Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Hey guys, I am going to cook[grill] filets tonight. I've several packs that came with my beef and finally decided it's time.
Never cooked them before. Anything I should know? Or do?
Thanks

FJB & FJT
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Going past medium rare is an abomination with a fillet. Other than that, have at it.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Treat them gently, it's a lean cut compared to a ribeye so it doesn't have fat to render and bail you out.

Take them out well before you want to grill them and let them warm up. They should be quite a thick cut and you don't want to end up with them charred on the outside and cold purple on the inside.

Build an asymmetrical fire, hot side and cooler side.

Season the steaks with coarse salt, also black pepper if you like.

Start them on the hot side to get the degree of sear you like. About two minutes a side will do if your fire is really going.

Move them to the cooler side and let them roast a few minutes to your desired degree of doneness.

When you take them off the fire you should put them on a plate and leave them alone for five minutes or so.

Serve up and dig in.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I wouldn't grill them at all. A big mistake IMO as they have no fat- 1. All you're going to do is dry them out. 2. They need some sort of sauce for taste.

Cast iron skillet with olive oil flipping every minute, then add a stick of butter, a few sprigs of thyme and 2-3 whole garlic cloves- baste for the final 2-3 minutes flipping evry 30 seconds. Total cooking time depends upon thickness.

Don't go past medium rare.

Take them out of the pan, deglaze with cognac, toss in some cream, reduce for 3-4 minutes while they rest.

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I fear for my wife, it has to be at least medium if not MW.
I'll be using my Smokey Joe.
Figure that I'll sear hers[both sides], move to other side[off heat] and give it a few minutes before searing mine and then move to off side.
Remove
And then let them sit.

Thanks, just not something I've ever cooked.

FJB & FJT
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Raeford
I fear for my wife, it has to be at least medium if not MW.
I'll be using my Smokey Joe.
Figure that I'll sear hers[both sides], move to other side[off heat] and give it a few minutes before searing mine and then move to off side.
Remove
And then let them sit.

Thanks, just not something I've ever cooked.

A close friend's mother is that way, and for all the years I've known her she's always wondered why it's so hard to get a tender, juicy steak. crazy

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Assuming they are fairly thick. Here is what I do with all steaks . Take steaks out about an hour before you plan to cook them to come up to room temp or close.Heat oven to 275. Place steaks on a rack in a baking pan. Don't want them resting on bottom of the pan.

Need about ten to twenty minutes of cook time depending on thickness. Cook to temp of 110. Remove from oven season as you like.

Onto to blazing hot grill for three or four minutes side depending on thickness and your desired doneness. I usually shoot for about 125 degrees. Rare side of medium rare. I let the steaks rest a couple minutes which gives a few more degrees.

Steaks always come out perfectly cooked all the way through not grey outside to red in the center. Nice med rare straight through.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
As long as we're adding steps and methods besides the grill, why don't we tell him to sous vide them first and flash sear at dinner time? grin

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
It took me years to get her to eat beef 'pink', but only if NO BLOOD comes out.

I may try the oven route sometime soon.

Thanks

FJB & FJT
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I could be a wiseacre, and say, send the wife to McDonalds, and I'll eat the Mignon, but, "I feel your pain", my wife likes her beef over cooked as well.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
To be frank, a ribeye is the steak for those who must have it cooked past medium.

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I could be a wiseacre, and say, send the wife to McDonalds, and I'll eat the Mignon, but, "I feel your pain", my wife likes her beef over cooked as well.

I just say " I guess you want yours killed, again?"

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Simple answer for those that have to have overcooked meat is to cut her steak thin. Hammering the outside to cook the inside is foolish.

If grilling just sear it and then move off the high heat and let the center catch up.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I have the same issue with my wife. Solution is I butterfly her filet. It still goes on about 30 seconds prior to mine.
When mines the rare side of medium hers is done as well.

Flyer

R
Raeford Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Might try that[butterflying]

FJB & FJT
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For me the problem is the idea of cooking it medium well, not so much the how to. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mathman
For me the problem is the idea of cooking it medium well, not so much the how to. grin

A conscience is a terrible cross to bear!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Skewer it with some bacon - adds flavor/fat.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Filet is overpriced and overrated. It is tender will give you that, but I have good teeth. Ribeye is where it's at in this house. Even lesser cuts have better flavor. A good steak can stand alone, the bacon is good with beans or on the salad.
Flame on.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You shouldn't need good teeth for a quality ribeye or strip steak for that matter.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 37 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.