Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I purchased a BFR in .475 Linebaugh this year and now I would like to handload for it. After looking at a few manuals and checking on-line a question came up. In the Hornady manual it uses Winchester WLR primers, but in an article written by Brian Pearce in the Lyman manual he says never to use rifle primers in the .475 Linebaugh as pressures can increase. Lyman uses CCI 350 magnum pistol primers. Lyman gives pressure, but Hornady doesn't

Both manuals show similar or the same loads with the powders tested and both have similar velocities. I am mostly looking at H110 and Alliant 2400. I wouldn't mind trying MP 300 too if I can data for it.

What has been your experience with this cartridge and the primer controversy, if any.

Also, I am loading the Cast Performance 410g WFNGS. All I could get at this time. Any sources of safe handloads would be appreciated too.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would highly recommend CCI 350's for H-110/W-296. My loading has been for the 480 (occasionally loaded to 475 levels with a special long bullet). I'd suggest with your 410 gr WGNgs to start with a 480 load 21.0 gr of H-110 and work up. You should be able to get a good accurate load in the 1200-1350 fps range depending on your barrel length.

I did some work with 2400 and as I recall I used CCI 300's.

Be forewarned that original 475 Linebaugh data was for 45-70 brass shortened to 1.4" with the rim turned down. with bullets that had a 0.40" crimp to meplat length. Then when Jack Huntington started to rechamber and rebarrel FA mdl 83's the bullets had to be shortened to 0.37" crimp to meplat for the shorter FA cylinders and commercial 475 brass has slightly less capacity than starting with 45-70 cases. A long way of saying that the original loads are too hot with the smaller capacity brass and bullets that have occupy more case capacity.

"old data"

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt475.htm

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
458Lott is on the money with this. I would add only that I also found Federal 155's to be a good primer with this bullet and H110 in BBA cases. Definitely heed the old data warning!

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I loaded up with CCI 350 primers, but still find it curious that Hornady list WLR primers for the .475. I am using Hornady .475 Linebaugh cases.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
+1 on first two comments.

Hodgdon's data uses WLP Win Large Pistol Primers

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

I've shot 15,000 plus round thru my FA83. Most of those were mid .480 level loads in .475 cases using WLPs with HS6 2400. 2400 will leave some unburned powder in chambers at 19.0 - 20.0gr using standard primers (I never tried magnum primers with 2400) -- primers worked just fine.

When loading full house .475s using H110/296, I used CCI 350s.

I'm pretty sure most (if not all) current small rim .475 Brass have large rifle primer pockets.

Paul

Last edited by paul105; 03/21/17.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Use magnum large pistol primers only.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
As noted, my 475's and 500 L only see CCI 350's regardless of powder/charge.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
This the response I received from Hornady about my inquiry into their use of the WLR primer. Looks like it is safe with their loads.

"... thank you for your inquiry.  Our data was developed using the Winchester WLR primer and, with the component lots we used, the charges listed remained within SAAMI pressure specifications for the cartridge.  If using our data for load development, we suggest using a large rifle primer, and working up from the lowest charge listed.  This will allow you to test function and accuracy as well as monitor pressure signs.  If you are working with another manufacturers data, it may be advisable to contact them directly for additional insight regarding the data that they provide." 
Thanks sms

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your goal is top accuracy and consistent ignition especially at low temperatures with H-110/W-296, just stick with CCI-350's. I've popped off thousands of them in a variety of temperatures, ranges and calibers. If you're going to use H-110/W-296 in the 44, 45, 480, 475 or 500, light it off with a CCI-350.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Small rifle and small pistol primers have the same dimensions. Large rifle and large pistol do not. The diameter is the the same, the cup height is not.

Large rifle primers may be too tall to squeeze into large pistol primer pockets without deforming / damaging / possibly setting off the primer. Large pistol primers may not seat firmly enough to fire reliably in large rifle primer pockets.

