Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I'm in the market for a new pack at the $500 price point.

The two I'm currently considering are:
Mystery Ranch Metcalf
Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

I haven't tried either of them on yet, just researching and hoping to pick the brains of anyone more experienced than me at this point.

I've heard great things about Kuiu, but have yet to mess with any of their gear, only owned a few clothing items at this point.

I do high country hunts and prefer to keep things as minimal as possible when packing in. Typically sleep in a bivy and only bring a set of binos, no spotter. Hikes in could be up to 15 miles and last up to a week. I need something that will carry comfortably well and stand up to a decent amount of punishment.

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I"d also look at the exo pack as well as stone glacier and kifaru.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For $500, you can do way better than a Kuiu or MR. I like MR, but they're heavy and require an added upgrade to the frame to achieve any lift above the shoulders. A Kuiu Icon is one of the last packs I'd ever spend money on.

I'd take a pretty hard look at a lightly used Kifaru or Stone Glacier.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What Tanner said with the exception MR's new frame has the load lifters incorporated and is a little lighter than previously. I also concur that Kuiu isn't as comfortable once weight is added. I tried that route last year.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Tanner
For $500, you can do way better than a Kuiu or MR. I like MR, but they're heavy and require an added upgrade to the frame to achieve any lift above the shoulders. A Kuiu Icon is one of the last packs I'd ever spend money on.

Tanner

Sound advice! Rockslide has used ones all the time under your price!

Good Shooting!
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Tanner

Yep. Listen to Tanner, he knows gear.

I have four Stone Glaciers and love them.

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Did some checking into the Stone Glacier stuff... it sounds so similar to the Mystery Ranch stuff to me.
What makes it any better than the Mystery Ranch? I'm genuinely interested and not trying to be argumentative about it. I know very little about packs at this point, but really want to be able to carry loads out without destroying a pack or being overly sore from a poorly designed system - my previous experience so far.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only "hunting" pack I'd consider is Kifaru. It's the only pack marketed to hunters that allows a custom fit to the back when using the aluminum stay option. It's available in three torso sizes.

Otherwise, find a used, pre-2008 Arctery Bora 80 or 95, a used Dana Design Terraplane or Astralplane, or a pre-2000 Osprey Silhouette or Zenith, or a 1990's Mountainsmith.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Brad
The only "hunting" pack I'd consider is Kifaru. It's the only pack marketed to hunters that allows a custom fit to the back when using the aluminum stay option. It's available in three torso sizes.

Otherwise, find a used, pre-2008 Arctery Bora 80 or 95, a used Dana Design Terraplane or Astralplane, or a pre-2000 Osprey Silhouette or Zenith, or a 1990's Mountainsmith.

Kifaru is a bit above my price range...
What's wrong with Mystery Ranch? I thought they were a hunting pack marketed to hunters?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brad, what do you think about other Osprey packs, like the Argon?

I already have an Astralplane.

Last edited by JRaw; 03/22/17.
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Here's a couple of good packs that you might want to check out.

I use and Osprey Aether 85 now.
Osprey Aether 85
It's the most comfortable backpack that I own. But it's not a hunting pack.

I've been considering buying a KUIU Ultra 6000 pack
KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

I've been seeing good stuff about the Kuiu Ultra 6000 bag with the Pro Frame & Suspension added. I may go that route for now, just because the price is so agreeable and I could always upgrade next season if I feel the need.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd take a beat up Kifaru or Stone Glacier way before a brand new KUIU.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wilkup
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

I've been seeing good stuff about the Kuiu Ultra 6000 bag with the Pro Frame & Suspension added. I may go that route for now, just because the price is so agreeable and I could always upgrade next season if I feel the need.

I have guided hunters using Kuiu Ultras and have worn them for a short period of time, and I can tell you that I wouldn't use one for hunting and packing any weight if it was given to me for free. For light use and general backpacking it'd be fine.

My main gripe with MR is the weight and short frame length. But, as Scott said above, they did supposedly improve their new frame.

Your $500 will easily buy you a very solid lightly used Kifaru setup.

