24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd find a used or NOS 3-9x40 Conquest, myself.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
BP-B2

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hell Jeff, people want more for those than when they were new. powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by SamOlson
I just mounted a 2-7x35 FFII on a new .223 truck/side by side gun.

A little touchy eyebox but should work fine for what I want out of it.

I tried one of those Sammo, cause I love their FFII 3x9

You are right about the eye box. Eye relief sucked so bad it came off the gun and went down the road in record time..

But you know it might have been my coke bottle glasses and the need to mount the scope Jeff O style....

so if your eyes are normal..it may pan out well for you.

Otherwise Ive had great luck with the2x7 Redfield Revolution.

Poobs, I'm the opposite. Sometimes scopes have too much eye relief...

One other weird thing about the FFII, rather than a normal power ring selector the entire ocular housing rotates when you adjust magnification.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Poobs, I'm the opposite. Sometimes scopes have too much eye relief...

One other weird thing about the FFII, rather than a normal power ring selector the entire ocular housing rotates when you adjust magnification.

I noticed that too..it can be a PITA

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I just mounted a 2-7x35 FFII on a new .223 truck/side by side gun.

A little touchy eyebox but should work fine for what I want out of it.

I'm a huge fan of the older American made FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle, but couldn't get used to the 2-7x. The eyebox and eye relief was not real forgiving, as compared to the 3-9x40. I ended up sending that scope down the road and continue to use the 3-9x40. I've had nothing but good luck with those.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by powdr
Guys, the reason I'm asking is because I've always bought the best I can but just can't do it anymore. I have a S&B 3-12x42 on my main rifle, a VX3 3.5-10X40, a Conquest 1.8-5.5 and an older Burris Signature Safari 6x40. Just looking for dependable glass on some of my last builds. Just don't have any experience w/second tier scopes. Thanks again Guys, powdr

Don't laugh, but you may want to consider the Zeiss terra 3-9x42 with RZ6 reticle. I've been using those for a while now and they are damn good for the price point. While they are not a Conquest, by any means, they are still a damn good scope.. You may want to add that to your list as well.. Good luck with your search buddy...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a newer brand instead of some of the second tier scopes mentioned. Looking for tough and naturally less money.

I bought a Hawke scope. So far I'm very happy with it. I haven't really put it through the paces yet but the eye box and field of are good and the optics are very nice.

Hawke makes some really tough air gun scopes so I'm hoping that reliability is built into their other scopes as well.

Dan

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I don't know if you have ever considered fixed power scopes but, I recently installed a SWFA SS 10x42 with 30mm tube on my 7mm-08. For the price (under $300), the optics and build quality are impressive. I have several Leupold VX II's (great scopes) along with a Burris FF e1, a Nikon and others. The SWFA compares nicely with these scopes. It is my only fixed power scope and probably won't be the last. Tracking is spot-on and the reticle (MOA Quad) is perfect for hunting or shooting at longer range. These scopes are built like a tank and reviews indicate that they can take some abuse.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
powdr, I have a USA FFII 3-9 plex and I put it on a .223 as eye relief is a bit shorter than the Leupolds that I mostly use.

The biggest bargin in my scopes is likely a $100 out the door 3-9 Redfield Revolution that I bought right after they were introduced, thinking it was an open box demo. Dealer said used, but there was no evidence of mounting. Clear, bright, and has withstood the torture on a Mini-14. Between a trigger job and the scope, I have a plenty accurate truck gun with the 580 series mini.

I have never been opposed to good used stuff.

Best wishes,

Jack

Last edited by jt402; 03/17/17.

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
My last two Scopes have been Burris.
For the money, I am more than happy with both.

A FF II 4.5X14 on my CZ 17 HMR is bright and clear, tracks good and helps me shoot tiny groups and exacute rodents at long distance.
My son got a 10/22 for Christmas, and I said I would scope it for him.
We researched scopes in a price range, went to web sites and watched viedos.
He choose a Burris Droptine 2X7.
The thing is amazingly brite and clear for a $140 scope, it tracks good and was a breeze to site in.
They seem to be well built, have a great warrentie and I think they look good.

MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like the Burris FF scopes, and have found them to work good. I also have a Redfield Revolution, and a Zeiss Terra, both of which are also good scopes. I have a Sightron Big Sky scope that may be the best of the lot. I had a Leupold VX-1 that I sold because I did not like it, when compared to other scopes in that price range. The higher dollar Leupolds are another matter, as they are much better quality.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You know you didn't mention these but there were a couple of the weaver k series listed in the classifieds recently got about $100 +or - . One was a 4x the other 6x . You mentioned variables but if a fixed power is acceptable to you those would be good choices too.

P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks s much guys, I'm a little OCD so I'm still weighing my options. powdr

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by powdr
Hell Jeff, people want more for those than when they were new. powdr

Didn't know that! Hmm. Not surprised; they are amazing.

Your builds sound fun. I like the whole truck gun notion. Call it a truck gun and turn off the OCD stuff where everything has to be just so... I see the merit there for sure!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well, both of them ended up nicer than I originally had planned but there's a fine line w/me as to what is acceptable and what is not. I stuck w/the Buehler safety on both builds cause that's what I grew up with. I could have used a 2 position Win type safety but it would have added another $100 to each build which I didn't have to spend. Used a Shilen barrel on one I found for a little of nothing and a NOS Weatherby for $90 on the other. Bought a Brown Precision that needed some glass work for the first one and a sharp MPI for the 2nd that a man didn't have any use for any longer. Wanted to try and find a Borden Rimrock but my search on ended w/nothing. Had the brass and dies for one and the other I scrounged off the forum. Have a Zeiss 1.8-5.5, my favorite scope by the way, and this post hopefully will end w/a scope for the other. Thanks a million guys for all of the comments because of the 3 I've never owned any of the 3 but the FFII and sold it before ever range testing it. powdr

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had one of those 1.8-5.5 Conquests.... I agree, that a special scope right there.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
P
powdr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
up

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by drover

Great Price!!

Great Scope!!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Of those three for the prices available I'd go FFII no doubt. They've been excellent for me.

I'd add to that list the Weaver Grand Slam though. I love that Burris a lot but would put the GS against the FFII though I have become a huge fan of the BP so that'd edge out the Weaver.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
692 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 222ND, 16penny, 75 invisible), 2,769 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,627
Posts18,398,735
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.