Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm glad that the USDA admitted what happened. I might be cynical, but it would have been my expectation that they'd never admit the mistake.

Actually, any incident of collateral damage has written reports that detail the incident, the location and the cause of it.

The report should be available from the regional USDA APHIS office that operates in that area.

Funny how they don't cite any USDA APHIS sources. Or provide any verification that is easily obtainable from the USDA.

The USDA and BLM are both agencies within the Interior Dept.

I believe the US Department of Agriculture is an independent cabinet level agency.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by atse
The capsules themselves are only a couple dollars. The spring loaded guns may be around $20, and can be reused for years. They are an excellent way of removing trap shy, call shy coyotes that are killing livestock. But they are not a tool to be used just any where. Around urban areas,other methods need to be used. They cannot be set on private land without a signed landowner agreement, and agreements have to be signed with blm and forest service offices if used on federal grazing land as well. Some fed land is off limits to their use as well.

You must be in the business. smile

You actually know what your talking about.

In all the areas I worked, USDA had an MOU with USFS and BLM where agriculture was conducted.

We had written contracts with each landowner as well, and used only the methods where we had written permission from the rancher.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 257wby
Originally Posted by kingston
I'm glad that the USDA admitted what happened. I might be cynical, but it would have been my expectation that they'd never admit the mistake.

Actually, any incident of collateral damage has written reports that detail the incident, the location and the cause of it.

The report should be available from the regional USDA APHIS office that operates in that area.

Funny how they don't cite any USDA APHIS sources. Or provide any verification that is easily obtainable from the USDA.

The USDA and BLM are both agencies within the Interior Dept.

I believe the US Department of Agriculture is an independent cabinet level agency.

yes, you're right on that. USDA works within the Interior Dept. in some land issues, mostly on agriculture areas with an MOU.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
We are in TOTAL agreement, Barry.
When I saw the "no signs" part, I immediately thought BS.
However, if true - someone's gonna PAY!
And I'm not real sure about a 14 year old not being able to read - curiosity, and a lack of comprehension, I would think.
That said, I'd NEVER set one that close to a populated area.
I set my signs religiously, too. I DON'T want to hurt anyone!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by atse
The capsules themselves are only a couple dollars. The spring loaded guns may be around $20, and can be reused for years. They are an excellent way of removing trap shy, call shy coyotes that are killing livestock. But they are not a tool to be used just any where. Around urban areas,other methods need to be used. They cannot be set on private land without a signed landowner agreement, and agreements have to be signed with blm and forest service offices if used on federal grazing land as well. Some fed land is off limits to their use as well.

You must be in the business. smile

You actually know what your talking about.

In all the areas I worked, USDA had an MOU with USFS and BLM where agriculture was conducted.

We had written contracts with each landowner as well, and used only the methods where we had written permission from the rancher.
You are correct.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wondering if there was any tampering with signs or location of trap by greenies. Media stories are definitely half lies so far.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 86thecat
Wondering if there was any tampering with signs or location of trap by greenies. Media stories are definitely half lies so far.

If the signs were missing, I would feel safe in saying they were taken from the area before the sheriff and press was called.

Not that THAT liberal rag wouldn't lie about it, if it furthered their agenda.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Animal damage control folks are people too. Some are lazy, feel safe in their endeavors, and do not always follow procedure. Yes, someone (agency) will pay.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Animal damage control folks are people too. Some are lazy, feel safe in their endeavors, and do not always follow procedure. Yes, someone (agency) will pay.

They can and do make mistakes. But the department takes the use of M44's VERY seriously.

I could see a mistake as a cause before negligence or disregard of the rules and policies in place.

One thing of interest is that overall, use of M44's in some USDA districts have increased because getting qualified personnel that know enough to be effective trapping or snaring coyotes is becoming increasingly hard to do.

Many times a pretty inexperienced guy is taught to use M44's because they are ineffective at trapping.

I knew one dumbazz trapper that went nearly a year without catching a coyote in a trap set. He sure knew how to set those M44's though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 86thecat

If the signs were missing, I would feel safe in saying they were taken from the area before the sheriff and press was called.

Not that THAT liberal rag wouldn't lie about it, if it furthered their agenda.

Not familiar with the M-44's. However, these ^^^^^ lines of reasoning would be plausible from several perspectives...

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mark shubert
IF no signs were posted - the applicator is in a world of "stink".

I'm betting the set was made according to procedure.

I'm sure not falling for anything that newspaper reports. They lost me with the first article when they said the "explosion from the M44 knocked the boy backwards and killed the dog, and covered them both with cyanide powder..."

Not only have M44's been a target of bunny huggers for years... and the liberal media, but trapping, and even shooting coyotes have been targets.

They would like nothing better than to see and end to ALL hunting.

Yep, and never mind that just being coated wtih the powder would do nothing, IIRC, it has to mix with liquid to form the deadly gas..

Exploding... thats the first clue that the article writer hasn't a damn clue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 1minute

They can and do make mistakes. But the department takes the use of M44's VERY seriously.

I could see a mistake as a cause before negligence or disregard of the rules and policies in place.

One thing of interest is that overall, use of M44's in some USDA districts have increased because getting qualified personnel that know enough to be effective trapping or snaring coyotes is becoming increasingly hard to do.

Many times a pretty inexperienced guy is taught to use M44's because they are ineffective at trapping.

I knew one dumbazz trapper that went nearly a year without catching a coyote in a trap set. He sure knew how to set those M44's though.

Good lord... I'm a trapping dummy and can still catch coyotes in #3 offsets....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 2500HD, 007FJ, 61 invisible), 2,060 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.