Tanner

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

Upgrading later will just cost you money, a used Kifaru as has been mentioned will put you ahead of the game!

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

I have guided hunters using Kuiu Ultras and have worn them for a short period of time, and I can tell you that I wouldn't use one for hunting and packing any weight if it was given to me for free. For light use and general backpacking it'd be fine.

My main gripe with MR is the weight and short frame length. But, as Scott said above, they did supposedly improve their new frame.

Tanner

Would you mind elaborating on why the Kuiu is a poor choice? I'm ready and willing to learn but just hearing multiple people say they wouldn't wear a Kuiu if given one for free doesn't help me make any sort informed decision. I don't want to be disagreeable; I'm here to learn something new, so tell me why... because rockslide has some favorable reviews of the Kuiu pack systems.

Last edited by Wilkup; 03/22/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If minimalist is your goal, I'd look hard at the Seek Outside packs. Between SG, SO, and Kifaru, I'm guessing you'll find something that turns your crank.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
They are all similar but very different packs. I've talked to lots of people and heard their experiences. I've heard people have good luck with heavy loads with the Kuiu Pro, I've tried it heavy, I heard people have problems with 30 lbs. Same goes for Kifaru, Stone glacier, MR, Seek Outside or any of them. Fit is a bit body style dependent and personal preference.

I don't think any of them are a bad choice, but several may not be the best choice to you. Personally, I think it starts with body type and size, and the type of user you are. After that what features do you value the most (Durability ? Weight ? Pockets of a certain type ? ). All the packs mentioned I think have pretty good reliability records since the kinks have been worked out.

For instance, of the packs mentioned, I think people with more of a mountaineer build will work better with a couple of the packs, while those built more like a halfback build may have better luck with a couple of the other packs.

Users that backpack at timberline might have better success with one pack than those that spend more time in brush.

Personally, given your description of minimal and bivy, and longer distances, I would steer you towards our pack (Seek Outside) or Stone Glacier or KUIU (though I can't comment on the ultra, all I've worn is the pro). The other packs are just heavier, and less minimalistic.

Not trying to be a salesman here, just trying to state one persons opinion of perfect may not be your style. A lot depends on your body type and hunt type.

Last edited by Kevin_T; 03/22/17.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

Tanner

Would you mind elaborating on why the Kuiu is a poor choice? I'm ready and willing to learn but just hearing multiple people say they wouldn't wear a Kuiu if given one for free doesn't help me make any sort informed decision. I don't want to be disagreeable; I'm here to learn something new, so tell me why... because rockslide has some favorable reviews of the Kuiu pack systems.

In my experience with the Ultra on and watching my clients wear them; the shoulder straps were too thin, the belt wrapped the hips poorly, and the frame was weak. One of them actually ended up taking the bag off the frame and zip-tying it to an external Barney's frame. In my opinion, Kuiu cut too many corners on this pack in particular and it shows up in particular with anything even moderately heavy inside of it.

My end point being: invest in something with a solid and proven suspension system. Your back and shoulders will thank you at the end of a long heavy pack-out.

Tanner

W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
They are all similar but very different packs. I've talked to lots of people and heard their experiences. I've heard people have good luck with heavy loads with the Kuiu Pro, I've tried it heavy, I heard people have problems with 30 lbs. Same goes for Kifaru, Stone glacier, MR, Seek Outside or any of them. Fit is a bit body style dependent and personal preference.

I don't think any of them are a bad choice, but several may not be the best choice to you. Personally, I think it starts with body type and size, and the type of user you are. After that what features do you value the most (Durability ? Weight ? Pockets of a certain type ? ). All the packs mentioned I think have pretty good reliability records since the kinks have been worked out.

For instance, of the packs mentioned, I think people with more of a mountaineer build will work better with a couple of the packs, while those built more like a halfback build may have better luck with a couple of the other packs.

Users that backpack at timberline might have better success with one pack than those that spend more time in brush.

Personally, given your description of minimal and bivy, and longer distances, I would steer you towards our pack (Seek Outside) or Stone Glacier or KUIU (though I can't comment on the ultra, all I've worn is the pro). The other packs are just heavier, and less minimalistic.

