Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#11913145 03/20/17
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
What are your guys' opinions on good 223 brass? I don'e necessarily need Lapua brass out of an AR, but what are thoughts on Hornady? Rem? Win? 'Insert company' once fired...? This'll be for a 'plinker' out to 3-400 or so if it makes any difference

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
BP-B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
LC - good brass, my brass of choice.

It can be found quite reasonable processed, or if you don't mind doing the processing yourself it can be really reasonable.

Here is a link to some processed from a 'fire member -

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11912407/Searchpage/3/Main/816219/Words/223+brass/Search/true/Re:_FS:_Fully_Processed_FC_223#Post11912407

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer Remington for my ARs. I buy it in bulk from BrassmanBrass.

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Same here but for bolt guns.

Have had great luck with Winchester as well.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I also prefer R-P....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan

Same here but for bolt guns.

Have had great luck with Winchester as well.

Fantastic source...

Brassman lives about two miles around the corner from me..

Great guy and he's got plenty of brass over there...

couldn't deal with better folks...

I've gotten spoiled on Remington Brass from over at his place as of late...

no need to give the primer pockets a lot of attention, like so many Lake City and Federal stuff always seem to have that pesky military crimp...

he unknowingly got me spoiled...

he's got plenty of Winchester also...

great guy, great prices and includes shipping...

what else can ya want!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In my 223's, I use Remington, Winchester, LC, along with some Federal and Hornady bras. Have more LC and Winchester than anything else. Can't tell any difference.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I'll also vouch for Brassman's once-fired Remington brass. I'm pretty sure some of the other brands would work as well, but I haven't tried them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only used three: R-P (Remington), LC 14 (Lake City 2014), and FC (Federal). This was all range scrounged at my local range. In my limited experience I like R-P brass. All my most accurate loads have been loaded with it.

I don't care for Federal .223 brass. I scrounged enough that I didn't want to just scrap it so I ended up using for my reduced Seafire/Ingwe "bunny loads". The cheap 55g Hornady SP over 13.0g of IMR 4198 for 2,100 fps and ~1.5 MOA. A hoot to shoot.

I've only tried one load work-up with the LC brass and honestly it was disappointing, but there is no way to tell if it was due to the brass. It was a new powder, new bullet, and new primer as well so who knows what part of the combo my gun didn't like. LC 14 brass, Barnes 55g TTSX, Ramshot TAC, and Remington 7 1/2 primer. I had high hopes but the mini-Audette ladder didn't show anything worth persuing. I plan to retry the bullet+powder with R-P brass and my regular CCI 400 primer. I've heard great things about the 55g TTSX and TAC and really want to get them to shoot!

Since you can often find so much abandonded .223 brass I had high hopes of being able to feed the gun nothing but scrounged brass. laugh I had to cave recently as I decided to standardize on R-P brass and I don't want to have to slowly scrounge up a good supply. I have still never paid for new brass, but I did just recently order 500 pieces of once-fired R-P brass from Brassman Brass ($49 delivered). My tumbler finally crapped out so I haven't had a change to get it loaded up yet.

I can't speak for Winchester as I've never used it but I'd suggest giving R-P brass a try.

Good Luck.

“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
― Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Many years ago my good friend and Varmint Hunting partner "Irv" acquired one of the first "heavy barrel" AR type Rifles.
He strapped a Leupold 6.5x20 variable power scope on to it and went to town!
He used Winchester 223 brass and loaded his ammo for this Rifle on a Dillon progressive press - and then you could have knocked me over with a feather when he began shooting (consistently!) 3/4" five shot groups at 200 yards with this set-up!
I have seen him do this a dozen times there at the SPAA Range in Tukwila, Washington.
I have seen Irv take Rock Chucks with this set-up in excess of 1/4 mile away!
And probably some Prairie Dogs as well but my memory is not clear on that point right now.
I like Winchester brass in my 223 bolt guns but I also use LaPua, Federal, Remington and Hornady in my many and varied 223 bolt guns.
Best of luck to you in your decision making and brass availability.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by drover
LC - good brass, my brass of choice.

It can be found quite reasonable processed, or if you don't mind doing the processing yourself it can be really reasonable.

Here is a link to some processed from a 'fire member -

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11912407/Searchpage/3/Main/816219/Words/223+brass/Search/true/Re:_FS:_Fully_Processed_FC_223#Post11912407

drover

This. I find it to be great brass with the smallest amount of neck thickness variation of any other I have measured.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
LC Takes a lot of prep if you get raw oncefired, but it's pretty consistent and lasts in my ARs.

D
D
I process brass from range pickup for general AR rounds. After prep, I use whichever I grab out of the box and reload it.

I can say that LC is by far the hardest to process of the major brands you see. I use a 45deg bit made for removing the primer crimp and you can feel the difference in LC brass. PMC is the softest I have done prep work on, and FC is nearly always shorter than Spec, but they all run through the AR's without issue.

I have a couple thousand LC, I think they are 2014's set aside that the weights are within a few hundreths and the oal are identical within spec's.... these have been received from different places and they are all the same... good run of brass that time.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I miss the days when one could buy 1000 pieces of Lake City brass, that were all cleaned and shined with the primer crimp removed for $35 shipped from Cabelas...

after I process say 50 rounds of once fired Lake City brass, and load them... and then process 50 rounds of Remington or Winchester once fired brass...

I wonder constantly why I screw around with Lake City any more...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use the LC brass too, prepping inst that big of a deal. Just do 50 or so at a time. Make sure you trim it, any brass in an AR needs trimming. Don't be a dumass like me and load 500 pieces of Speer brass, without trimming. No workie for cshit. Ima a dumass!!! Worked in bolt, so it wasn't a total loss.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use the LC brass too, prepping inst that big of a deal. Just do 50 or so at a time. Make sure you trim it, any brass in an AR needs trimming. Don't be a dumass like me and load 500 pieces of Speer brass, without trimming. No workie for cshit. Ima a dumass!!! Worked in bolt, so it wasn't a total loss.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I am so tired of prepping LC brass, have over 3000.
No more.
I use PMC exclusively now, no crimps, and seldom does it need any primer pocket work. I load them to 5.56 pressure specs, and they hold up nicely.

Last edited by lanenebraska; 04/11/17.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have worked my way through a thousand or so pieces of LC brass and also don't view it as a a terrible chore. Maybe when in the midst of the process I was hating life for a moment or two, but now that it's behind me I don't care- and will continue to do so in future as I really like my results with LC brass.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For surplus military brass, Lake City hands down. Commercial, I've got Winchester and it's not given me any trouble, but that's 1000 cases I got ten years ago.
I've also got a medium size stash of IMI that has been fantastic stuff, just keeps on going.
I am not fond of Federal, I get stuck cases and rim tear-offs more from Fed than from anything else.
PMC brass scrounged has given me pretty good results, surprised me, actually.
Whatever you can get your paws on that looks nice and preps consistently should work for you, in a decent batch size (200 and over), should be fine. Except Federal. Federal and I do not get along at all.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I just figure for brass with a military crimp, I have to come up with a better way of getting rid of the crimp and reaming out the primer pocket...

anyone know of any good semi automated way of doing it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
388 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,050 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,594
Posts18,398,004
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.