my knees, one reason I love stair running so much is it fits in with the High Intensity Interval Training philosophy.

A lot of means to an end for sure. At the end of the day, you've got to MOVE, eh?

And you've got to maintain a clean, low inflammatory, heart healthy diet...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't forget glutes. Very important for the aging male to continue to work hard on (someone else's) glutes. whistle

Keep movin'.... truer words ain't been spoke....

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Mike- Eagle is a nice trip, just make sure you close the door into the sleeping room if it's cold to start with. That stove is a bit more finicky.
Indian Flats looks like it might be a fairly good day to get into in the winter by way of Trout Creek.

Ed T

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
That's female glutes for the rest of you.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
That's female glutes for the rest of you.

Yes.

For instance, these would be a good pair o' glutes to target for some intensive work. Just have to catch her first.

[Linked Image]

This is where those cardio intervals might come in handy.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Mike- Eagle is a nice trip, just make sure you close the door into the sleeping room if it's cold to start with. That stove is a bit more finicky.
Indian Flats looks like it might be a fairly good day to get into in the winter by way of Trout Creek.

Good to know on Eagle-thanks. Depending on how far the road is plowed, possible access via Beaver Ck???

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Brad
Smoke, he doesn't lift like that anymore, just that I've seen him able to lift that kind of weight at his age. He and I are both more HIIT types. Lighter weights, greater intensity.

I don't see how lifting lighter weights means greater intensity. crazy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaboku68

I don't see how lifting lighter weights means greater intensity. crazy

Why does that not surprise me...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Elliptical:20min

4x5: Squats: (end @ 185)
Dead lift: (end @230)
BP: (end @ 175)

4x25 KB 50lb swings
4x6 Chin-up

Elliptical: 25min

Jeff: Those are not glutes. More like a skinny azz at best. wink

Last edited by battue; 03/06/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
SS 5x3 this morning. Still a little sore from Saturday and being off lifting for 2 wks due to the creepin' crud. Dropped everything about 15% and will work back up from there.

Jeff - that's pace booty.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"I've got the stick and she's got the carrot...
Together, we're gonna ride ride ride!"

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad
And you've got to maintain a clean, low inflammatory, heart healthy diet...

Yep, no doubt about that. I stopped taking my low-dose lipitor several months ago, this week I go back in to get blood work done and I'll see if the diet/exercise is working.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I feel like I am watching CNN.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Mike,
Indian Flats Cabin is a ways past the turn to the Hogback lookout on the Trout Creek side of the ridge. It been quite a few years since I've been up Beaver Creek in the winter but seems that in most years you can't get too far past Refrigerator Canyon trailhead. The

Ed T

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Not trying to convince anyone of how to workout, as anything is better than nothing. If you look up Dr. Jonathan Sullivan/Greysteel videos on YouTube, he does an excellent job of explaining why people into their 90's even should do weight training. His book is very good as well and was written with alot of input from Rippetoe.

Page 18 of 79 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 37 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,617
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.