Not trying to be a salesman here, just trying to state one persons opinion of perfect may not be your style. A lot depends on your body type and hunt type.

Thank you for your thoughtful response, it was extremely informative and helpful. I guess my body type is somewhere between a mountaineer and halfback, maybe think smaller stature linebacker 😉 I'm 6'1" and 210. Definitely larger framed than most of my lean and light mountaineering/climbing buddies but still love to get after a good route. I may have to order a few and try them on for size.
The current pack I've used for the past several years backpacking and last hunting season is a simple Northface Venturi 40, so no matter what I upgrade to, it's gonna be amazing 😉

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My apologies, I completely forgot to mention Seek Outsides packs as I was just thinking internals. I definitely intend to try one soon. The frame system looks very well thought out and capable.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

What's wrong with Mystery Ranch? I thought they were a hunting pack marketed to hunters?

I could go into great detail, but here's the cliff notes version:

Unlike Kifaru, MR packs, by design, have limited adjustability in the frame system. Kifaru gives three sizes of packs with removeable, shapable, full length aluminum stays, like the old Dana Design Packs had (there's a reason for the pack list I gave in my first response). Dana Gleason removed multiple sizes and adjustability to simplify his packs and pack sales. I'd like to support my hometown packs, but I don't like the frame system. MR stuff is beautifully made, great colors, etc. But the frame is the heart and soul of a pack, not all the bells and whistles hanging on the frame.

Same with Stone Glacier, more of a modified Trapper Nelson. I haven't used the new X curve SG frame, but I found the old style uncomfortable (and yes, with weight). If I'm going to carry what essentially amounts to an external frame pack with uber-rigiid frame (like MR or SG), I'll go with the Seek Outside, that at least has a fairly articulated frame, yet is quite light, and can be made to fit my 22" spine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JRaw
Brad, what do you think about other Osprey packs, like the Argon?

I already have an Astralplane.

J, I used the Argon on a 3 day trip the year they first came out. Osprey took the Crescent line, and shortened the stays, totally compromising its load carrying ability. They did this to cut weight, but it also ruined the point of that pack, which is carrying heavier loads. Also, the bioform belt is NOT comfortable with loads north of 45lbs. I returned it to REI. I believe they replaced it with their new incarnation, the "Xenith". I had the original 1990's Xenith, and it was uber comfortable, as were all of the Osprey's of that era (for me). The new stuff, not so much.

I still have my old Crescent, and would find it an ideal hunting pack, were it not for the hipbelt. 100 lb loads just suck with the belt. Because of its two-layer build, the hard, rolled edge of the outer layer cuts into my hips.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
This was specifically answered by Tanner, but there are other more general answers to your question embedded in other posts. To wit:
Some packs have limited adjustability or size ranges and might not fit you well.
Some packs do not have internal frame shape adjustment to fit your back contour.
Some packs have shoulder straps and hipbelts that might not work well with some bodies.
Some packs are poorly-thought-out limp noodles.
Some packs' only redeeming virtue is being offered in camo.
Some packs' bag designs get so busy that weight is excessive.
Some packs require a dedicated, focused minute or more to reassemble and don after opening said pack to access gear or food, with cram-and-go not being easy.
Some packs were built around load capability, with fluff added afterward (dana, MR, kifaru known, and I'd presume SG and Seek as well)
Some packs vice-versa (eberlestock, kuiu)

For me:
Keep it simple, stupid.
No excessive pockets or load shelves.
Bottom side external bottle pocket required for strapping rifle to pack. No exceptions.
Organize your crap with UL stuff sacks.
It's nice to have a small sealed pocket in which to put wallet contents and vehicle keys, so they stay with your pack until you mean to get them out.

