Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
so some guy out of state offers to buy an item I have for sale. Wants to pay via cashiers check and is willing for the check to clear before receipt of my item. item will pass to him via a third party. I know, its convoluted and having recently been burned I'm twice leery. your thoughts?

Those who would disrespect our flag have never been handed a folded one.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

When in the Course of human events......
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
As long as you the check clears, IE you have the cash in hand, and if there some kind of registration it's out of your name, what's the worry? I've bought stuff via Craigslist that way with no problems.

I've heard, though, that it can take a long time to be sure a cashiers check clears. A money order might be a lot faster if the value isn't over their limit. Others here will know more about that than me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would be leery also. It sounds like the scam that relies on you believing that just because the bank put the cash in your account the check must have cleared. It can take a while for the bank to find out that the check you deposited is no good but by then you have already sent the item.
The item will pass to him by third party? I think that means he is going to have some guy come pick it up so there is no address the cops can go to looking for the guy who gave you the bad check.
Tell him he can send the check to his friend who can then cash it and then pay you in cash. See how that goes over, bet you never hear from him again.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Paul, sounds like a good plan and pretty much how I responded to his last message.

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Coming from the other side: Several years ago I bought a boat from a guy out of state. He was pretty worried about a scam and I can't blame him. It would be several weeks before I could get over there and I needed him to hold it. Luckily I have a sister very close to him. I sent her the money and she went over and handed him green cash. Once he had the money, he was very nice about it. He even delivered it to my sister's house for me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sounds like a scam. The "bring cash from a friend" is the best solution. This guy isn't out on a boat somewhere and all tied up and his cell phone doesn't work and he cannot take calls over the ship to shore is he?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As long as you the check clears, IE you have the cash in hand

One can have cash in hand and there may still be issues with actual clearance.

Go the money order route and get cash in hand.

1Minute
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by m1rifleman
so some guy out of state offers to buy an item I have for sale. Wants to pay via cashiers check and is willing for the check to clear before receipt of my item. item will pass to him via a third party. I know, its convoluted and having recently been burned I'm twice leery. your thoughts?
IF you agree - get the check and make a phone call to the issuing bank and get them to verify it's legit..

BTDT, in the car biz....

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bank of Nigeria? I have heard of forged checks that even banks have a hard time detecting for a long time. The cash in hand is often a cortesy from your bank as they already have other funds of yours. Have his friend bring green money, and look it over carefully, like getting one of those special pens, and look up how to detect counterfeit.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Has every hallmark of a SCAM.

-out of town purchaser who will never be seen
-Cashiers checks (are counterfeited daily)
-third party to pick up item

Google these and see how many good folks have seperated from their money AND THEIR ITEM.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Take the check to his bank and cash it.

Geeshh what would you guys do without me?? wink

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And whatever you do, DO NOT forward any portion of that check to the third party or to the buyer for any reason. If somethimg like that comes up in conversation, that is a very well known scam, and the check will subsequently bounce even after clearing through the bank via Reg E. I'd also suggest doing your best to check out the buyer to see if there are any obvious inconsistencies. Most scammers will not take the time to cover their tracks very well. If you have any doubts, cash in hand.

Good luck,
Craig

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
This is a well known scam that defrauds folks of hundreds of millions of dollars every year.

Only use a po money order and cash it at the post office...they counterfeit those too.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by byc
Take the check to his bank and cash it.

Geeshh what would you guys do without me?? wink

Exactly. No one will give you a straight answer as to when a check has "cleared".

abusus non tollit usum
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For $10,000, you can set up a bank in some African countries. So all the codes on the cashier's check jibe with the system. Your bank will cash the check, you hand off the property, and later your bank comes back on you to get their money back.

My son had a mortgage brokerage and a scammer nearly took him with a similar scam.

100% sure it is a scam. Run, do not walk away.

Last edited by denton; 03/23/17.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Scam.

A very common one too.

Walk away.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Tell him you will hold it for your bank to send it for collection. In other words it's held until your bank confirms receipt of the funds. I wouldnt do a gun that way w/o the 3rd party being a ffl or do a item that must b e titled such as a vehicle or boat but general merchandise you should be ok.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
SCAM...

M
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
confirms my suspicions.thanks all.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
His friend is coming to pick it up, tell him to give friend cash! That way you won't have to deal with him anymore! Scam

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
629 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 56 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.