Hop To
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by mohick
I wouldn't touch the disease ridden, $hit piles when they are dead let alone alive, one ever bites you, you might just as well put the gun to your head, be quicker than a lingering death, from the $hit those disease ridden vermin carry!!!

+1

See my earlier post about hogs eating hog carcasses. I knew they carried diseases, so we always wore rubber gloves when cleaning them.

After seeing evidence of hog canabilism, it sorta quenched my appetite for feral hogs as table fare.

Some will disagree and that's OK.

But, if they saw the trail cam footage I saw... shocked

DF

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by hanco
There are guys that will get in there and get them by the hind legs. Not me!

I never got in one but in small enough ones we've sure grabbed and cut many a boar to release...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I wouldn't touch the disease ridden, $hit piles when they are dead let alone alive, one ever bites you, you might just as well put the gun to your head, be quicker than a lingering death, from the $hit those disease ridden vermin carry!!!

+1

See my earlier post about hogs eating hog carcasses. I knew they carried diseases, so we always wore rubber gloves when cleaning them.

After seeing evidence of hog canabilism, it sorta quenched my appetite for feral hogs as table fare.

Some will disagree and that's OK.

But, if they saw the trail cam footage I saw... shocked

DF

I've come upon where they have eaten a deer we are trailing. They eat gut piles all the time. I've eaten wild pigs since a youth, and its never bothered me one bit. YMMV as we all say.

Domestic hogs will eat whatever gets in the pen too, FWIW. Chickens beware for sure. And they hate snakes...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Well, I was bitten, most of the tip of one thumb and nail off many years ago. Had to run rabies shots just in case, as after the fact I managed to shoot that one in the head with my 44, after he bit me while we were trying to tie him up.

I never got any kind of disease, certainly not one bad enough to be foul mouthed either. Although I can see folks getting a disease enough to be foul mouthed and just slobber on.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Plus, the nasty bastrds got fleas all over them. Then the damn fleas get on you. I didn't want to touch'em if I could help it. They've got to be the dirtiest animals I've ever touched.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hmm, your deer don't have lice, fleas and ticks?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It's fun to kill pigs even if they are in a barrel. We don't eat them, damn sure don't touch without gloves. Buzzards and coyotes have to make a living too!!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
It's fun to kill pigs even if they are in a barrel. We don't eat them, damn sure don't touch without gloves. Buzzards and coyotes have to make a living too!!

They all gotta eat, even other hogs.

I'll never quit killing'em.

Just won't eat'em.

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[Linked Image]

pork belly for home made bacon

[Linked Image]

mix with other game meat for smoked link sausage

[Linked Image]

which works well for my "Texas Barking Spider" beans.

[Linked Image]

smoke a ham!

BTW

anybody eat "yardbird"??

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Now, that looks real good...

It's just hard for me to get over the trail cam revelation, a bunch of hogs eating a 300# boar down to his ribs and spine over night.

But, the way you present your hog meat...

Well, it's definitely at odds with my mental image... smile

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have friends over quite often and haven't served anything except wild ferrel hog for 6-7 years. When asked what the meal is I call it free range organic pork. I haven't had anyone dislike it yet.

You just need to handle it properly, gloves and eye protection when you process. Otherwise its all good.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Docbill
I have friends over quite often and haven't served anything except wild ferrel hog for 6-7 years. When asked what the meal is I call it free range organic pork. I haven't had anyone dislike it yet.

It wouldn't be prudent to show'em my trail cam photos... shocked

Don't ask, don't tell... blush

laugh

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by geedubya
[Linked Image][/URL]

smoke a ham!

BTW

anybody eat "yardbird"??

ya!

GWB

Must have an awful big pipe to smoke a ham!

Dang, I need to get my feral hog hams & backstraps out of the deep freeze and cook them up. All from smaller, young-ish hogs and marinaded in cranberry juice.

And, yes, I have eaten yardbird. From my own yard. I like to think of yardbird as recycled ticks, roaches, spiders, worms, and bitty snakes transformed into tasty meat. I miss them nowadays, when the roaches start coming out. Kept my back yard bug-free, the grass de-thatched & fertilized. They were not "free range," but more like "free yard."

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have just used a wonderful aid in night time hog hunting. It is sold by Elusive Wildlife Technologies and is called BLIND SIDE-R. It is a motion activated green light powered by 4 D-cell batteries. Very simple (and inexpensive) to use. Just put the light and a camera watching a pile of bait. When you find out what time the hogs are coming just wait downwind and watch for the light. The light is not terribly bright but plenty bright enough for target identification and acquisition. With a proper scope you will be able to see your cross hairs and will know for sure it is a hog. Killed 3 out of 5 on my first try. A big sow and 2 yearlings. That was with 2 shots, the 2 smaller ones were standing side by side and the same bullet got both. Green light does not seem to excite them.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
no not even with a 75 grain swift scirroco, dropped a 180 or so pig on the spot. Nimrod's abound these days.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by jfruser

Not near as big as it takes to launch a good sized boar into near-earth orbit

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seymour hog reporting for duty

ya!

GWB

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by djones
if a pig is looking at me, i favor the 'between the nostrils' shot

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shoulder shot may mean you will have to track some.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by geedubya
Originally Posted by jfruser

Not near as big as it takes to launch a good sized boar into near-earth orbit

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seymour hog reporting for duty

ya!

GWB

laugh

You guys have way too much time on your hands... grin

Pretty cool, nonetheless... cool

DF

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
DF,

We do have a hoot!

I've been hunting with a core group of guys that are related by blood, marriage or chasin' tail, since 1999. This was the occasion where all the male members of three of my lease buddy's were at our deer camp for a "reunion" of sorts. One of the guys was an Army Ranger and Captain of an Artillary unit in Iraq. He still luvs blowing schitt up. So we had gallons of Tannerite. Skeet shooting, shooting 1 cup bottles of tannerite at 400 yds, bar-b-que and adult beverages and men/boy behaving badly! They brought the section of 16' inch pipe with a 3" square hole burned out of the base and made a plywood wad to cover the 2 lb. coffee can full of tannerite. The shot was at 200 yds off a sandbag on the bed-rail of a truck. What you don't see is that about a minute after sending the hoglet into near earth orbit, the guy who was an Army Ranger Captain is holstering his Springfield XD in 45 acp and leaves his finger on the trigger while he is holstering it. He shoots himself. Luckily its a hardball round and goes in about 3" above the nee cap and travels straight downward and exits just above the ankle. He starts hopping around yelling "I'm shot, I'm shot". We're giving him jazz till the blood starts squirting. So we grab him, apply a tourniquet, call 911 and drive him the 7 miles to the road to meet the ambulance. While moving my ATV out of the way, my camera gets run over and the lens crushed. The sandisk survived. Talk about a guy that was embarrassed. He did two tours in Iraq and comes back to Texas and shoot his own self. We'd never had a firearms related accident before.

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/26/17.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 65 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,731
Posts18,457,498
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.