I haven't used the Gucci hunting packs named here: Kifaru, Kuiu, SG, Seek, etc. I own a kifaru bikini frame but haven't found a bag I like yet. I've hunted and carried meat in various danas: longbed, terraframe, terraplane, alpine. All work fine. The dana arcflex waistbelts are great, the dana external belts suck. Hill people gear's heavy belt doesn't adapt well to Danas as Danas need a hard point for the wand straps. The arcteryx ible belts work fine on danas if they fit you. Lately there have been some great danas in great colors on ebay. You'll give up 2 pounds +/- using a dana vs the Gucci hunting packs. I can afford to buy whatever, and I find myself often using a 7-lb 90s vintage dana alpine bought on craigslist for $50, or a 7.5-lb dana terraframe bought when they were on firesale for $99, both with large size arcflex waistbelt. Medium works when bodyweight slips below 215, but I've not been there since 2010...

Originally Posted by KC

Osprey Aether 85

KUIU Ultra 6000
Looks very tempting.

KC

Tanner

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I went the opposite route with the Kuiu set ups. Ultra Frame and Icon Pro Bags.

I was also able to jump on the packs when they had a massive clearance sale.

Coming out of the military anything was better than an ALICE or MOLLE. I tried an Eberlestock X2 and it wasn't big enough for what I wanted and was too heavy, squeaky, etc.

at 6'1 i went with a tall frame, the adjustability is great, very easy to use as is the meat shelf set up. The bags are easy to interchange. I used a 3200 IP for day hunts and solo short trips.

I had well over 100lbs coming out with a buddy's mule deer. That much weight will never be comfortable but I felt as good as I think I could feel.

You can find a Kuiu set up for well under your price point used or on sale.

I have not tried MR, Kifaru or EXO

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
When I was preparing for a sheep hunt a few years ago I tried out several packs - 2 used (Old Dana Design and Arcteryx Bora 80) and 2 new ones (Stone Glacier and Seek Outside) -- All packs that typically are praised here and elsewhere.

I tried them all with with as heavy weight as I expected to carry and my favorites were the Dana Design and Seek Outside. I had heard great things about Stone Glacier and wanted it to work well but for my back the others were much better. I ended up taking the Seek outside and it worked great for me.

I guess my point is (as other have said) try out as many as you can and see what your back likes best.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Google up an old copy of Dana's sizing guide:
http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/common/fit_danapacks.html

And thumb through ebay for a half dozen or more candidate packs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-K2-terraframe-backpack-NOW-SHIPPING-/112328701056?hash=item1a274ff480:g:OgsAAOSwTM5YwKlR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-ArcFlex-Alpine-M-/282401968620?hash=item41c07811ec:g:kwAAAOSwsW9Yzs6b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-Expedition-Backpack-ArcFlex-Terraplane-Spruce-Size-Small-/391732948409?hash=item5b351a6db9:g:qy4AAOSwWxNYzuJG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-design-arcflex-terraplane-backpack-medium-/282398617779?hash=item41c044f0b3:g:MKIAAOSwYXVYyyC0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANA-DESIGN-Arcflex-Alpine-backpack-With-Hip-Straps-S-belt-XS-pack-/112340840403?hash=item1a28092fd3:g:q1sAAOSwYXVYzvgH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-ArcFlex-TerraPlane-Backpack-Pumpkin-Small-New-Old-Stock-WT-/292061521388?hash=item44003925ec:g:x5cAAOSw44BYhCP~

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Vek
I can afford to buy whatever, and I find myself often using a 7-lb 90s vintage dana alpine bought on craigslist for $50, or a 7.5-lb dana terraframe bought when they were on firesale for $99, both with large size arcflex waistbelt.

Some of the best choices out there...m90's internal frames by Dana, Osprey, Mountainsmith and Gregory were pretty much the pinnacle of pack design. I've pretty much quit offering suggestions on packs as most people want to know "which Kuiu, Eberlestock, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch" etc., pack to buy, not realizing that they're often poor imitations of older designs a guy can still get on ebay.

If you're not wedded to camo (I'm not), there are a lot of good (I would argue often better) choices out there...

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'll agree the old 90's osprey were pretty to very good. That was my big game pack before. The Dana's I tried were a bit hit and miss. I did not like the external at all.

