Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
OP Offline
L
Alright so I need some help. I'm in the market for a new short action hunting rifle. After looking a few and shouldering them I have fallen in love with the Remington model 7 stainless. My cartridge choice would be a 300 wsm or 308. Preferably the 300 wsm. Here's what I need help with, I suffered from an injury at birth which hinders me from using my right arm. I have several rifles and love to shoot, but the long action and heavy rifle I have are getting to be too cumbersome in a small tree stand and shooting house. Here's the problem I would need the rifle in left handed bolt. I have looked online but there isn't much info about the issue of the model 7 being a lefty option or not. I've seen pictures of them on google images but it could always be a similar gun that someone states as being a model 7. And if the rifle is not in left handed any suggestions on rifles similar in the 6.5 lbs or less. I've looked at the tikka and I know they are great rifles I just didn't fall in love. And if I'm going to use this rifle for years and customize it to me I'd sure like it to be one that I'm absolutely in love with. Thank you for any help and suggestions this will really help me a lot!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have never seen a lefty offering in the 7 from the factory but I could be wrong. If you are planning to do some work to the gun I would suggest you go with the 700 instead of the 7. It will be easier to find aftermarket parts for customization as well as finding one in a lefty. Personally I would lean towards the 308 but thats just my opinion you do what suits you best. You can do a lot to a 700 and make it just as light as the 7.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
L
OP Offline
L
The only 700 Remington offers in left handed are not stainless. Unless they offered them at an earlier year

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We have a short action stainless that Rem made in the last 24 months. Watch for limited runs of actions if you need stainless. It'd be fine to buy a blued version though and just have it coated by Birdsong Black T or Black Ice Coatings out of Utah.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a Model 7 in .308 years ago. Nice little rifle but it would do it's best to stomp me into a mudhole when I pulled the trigger. Good luck on finding one in lefty.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have always wanted a Model Seven in 35 REM, but the prices are outrageous.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've owned a couple of M-7's. Like most short-barreled bolt guns, they're very light in the muzzle, so they don't settle down well for offhand shooting. Remington sells them as brush guns, but I think they're one of the worst choices for this reason, and big scopes only make it worse. As others have pointed out, the M-700 is a better choice for a custom rifle, as you're more likely to find one that's closer to what you really want and more options are available.

As for the cartridge, a 6.5 pound 300 WSM means a lot of wear and tear on your shoulder, plus lightweight rifles are harder to shoot well and they tear up scopes. I also wouldn't get a 300 WSM with a 20" barrel. It needs 24" to deliver on its ballistic potential. I'd also question using a 300 magnum as a dedicated Southern whitetail rifle. The 308 is an excellent choice, even more so if you insist on using an M-7 as they're are made for each other. If you hunt out of a stand, then you'll have time to place your shots carefully, and you should be able to choose how long your shots are. The 308 will clobber deer out to several hundred yards, plus it's easy on the shoulder and cheap to shoot. It would be an excellent choice for the tasks you describe. I'd look for a stainless left-handed 700 with a 22" barrel and a good synthetic stock.

Since left-handed rifles are so hard to find, I'd also open up the caliber race to include common deer cartridges like the 243, 7-08, and 30-06. Here's one that would be very close to ideal for what you're talking about: http://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...m-08-left-hand-bolt.cfm?gun_id=100787593

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
L
OP Offline
L
Thank you for all the advice I will definitely look into the 700s. The reason for picking the 300wsm honestly is because I have two 308 and would like something different. I have a 3006 and 243 and me and my dad both have 7mm rem . mags. I have been wanting a different caliber for a while not I love all of the guns I have a all have a purpose but I've been wanting something shorter and lighter. I also am looking into doing some traveling and elk hunting in my future and knowing the 308 will do the job I've been wanting a 300 wsm mag for a while now. As far as kick and wear on my shoulder I'm 6'0 210 lbs and a shot ever now and then doesn't bother me. Thank you for all of the advice this has been very helpful!

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
You could buy you an action off of Budsgunshop and build it how you want it without being limited in caliber choices.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Never seen a model 7 lefty. I have 3 model 7, a 260, a 7-08 and a 308.
Prefer the 7-08 to the others.
If you want shorter and lighter might want to at least look at a stainless CVA hunter or scout.
It can be used left or right handed and they are very short, light and compact and offered in big game calibers.
5 years ago I never thought id like a single shot but now I have 3, one 243, one 7-08 and one 35 remington.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I could find love in my heart for a M7 in 300 WSM but likely not in stock configuration due to feeding issues and COAL limits.

I will say, I love my .358 M7 and Hornady is making .358 brass! smile

To expand upon the advice to buy a bare action from Bud's, that's a great way to go if you want to have exactly what you want. Lead time for premium barrels and stocks is ~ 6 months so you could have it by hunting season if you get rolling soon.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
L
OP Offline
L
Yes I believe I might end up going with a bare action and building from there. Going to talk with a few local custom gun shops on best bang for my buck barerel and actions. I believe I'll be going with a left handed rem 700 short action any other option you guys have experience with and like?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I agree on building what you want on a 700 action -for hunting about any quality aftermarket barrel will be fine .

Get a riflestock that will work well for whatever type of hunting you plan to do with the rifle . A lot of carrying -go lightweight -a Mcmillan is hard to beat -they cost a good bit but once in hand you'll like it.
Once you have all the componenets picked out and a gunsmith put it all together -bedded -trigger done right -maybe cerecoated etc. -you will love it .
Good luck !
And welcome to the Fire neighbor !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for the welcome! I will be posting pictures of the finished product on here! Thanks for all the help from everyone and anyone feel free to comment more advice at will!

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Talk to the guys in the Custom Rifle forum area , they can explain what you might like in a stock style etc. -LOP/length of pull -thickness of the forearm & wrist - plus get you squared on a rifle build that balances and feels good .

I have two customs and did all my own thinking and decisions --and ---well they might not be real well balanced and a couple of other things . But I still like them . laf .

I've come to decide that I like a standard remington type rifle BDL -22" #2 barrel .

Be careful about "deciding to save money" like buying a B&C stock then realizing it really does feel "clubby" then you sell it and buy an hs precision stock and realize that you don't like it all that well . So you took a loss on two stocks after selling them and now want to try the stock that you really wanted to begin with but decided to "save some money" .
Don't do any reading over in that forum though --more than one person has became a rifle building addict/fiend.

Ok -over & out !

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My brother and I both had a model 7 when they first came out. Both of them shot MOA and were convenient to carry in the woods.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lefty, the guys are right about finding a left handed action and building what you want. A #2 barrel 22in long and a light weight stock. I would not rule out the 7mm-08 or the 338Federal if you're going to take it elk hunting. The sky is really the limit to what one can do. powdr

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Another option for you is a Tikka t3X at about 6 pounds in left hand stainless or blue.

Doc

A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The Browning Micro might fit the bill for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jericho
I have always wanted a Model Seven in 35 REM, but the prices are outrageous.

+1

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (Akhutr, 10Glocks, batch, BB3, 10gaugemag, 13 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 855 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,226
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.