-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The "but" being that it is missing the saddle ring, only the holes remain, and it has a Pachmayr low-swing top mount installed. I'm sure that it was just an old gun when the top mount was installed, a very nice old gun, but just an old gun never the less. Other than the missing saddle ring and the non-factory d&t holes, it is among the top 25 1899Fs that I've ever seen.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think Western Gun Parts sells a repro with the staple but it's a bugger to try to peen the inside of it after it's fitted.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Wisners used to have the ring and staple,not sure if they still do.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
No reproduction correct rings or staples have been available for a few years...I've looked. frown

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, would you kick me a PM if that saddle ring is somewhere within my driving range. I already have one in 303, but that might be an upgrade if it has a lot of blue. My 303 is gray, but it isn't d&t.

Need to get together for thai again sometime. No good thai food near me, been in withdrawal the last few years. grin

Last edited by Calhoun; 03/23/17.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I got mine out of a place called K&E gun parts in Saskatoon but I'm pretty sure they sold out to.

You might try them Rick.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Maybe this is a dumb question, but are the staples from other makes that for off of what Savage used? If the side mount was cleanly drilled I'd just thread in some blanks and forget about it. Only a 99 guy would ever know the difference.

Last edited by S99VG; 03/23/17.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Remguy , I have an F Saddle Ring Carbine as well,missing both the ring and staple, but the staple was shaved off smooth with the side of the reciever like you'd shave your wiskers. I have been led to believe that the best way to punch out the cut off legs of each side of the staple is to centerpunch them and carefully drill out their centers to relieve pressure and drive them into the inside of the reciever. I don't want to drill too large of a hole, so if you have a drill would you tell me how large the holes are on yours? Thanx, Malcolm.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Malcolm, the staple holes aren't threaded, shouldn't need to be drilled out, just punched through.

24 hour sarcastic S.O.B.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Malcolm
Remguy , I have an F Saddle Ring Carbine as well,missing both the ring and staple, but the staple was shaved off smooth with the side of the reciever like you'd shave your wiskers. I have been led to believe that the best way to punch out the cut off legs of each side of the staple is to centerpunch them and carefully drill out their centers to relieve pressure and drive them into the inside of the reciever. I don't want to drill too large of a hole, so if you have a drill would you tell me how large the holes are on yours? Thanx, Malcolm.

I don't own the rifle, it was in the Gun Library at Cabela's in LaVista, NE, yesterday (03/23/17). I was making my weekly pass-through of their used guns and ran into a Winchester 320 that I didn't need for $329, but when the Gun Librarian knocked it down to $249, it was an offer that I couldn't refuse.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx Remgye, I'll call them in the morning, on Westport Parkway , if that's the one - The Gun Library at Cabela's.

Also thanx mad dog. No thay can't be threaded. Drilling out the centers will make them easier to drive out though,and any attempt should be made to avoid deforming the side of the reciever.
I was planning on making my own on the lathe and bending to fit the two holes. I suppose I can measure whatever I bang out too but since I haven't done that yet, unknown information beforehand adds confidence.

Last edited by Malcolm; 03/24/17.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or you could just leave it off. Putting the staple and ring back on is a bit ironic as it seems like the first thing guys did "back in the day" was to remove them. Many of the saddle ring carbines I've seen, regardless of make, have the ring removed. They do make a lot of noise and I'm sure that's why they were taken off. I don't ride but it seems to me that the staple and ring would be a bit of a nuisance when using a scabbard. Maybe some of you guys who do ride can elucidate the function of the ring.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They used a single attachment sling that allowed the calvaryman or whoever to ride with the rifle dangling at his right side like the modern single attachment setup for M16's, etc. It had a large snap hook that fastened to the saddle ring. It was really cool but doesn't work well for lefties. I have two buried somewhere. No time the next few days to look for them. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, it has some wood putty as a repair behind the tang. Blended it in pretty good. Would be a fun shooter.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.