Camo, I think outside a couple popular patterns the trend in packs is away from camo because there are so many patterns out there. If you have a little clothing from a few different vendors, your pack is never going to match. I prefer a nice neutral color myself.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
W
Wilkup Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Vek
I can afford to buy whatever, and I find myself often using a 7-lb 90s vintage dana alpine bought on craigslist for $50, or a 7.5-lb dana terraframe bought when they were on firesale for $99, both with large size arcflex waistbelt.

Some of the best choices out there...m90's internal frames by Dana, Osprey, Mountainsmith and Gregory were pretty much the pinnacle of pack design. I've pretty much quit offering suggestions on packs as most people want to know "which Kuiu, Eberlestock, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch" etc., pack to buy, not realizing that they're often poor imitations of older designs a guy can still get on ebay.

If you're not wedded to camo (I'm not), there are a lot of good (I would argue often better) choices out there...

Excellent advice.
My biggest curiosity right now is how a load shelf works. My old TNF was terrible at supporting any sort of weight over 60 lbs and a load shelf seems like an excellent idea.
This has turned into an amazing thread with several very knowledgeable backpack hunters throwing their opinions into the mix.
My biggest take away from all this:
This subject is completely relative to body type and preference and at the end of the day I will make the best choice after wearing several.

Last edited by Wilkup; 03/23/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kind of like boots.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Excellent advice.
My biggest curiosity right now is how a load shelf works. My old TNF was terrible at supporting any sort of weight over 60 lbs and a load shelf seems like an excellent idea.
This has turned into an amazing thread with several very knowledgeable backpack hunters throwing their opinions into the mix.
My biggest take away from all this:
This subject is completely relative to body type and preference and at the end of the day I will make the best choice after wearing several.

Load Shelf - For most of the packs being talked about it is the ability to put a load between the frame and the pack bag. This has some benefits and drawbacks. The benefits are , that it keeps a bloody game bag away from your camp gear, keeps the heavy weight close to your body, often allows basically using as a hauler, and allows the use of potentially a smaller pack bag since you have no plan to use your pack bag to carry game meat. The drawbacks are it adds weight and complexity, which add price. Not everyone favors a load shelf, but many love the concept.

I've talked to some that favor a load shelf because they don't want blood getting in the pack bag at all and when in grizz country just prefer to hang their pack a ways from camp. I am not in grizz country and I've hauled out far more critters in non load shelf packs just fine. The main reason for me in usually using a non load shelf pack is I would rather use the few ounces more elsewhere on the pack so I usually choose a day talon (small day pack). Then I have a small day pack to use if needed as well and that saves more energy. Since our pack bags are mostly based on waterproof XPAC laminate blood comes out real easy and it isn't an issue for me. In a non waterproof laminate pack bag, getting blood out will be more of a challenge unless you protect the pack bag from the game meat (dry bag or trash bag).

I hope this sort of clears it up.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I've been thru Osprey, Mystery Ranch and now I have a Seek Outside,

Seek Outside is my clear favorite for fit/function , comfort when loaded, simplicity and weight,

My only regret is not getting one sooner,

I run a 4800 Unaweep, lid and day talon

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Vek
Google up an old copy of Dana's sizing guide:
http://www.sonomaoutfitters.com/common/fit_danapacks.html

And thumb through ebay for a half dozen or more candidate packs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-K2-terraframe-backpack-NOW-SHIPPING-/112328701056?hash=item1a274ff480:g:OgsAAOSwTM5YwKlR
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-ArcFlex-Alpine-M-/282401968620?hash=item41c07811ec:g:kwAAAOSwsW9Yzs6b
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-Expedition-Backpack-ArcFlex-Terraplane-Spruce-Size-Small-/391732948409?hash=item5b351a6db9:g:qy4AAOSwWxNYzuJG
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-design-arcflex-terraplane-backpack-medium-/282398617779?hash=item41c044f0b3:g:MKIAAOSwYXVYyyC0
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DANA-DESIGN-Arcflex-Alpine-backpack-With-Hip-Straps-S-belt-XS-pack-/112340840403?hash=item1a28092fd3:g:q1sAAOSwYXVYzvgH
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dana-Design-ArcFlex-TerraPlane-Backpack-Pumpkin-Small-New-Old-Stock-WT-/292061521388?hash=item44003925ec:g:x5cAAOSw44BYhCP~

For those considering a Dana Design pack.....

