Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hello everybody,

Im new here but I recently scored a Weatherby Vanguard in 375HH for a price I couldnt pass up. I got it for 600 bucks off the shelf and out the door, I cant believe I could get into 375HH for that price.

Anyways, I took it out and it shoots quite well. The Williams sights seem well built And 5-6 types of ammo all shot very well, I wasnt making tiny groups as I was just shooting with Irons but I was keeping it accurate enough considering I havnt shot with irons in several years.

Anyways, Im looking for advice on putting a scope on this rifle, Id like to keep the cost sort of low because this isnt a very expensive rifle and I plan to get a Kimber Talkeetna and put a nicer scope on it,

What would you put on this weatherby as a sort of all around, beater, loaner, brush, camp gun?

Also, does anybody else have one of these? I havnt come across any reviews or anything online.

thanks!!!!

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I came close to buying one last year, but read several on-line complaints about them having a fragile bolt stop screw. Anyone else heard of that?

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I'd put a matte 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution scope on that rifle in that 50 dollar set of matte Buehler rings and bases down in the classifieds.

Trump Won!
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by McInnis
I came close to buying one last year, but read several on-line complaints about them having a fragile bolt stop screw. Anyone else heard of that?

I read that somewhere too but I have never heard of there being any sort of problem first hand and I even contacted weatherby and they said that it was a non-issue.

Ive used vanguards for awhile now, almost 10 years all over Alaska, Montana, New Mexico and Canada and never had the first hint of a problem with one. Seems like you can find a negative about any rifle if you look around enough.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'd put a matte 3-9x40 Redfield Revolution scope on that rifle in that 50 dollar set of matte Buehler rings and bases down in the classifieds.

That would make a nice solid set up, I'll look into that. Im hoping to take a bear this year on the peninsula with this rifle.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by gunner500

That would make a nice solid set up, I'll look into that. Im hoping to take a bear this year on the peninsula with this rifle.

I have owned about 10 Redfields mostly from the 70's all of them went bad. I'll never own another one.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have owned about 10 Redfields mostly from the 70's all of them went bad. I'll never own another one.

The new Redfields are from Leupold and have nothing but the name in common with the Redfields made in Denver.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If guess that it depends on how you're planning to use it. If you're going to use it in heavy/thick cover, I'd prefer a variable with a low magnification setting and a heavy reticle, something like the Leupold VX3 1.5-5x with a heavy duplex.

My 375 H&H currently has a 1986 vintage Leupold 2-7x28 on it, but if I was actually going to hunt with it, I'd upgrade the scope to a current Leupold in either the VX2 or VX3 lines. Regardless of what scope I put on it, I'd want a heavy/think reticle that grabs your attention the instant that your eye comes into alignment with the scope.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bugger
Originally Posted by jwp475

The new Redfields are from Leupold and have nothing but the name in common with the Redfields made in Denver.

Yep they are low end cheap scopes made by leupold. Leupold makes a lot of low end scopes under the name leupold also.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Great score, man...that is an $1100 rifle! (Fiberglass w/express sites...that one?). I spent a while looking at the newest range certified Vanguards and bought a 6.5 Creed Fiberglass. The box store had it priced $549! toe to muzzle this gun is as nice as any until you start talking a custom built rifle.

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice score on the 375! Have owned several Vanguards and been happy with them all. I'd put a low power variable Leupold VX3 on it and forget about it. I don't find a 375 to kick as sharply as say a 338 Win mag. My two 375's both wear 6X Leupolds, but probably wouldn't be the best for close in cover shots. Especially in bear country!

`Bring Enough Gun`
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE
Originally Posted by McInnis

I read that somewhere too but I have never heard of there being any sort of problem first hand and I even contacted weatherby and they said that it was a non-issue.

Ive used vanguards for awhile now, almost 10 years all over Alaska, Montana, New Mexico and Canada and never had the first hint of a problem with one. Seems like you can find a negative about any rifle if you look around enough.

I own a Howa 1500 (unbranded Weatherby Vanguard) and I have broken the bolt stop screw.

The bolt stop screw is very small and weak and if you pull the bolt back hard, like you might do if a cape buffalo is charging you, you may find the bolt never stops and comes right out the back.

I contacted Howa about it, was given the response that I should not be working the bolt so hard. I thought that to be an unsatisfactory answer and, can't remember if I said it or just thought it, hoped they never made a DG rifle.

Great rifle otherwise. Would recommend having a side bolt release installed (like many do on a Remington action) if you intend to hunt anything that may bite back.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Sevens
Would recommend having a side bolt release installed (like many do on a Remington action) if you intend to hunt anything that may bite back.

Please explain this modification further. I am not familiar with this and am interested in learning more about it. Who offers this service? Any insights on costs, lead time, etc?

Do you happen to have any pics of this?

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If guess that it depends on how you're planning to use it. If you're going to use it in heavy/thick cover, I'd prefer a variable with a low magnification setting and a heavy reticle, something like the Leupold VX3 1.5-5x with a heavy duplex.

My 375 H&H currently has a 1986 vintage Leupold 2-7x28 on it, but if I was actually going to hunt with it, I'd upgrade the scope to a current Leupold in either the VX2 or VX3 lines. Regardless of what scope I put on it, I'd want a heavy/think reticle that grabs your attention the instant that your eye comes into alignment with the scope.

Probably more heavy cover than open country (I have other guns for that). Leupold vx3 is a great scope, I have a few.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Uncas
Great score, man...that is an $1100 rifle! (Fiberglass w/express sites...that one?). I spent a while looking at the newest range certified Vanguards and bought a 6.5 Creed Fiberglass. The box store had it priced $549! toe to muzzle this gun is as nice as any until you start talking a custom built rifle.

550.00 for a Vanguard RC is an awesome deal. Id have been all over that.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by pinotguy
Originally Posted by Sevens
Would recommend having a side bolt release installed (like many do on a Remington action) if you intend to hunt anything that may bite back.

Please explain this modification further. I am not familiar with this and am interested in learning more about it. Who offers this service? Any insights on costs, lead time, etc?

Do you happen to have any pics of this?

Just google "Remington side bolt release mod" and you'll get plenty of results and images. It's a pretty common mod offered by most gunsmiths who work on remington actions - especially in the benchrest and tactical crowds. Nosler uses a Howa action on the patriot rifle and also puts a side bolt release on it - seems like a heck of an improvement over the tiny screw Howa/vanguard provides.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
VX-3 1.75-6x32 or 2.5-8x36
VX-2 2-7x33
Fullfield II 2-7x35

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I'm in the same position as you, but with a 416 Ruger.
After a lot of consideration, I'm going with a Nikon Slug Hunter 3x9x40mm.
They claim 5 Inches of Eye relief in all magnification levels and that's what really sealed the deal.
It's priced under $200 most places and that leaves me with some cash to buy the reloading components I need to feed the beast.

If Nobody Cares about Winning, Why Do They Keep Score ?
VL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
AKPENDUDE - " ...putting a scope on this rifle, Id like to keep the cost sort of low..." Don't short change yourself in this area. Spend a decent amount, for a reputable scope, so you can transfer it to the Kimber later. If you can't see your target chances are you won't be able to hit it. Remember that less expensive optics cost less for a reason...no free lunch here.
Homesteader

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Ive also had the bolt stop screw shear off on a Vanguard

dont think it would be a big deal to tap out the hole for a bit larger screw

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
739 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,822 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.