Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Esox357 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wanting to purchase a 12 ga semi auto for goose hunting. My 2 choices thus far are the Winchester SX3 or a Benelli? I want to purchase an additional barrel to double as a camping/home defense shotgun, so wanting to find a 18.5 barrel? Any recommendations?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The second 18.5" barrel for a 3.5" 12ga. autoloader is going to a very spendy option, if you can even find one. You might find a second 24" barrel, but that too will be pricey. I'd focus on selecting a waterfowl gun that fits you, that feels good in hand, and upon mounting. My working waterfowl guns are the Beretta Xtrema II. Beretta autos are unique in that the are both gas and recoil operated. They're soft shooting even with the heaviest loads forced through tight chokes. The Beretta Extema II is "Aqua" coated inside and out. This coating is extremely corrosion resistant. I hunt on and near saltwater and have been amazed at how well these guns have held up. There are lots of great options out there these days. You should be happy with any of them as long as you prioritize fit.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you that is another shotgun I will look at as well.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Buy a cheap 870 for home defense and chop the barrel down. If I were buying a gun specifically for goose hunting (not to be used for anything where I have to carry it much) it'd be a 10 gauge.

The SX3 will probably save you a few bucks over the Benelli, especially since Winchester just debuted the SX4. When the SX3 debuted I got a new closeout SX2 for $650.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Basil, if it's goose only

there are two options in my book as fsr as new guns

a Browning BPS 10 and a Browning Gold lite 10

lots of people will tell you there are no practical differences that justify the 10 but they are full of schidt

if you want a 12 auto my choices are benelli or Beretta.

I've had both the extrema2 and sbe2..you can't go wrong with either.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I want to shoulder a Beretta Xtrema2, haven't had a chance to get my hands on one but it does interest me. I might justify a 10 down the road, but for now I think I will stick with the 12? Thanks guys.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have been shooting a SBE for years I also have a beretta 391. Love them both but if i were gonna get a goose only gun it would be a 10 ga or a gun that uses the invector plus choke system like a Browning silver, gold, maxis, or a winchester SX2,3 OR 4. I have spent many hours patterning shotguns and nothing shoots heavy loads of big shot better than a 10 or a 12 ga with a big bore diameter. All the invector plus barrels are back bored and shoot big shot sizes very well and they aren't near as picky about loads. Take it or leave it. If not for that I would go with the beretta, (if it fits you well) less recoil than the benellis too.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Kingston, when you say Beretta's are gas and recoil operated are you talking about the KO as being the recoil part of the equation?

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If I were getting a dedicated goose gun it would definitely be a Gold 10 gauge.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
SP10 is a tough gun to beat for just a goose gun. They're heavy but they're reliable as a ball peen hammer and mine patterns beautifully with everything I've ever tried in it.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cdb
Kingston, when you say Beretta's are gas and recoil operated are you talking about the KO as being the recoil part of the equation?

The KO system would be the third mechanism of recoil management.

Originally Posted by seal_billy
I have been shooting a SBE for years I also have a beretta 391. Love them both but if i were gonna get a goose only gun it would be a 10 ga or a gun that uses the invector plus choke system like a Browning silver, gold, maxis, or a winchester SX2,3 OR 4. I have spent many hours patterning shotguns and nothing shoots heavy loads of big shot better than a 10 or a 12 ga with a big bore diameter. All the invector plus barrels are back bored and shoot big shot sizes very well and they aren't near as picky about loads. Take it or leave it. If not for that I would go with the beretta, (if it fits you well) less recoil than the benellis too.

Aren't the newer Berettas, the Xtrema2 included, back bored? The Xtrema2s use Beretta's longer profile choke tubes. I forget what they're calling them.

For the record, I have an SP10 and a BPS10, but the OP asked about 12s. I'd love one of those new Browning 10s like Gitem's!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I can't believe anybod'd pay good money for a dedicated goose gun. WTF do you guys do with those nasty tastin' things ?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
they're only nasty tasting if you can't cook.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Goose breast, just like sirloin! Fo-real!

But that's got nothing to do with justifying goose guns.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yes, goose tastes awesome.
To be honest in the crockpot I can't tell the difference between it and venison roast.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Brian, do you haunt any of the Facebook waterfowl groups

there are Browming golds offered uo for good prices quite often

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Tom264
To be honest in the crockpot I can't tell the difference between it and venison roast.
Tates like liver to me and I hate liver. Lotsa guys I work with shoot them but none like the meat. They all make jerky out of it to cover the nasty taste.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am with Blkheart on this one.. my dogs love goose jerky though!

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Tom264
Tates like liver to me and I hate liver. Lotsa guys I work with shoot them but none like the meat. They all make jerky out of it to cover the nasty taste.

Wife takes the goose breast in a crockpot with cream of mushroom soup, potatoes, carrots and onions and we love it.
The meat has a stringy (for a lack of better explaination ) texture just like a big venison/elk roast.
And like I said tastes just like it.
One thing I do when cleaning the bird is to make sure there is zero fat or oils on the meat.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Esox357
Wanting to purchase a 12 ga semi auto for goose hunting. My 2 choices thus far are the Winchester SX3 or a Benelli? I want to purchase an additional barrel to double as a camping/home defense shotgun, so wanting to find a 18.5 barrel? Any recommendations?

For goose only, I'd choose the SX3 for recoil reduction and backbored barrels.

But I'd choose the Benelli SBEII for an all-around waterfowl gun, including goose.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 59 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 1,102 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,193
Posts18,465,845
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.