Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Shooters!

This coming saturday, 25-Mar-17 we will have our annual Safari Rifle shoot at PRGC!

[Linked Image]

see http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/safari-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html

This is a fun shoot for elephant guns at reduced size and life sized targets and fairly short distance.

We'll shoot about 20 shots in 4 or 5 stages ranging from plains game to full sized elephant and charging cape buffalo! bring rifles appropriate to the species! We'll keep hit/miss score with a few twists.

Winner gets a pith helmet! But if you won in the past you MUST wear your helmet to every future shoot! Everyone who has ever shot this says they had a great time!

We will start setting up and signing up before 8, lots of guys set their big rifles out on display while we are signing up and giving the safety announcement. We try to start shooting by 9AM. We should be done early afternoon. Then, in keeping with a a tradition for several years now, we'll go out for early dinner afterwards!

Post or PM any questions!

[Linked Image]

PRGC is a member-run club with 7 ranges from 10 meters to 500 yards.
Take 7th AVENUE south of baseline to the base of South Mountain.
915 W. Olney, Phoenix, 85041
http://www.phoenixrodandgun.org/

We have a Hunting Rifle shoot, a more serious practice for life-sized north american game hunting rifles next month, 23-Apr check http://arizona-rifleshooting.com/hunting-rifle-shoot-PRGC.html for info.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bill, that looks like fun with the big bores. Last summer some of our Campfire guys enjoyed a "dangerous game" shoot up this way in the forest. It was interesting - with some good help, I rigged a zip line type setup where the game (an elephant in that case) was coming straight at the shooter from about 30 or 40 yards out. The young fellow pulling the target at top running speed was fairly well worn down at the finish.

Double-gun shooters got off two shots - I think most bolt guys managed only one. Some very good shooting - but others got trampled. We didn't have the cleverness to think of pithy helmets.

As an aside, in the early to mid-60s I used to shoot at a range facing the base of South Mountain - seems like it may have been down 7th St. - but heard that it had been closed long ago. Might that be the same one, still in operation?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
its down 7th ave and still open. and still faces into the sun!

you see the cart with the buff in the group photo, that is the charging buffalo, one guy pulls the rope another guys shoots.

Poole

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like fun. Unfortunately I have prior plans, its the same weekend of the Webelow's crossover campout with the Boyscouts. I think my lever action Ruger in the all powerful .17 hmr might be a little too powerful for most to shoot. grin

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

472 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 16penny, 12savage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,931 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,276
Posts18,467,558
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.