T
Good info. Thank you!

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I really like my Kenetreks. I did not pay full price on them. I watch for their returns on ebay and have gotten a pair for myself and son for less than $200.

here is the link to Kenetrek on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/usr/kenetrek?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Although I was patient and it took a while for the style and size I wanted to come up and not bid beyond my range.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Oh dang...didn't know they did that. That's awesome.

I can be patient for the right price! smile

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I picked up a pair of these about a year ago from STP. Good solid, tough boot. I wear a heavy wool sock and have footbeds other that the stock ones that came with them.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alico-summit-hiking-boots-leather-for-men~p~61270/?filterString=mens-hiking-boots~d~360%2Falico~b~1143%2F

Picked up a pair of these also. The Summit's are a more heavy duty boot but these are great for general camping and light hiking use. Both are a well made boot.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/alico-backcountry-hiking-boots-leather-for-men~p~6289x/?filterString=mens-hiking-boots~d~360%2Falico~b~1143%2F

No brains, no headaches...
IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Ive been using La Sportivas for ~ 20 years for hunting and mountaineering.

I pretty much replaced every pair of them as I went with either a new pair of the same or a different model.

I really enjoyed the Makalus which were the most basic general mountaineering boot they made but now im using some Nepal gore Tex ones.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Robster
Although I was patient and it took a while for the style and size I wanted to come up and not bid beyond my range.

I'm gonna guess those boots from that source are as-is with no warranty?

My worry there is the waterproof membrane. A pair of leaky boots would suck.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
14 day money back warranty. Long enough to lace em up and stand in a puddle I suppose. They are a great company though, I would expect they would help you out any way that they can.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
lol, good point on time enough to stand in a puddle. smile

A friend of mine has had the Mountain Extreme's for hunting and had a waterproofing issue. They did a great job of making it right for him (he bought them new, though).

My big clown feet may help me get a buy from them on ebay...hopefully the competition is less with the bigger sizes. I can hope, anyway.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just to share the info, Kenetrek told me they give 30 days to return boots bought from them on ebay.

After that, they'll repair them as needed. It'll just cost you.

If the purchase price is low enough, though, it may be worth it.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Good luck, let me know how you make out?

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Will do. I'm thinking for the right price, I can send them for a repair and still be ahead of the game.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I tried and tried to love Kenetreks butthey just didnt fit me right.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I was watching a pair of Hardscrabbles on the Kenetrek ebay account, but they got bid up to $230+, and I wasn't going that far on used boots.

I did wind up ordering a new pair of Lowa Camino GTX Flex boots. Reviews I've read on REI's site, Rokslide, Backcountry.com, and a few other places are uniformly quite good, including some that came from elk hunters, including use with some moderate pack weight (50lb range), as well as foot protection in rocky terrain, as well.

Seemed like everything I wanted, so I'm gonna give 'em a whirl. There is a return policy for them, so if they don't fit properly or I don't like them, I can send 'em back and be refunded, so I figured it was worth a try.

We shall see.....

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My suggestion is to buy great boots that fit and are well made. Take care of them. Dry them the right way. Retreat the leather with the right product. Boots are not the place to go for cheap.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tddeangelo

I did wind up ordering a new pair of Lowa Camino GTX Flex boots. Reviews I've read on REI's site, Rokslide, Backcountry.com, and a few other places are uniformly quite good, including some that came from elk hunters, including use with some moderate pack weight (50lb range), as well as foot protection in rocky terrain, as well.

Seemed like everything I wanted, so I'm gonna give 'em a whirl. There is a return policy for them, so if they don't fit properly or I don't like them, I can send 'em back and be refunded, so I figured it was worth a try.

We shall see.....

I have the Lowa Caminos too, and like 'em quite a bit. I found them quite a bit more comfortable than the Lowa Tibets.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just got them and laced them up.

First impressions are pretty good.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Just an update....

I covered about 9 miles of terrain on Saturday (opener for turkeys in PA). Probably 3-4 miles of it was on pretty rocky terrain. Glacial rock deposits...some was 4-pt to scramble over rock piles the trail crossed, most was just walking on rocks that ranged in size from gravel to boulder.

The Lowas did great. I really like them a lot after giving them a bit of a workout. Between that and a couple turkey scouting trips, I've got maybe 25-30 miles on them and they feel great and the soles are firm/stiff enough to give some protection from protrusions on the rocks.

Overall, very pleased with the boots. Just figured I'd put in the impressions after using them for their intended purpose.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boots are not the place to go for cheap.

I don't mind paying a bit for good boots, but getting boots that fit are a problem for me. How much size flexibility is there in buying the higher dollar boots. I have big feet, currently wearing size 13, but most if not all just go to full sizes after about 11. Most size 13 boots are too short, and wide for me, 14's I just slide around in, even the lace up boots. I haven't had a boot that really fit in years. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Lowa and Kenetrek both go to 15's, I think...?

I think Asolo tops out at 13.

But you're right....a lot of them don't make bigger sizes, and often they are narrow for the size, too (or so I've felt when trying on boots).

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

620 members (12344mag, 260Remguy, 257 mag, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 72 invisible), 2,134 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.