You should find out which kind of primer your specific brass was made for .. don't assume. I was thinking it was .500 S&W but it might be .475 ... Hornady has made both at one time or another for one of those cartridges. I believe the load data was also changed because the cup thickness is also different making the pressure limits different.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I loaded CCI 350 and WLR in the Hornady case and they both seem to fit the same.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I loaded CCI 350 and WLR in the Hornady case and they both seem to fit the same.

The primer pockets are deep enough for a rifle primer but you should only use large pistol magnum primers, not rifle primers. The rifle primer can increase pressure by as much as 10,000 psi without a correlating increase in velocity by over ignition.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
One has to wonder then where Hornady came up with the idea of using WLR rifle primers in their .475 loads. What is curious is when looking at the Lyman manual they us CCI 350s and the Hornady manual uses WLRs with the same powder starting charges in H110 and W296. In the Hornady manual, again with WLRs, they allow for more powder than the Lyman to achieve similar velocities. The Lyman uses a 7.5" barrel from a universal receiver and the Hornady uses a Freedom Arms with a 7.5" barrel.

If they were worried about pressure would they continue with this. And remember they reaffirmed their use of the WLR is their email to me. Reading Brian Pearce article in the Lyman he also says never to use rifle primers, but there it is.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
One has to wonder then where Hornady came up with the idea of using WLR rifle primers in their .475 loads. What is curious is when looking at the Lyman manual they us CCI 350s and the Hornady manual uses WLRs with the same powder starting charges in H110 and W296. In the Hornady manual, again with WLRs, they allow for more powder than the Lyman to achieve similar velocities. The Lyman uses a 7.5" barrel from a universal receiver and the Hornady uses a Freedom Arms with a 7.5" barrel.

If they were worried about pressure would they continue with this. And remember they reaffirmed their use of the WLR is their email to me. Reading Brian Pearce article in the Lyman he also says never to use rifle primers, but there it is.

Since you don't believe me just call John Linebaugh and ask him. He has pressure tested the difference.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I contacted Hornady who I believe has the technology to pressure test the loads they develop. Does Linebaugh or was it by getting problem signs with his handloads?

Do you not believe Hornady?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Hornady lists the .475 Linebaugh, 460 and 500 S&W with WLRs

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John Linebaugh has had his loads pressure tested. I'd also venture to say many shooters here have shot many more loads through 475's than the Hornady factory as well as in field conditions not just in the lab.

But hey, dismiss decades of field experience and 10's of thousands of rounds.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
By that logic why do we even look at reloader manuals for any load data. Why don't we just go ahead and fly by the seat of our pants like people used too. Has anyone besides Linebaugh and Hornady tried the two to see if their is a difference?

For those who took the time to read the email from Hornady they claimed safe pressures with their loads using WLR. So I have loaded up both CCI 350s and WLRs to see. As soon as I can I'll try them. Maybe Hornady is wrong in using WLRs. I'll see.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
By that logic why do we even look at reloader manuals for any load data. Why don't we just go ahead and fly by the seat of our pants like people used too. Has anyone besides Linebaugh and Hornady tried the two to see if their is a difference?

For those who took the time to read the email from Hornady they claimed safe pressures with their loads using WLR. So I have loaded up both CCI 350s and WLRs to see. As soon as I can I'll try them. Maybe Hornady is wrong in using WLRs. I'll see.

You asked the question and we answered. Yes John Linebaugh pressure tested his loads. The pistol case is not large enough to require LRP ignition. I've owned a 475 since 1988 and have owned them since, but you do as you please.

Don't have a clue as to asking "which primer" since you already have your mind made up.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

No we read it, not saying that they published unsafe data. Just saying there is no real reason to do so and John Linebaugh the inventor of the cartridge doesn't recommend LRP's for the cartridge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (10gaugeman, 204guy, 007FJ, 2500HD, 06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 51 invisible), 2,924 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,594
Posts18,454,365
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.