Dana was bought out in 1995 by K2/Marmont, and production was moved to Mexico in '96-98. The hip belts and shoulder belts instantly became crap--they didn't fit or conform well and quickly became hard with age--and the bags steadily declined in quality. They simply did not fit the same as the originals. Look for the "Made In Montana" logo on any Dana pack.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I've owned five big danas - the real old one has cordura shoulder straps that are ergonomically fine but not super cush. No biggie. This one had the softest hipbelt reinforcing panel of the bunch, which isn't a good thing. Also, the open cell foam against your back rotted, and I pulled it out through a slit and replaced it with closed. Doesn't ventilate much, but no biggie. I'd wet out with sweat on a warm day either way.

The Mexican packs are great - light pile lined shoulder straps, and nice stiff hipbelt backing.

The firesale externals in '00 or so had the cheapest shoulder straps of the bunch. I spent 3.5 days straight under a dall sheep in that pack with no chafe or heat.

IOW, my experience does not line up with yours whatsoever. I move a Mexican large hipbelt between my danas now and it works great. The Mexican mediums do too, when I'm not fatty fatty 2x4.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had zero problem with the Mexican Made Dana's, other than the belt and shoulder strap webbing tended to slip more (loosen) than those made here in Bozeman. I'd still take a Mexican Made K2 Dana over the locally made current Mystery Ranch.

My general problem with Dana's was I fell in between the size Medium and Lar, so was happier with the 1990's Osprey Silhouette and Xenith... those were absolutely two of the most comfortable packs I've ever owned. That and a 1987 Gregory Cassin.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'm with Brad....I love the he Dana packs. Still have 2 of them. Is there any love out there for the EXO packs??.....been seriously looking at the 5000. Sold all my MR packs. Also own an HPG pack, EXO 3500. Want to try a SG, Kifaru, and SO pack. Lots of great choices.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Oh patooie.....

Regardless, all I can say is you're gonna have to pry my Bozeman made Astraplane from my cold, dead shoulders..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've owned Eberlestock, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch and others. My current vote is for Stone Glacier.

I know three guys that have broke frames on Kuiu packs.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have both the Mex and the regular. No problems either one.

Lefty

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Another thumbs-up for Seek Outside. Real happy with the Unaweep 4800.

I don't have extensive experience with a lot of packs. I did a lot of time with ALICE and still use it some. Tried an ILBE and though it carried well, but seemed excessively heavy at over 8 lbs empty.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My experience with the old Dana's doesn't exactly jive with everyone elses. Their internals and externals are very well built, but I found the belts uncomfortable under heavy load testing. Load transfer is a bit complicated where simple is preferred.

Still, build quality was very good. Overall I don't think the Bozeman built Dana's are quite worthy of the cult status they have achieved. Technology generally moves forward, not backward, and pack design has improved in the last 20 years.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Do yourself a favor, spend a bit more and get a Kifaru. I wish Id skipped all the other packs and gone straight to Kifaru.

The only pack I kept after I got the Kifaru is a Barneys pack that I used for several years and just cant bring myself to get rid of.

The Kifaru packs down better which is nice but the barneys sure does carry heavy loads well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One major problem is this kind of guarantee.

"Made in the U.S.A with a 30 day money back guarantee if returned as new."

So, you are supposed to sit there and look at it leaning against the wall instead of actually using it in order for there to be a guarantee!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're referring to Kifaru, you've obviously never talked to them. I have a pack on the way and will try it out and decide within the 30 days. Their whole deal is don't abuse it for 30 days, then send it back like it was a new pack. They simply want to re-sell it for new - however you need to keep it that way while trying it out is up to you. I'm not expecting a problem with putting 50-60 'clean' lbs in it and taking it for a couple 1-3 mile hikes around the house. I'd bet I don't get it dirty, sweaty, or anything else........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10ring1, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1badf350, 007FJ, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,694
Posts18,456,626
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.