Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#11913203 03/20/17
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, I picked up a Ruger 9E for under 300 dollars shipped. I had handled one, and thought it might be nice to try one out and use it as a "take a newbie shooting" gun, as they always seem to want something less expensive than the GP100 4" that they love, or a Glock.

I put a few hundred round of Blazer Brass 124gr without any stoppages, then 100 rounds of Wolf Polyperformance. Like the Blazer, it all went bang, but I had a few pieces of brass to the face. well, technically steel. I then shot a box of Federal HST 124gr +P, also with no issues. I ended by shooting another 100 rounds of Blazer and some handloads.

The trigger is better than any Glock I've owned came from the factory, and the mag disconnect took about three minutes to remove. I tested it, and it did fire with the magazine out.

The target was 10 yards. I'm not a good handgun shot, as I prefer rifles but it shot as well for me as my Glocks and S&W's do.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Overall, for under 300 bucks, I think this thing is a steal.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good deal,thanks for sharing.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They are a good deal, and they feel good in the hand. Reliable too.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 9E is one of the best budget pistols out there.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I recently got one myself. I think mine was on sale for $269.00 or $289.00. I was wanting to buy a Canik but saw this American made 9mm for a lot less so it is mine. It handles very well and is accurate. Out of about 450 rounds I have had no stoppages or hangups.

Steve......

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have to say Ruger keeps impressing.

What's the difference between this and the SR9?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The SR9 has slightly better sights, and comes with 2 mags instead of 1.

9E is just fine. Buy a couple more mags

CDNN Sports $299.99 for the SR9E

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I have to say Ruger keeps impressing.

What's the difference between this and the SR9?

Dave

The biggest thing is the absence of the huge-assed monstrosity of a loaded chamber indicator.

The frame and trigger/internals are the same. The slide internals are also the same other than the above LCI being absent. And the slide isn't rounded off like the SR9, it is machined with flats. The serrations on the slide are also more coarse than the SR9.

It also has a different finish, and the slide is alloy, not stainless steel.

Taking off the backplate is also a tiny bit different, but just as easy.

Overall, it has me thinking an SR9C wouldn't suck. Same capacity as a G26 but thinner.

It comes with one mag, but I bought it from Grab A Gun and got a two-pack of SR9/9E mags for 35 bucks, so I had three mags and the gun for under 350 shipped and transferred.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Thanks goalie. Didn't know any of that.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nice, I too have been wondering about them. A pair for the vehicles would be nice.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, for the money, it's a great value. I had read that you should clean it well when you buy it, especially the striker channel, as it can gum up with the factory grease and cause light-strikes.

I disassembled it and removed the magazine disconnect while doing the initial cleaning, and there was some grease in the striker channel, so I cleaned it all out and ran it with the striker and striker channel dry (a spray of rem-lube on the striker and wiped off, the channel cleaned with a q-tip and blown out with an air compressor). It shot the Wolf crap without any light-strikes or issues, and those primers are rocks, so I'm happy.

I just mention it because pretty much all of the bad stuff I've read about the pistol seem to be related to light-strikes, often due to crap gumming up the striker channel. I also just put a drop of oil on the rails.

Internally, it didn't look too dirty after 500+ rounds, so I cleaned it and did the same with the striker/striker channel.

Oh, and the sights look to be pretty much the same as the Novak's that came on my Ruger American Compact. They are metal three-dot low-profile sights. I threw a TLR-3 on the rail, and don't see a need to "upgrade" the sights to night sights at this time.

In the end, it's trigger is light years ahead of S&W's Sigma-style "economy" 9mm, and I'd rather have a good (relative to striker-fired plastic handguns) trigger than the extra mag the SDVE comes with. And I'm not going to buy some pistol made in freaking Turkey or something when budget beaters are available that are made here in the US.

Pistol:

Ruger 9E at Grab A Gun

2 pack of mags for $35.99

Magazine 2-pack

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like a good deal. I like my CC's to be around 20 oz. The 9E is up around 27, so I would use it as my bedroom gun.
The only Ruger that I ever owned was an LC9. I liked it very much but I sold it because the slide was way too stiff. How is the slide on the 9E?

Better to be over the hill than under it.
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rondrews
Looks like a good deal. I like my CC's to be around 20 oz. The 9E is up around 27, so I would use it as my bedroom gun.
The only Ruger that I ever owned was an LC9. I liked it very much but I sold it because the slide was way too stiff. How is the slide on the 9E?

I don't think it's any harder to rack the slide than my G17 or G19.

For carry, I would look at the SR9C compact version of this pistol. It's a little more money (about $370 with three mags at the same website as linked above) but is smaller, lighter, with 10-round flush-fit capacity.

This is definitely a nightstand gun for me, although it wouldn't be any harder to carry than a full-sized 1911. I plan on getting another one to keep locked up at my cabin, so I don't have to bring anything other than my carry gun up on the drive and still have a full-sized home defense option when up there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Goalie, Thanks for the advice. If your cabin is up near Hayward, you need a couple of self-defense weapons. Lot's of Crazies around here.
Semper Fi

Better to be over the hill than under it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There are no crazy people in hayward. Love that place as much as anywhere on earth. But i digress,

I have the SR9c and even thou they call it a compact, it could never function as a carry gun. Too big and heavy. Its the same size and weight as a glock 19 with mags being equal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by semi
There are no crazy people in hayward. Love that place as much as anywhere on earth. But i digress,

I have the SR9c and even thou they call it a compact, it could never function as a carry gun. Too big and heavy. Its the same size and weight as a glock 19 with mags being equal.

Wow! We really have gone soft.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You think that a Glock 19 is to big and heavy to function as a carry gun? Wow.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
goalie Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Heck, the 9E fits in my holster for a G19 (R Grizzle leather) and I carried it the other day. I would imagine the SR9C would be awesome for carrying. The ability to carry a 17 round magazine as your backup instead of an 8 or 9 like with the mini-9's is a huge plus to me as well.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,313 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,447
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.