Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by badger
No accent here, although everyone else I talk to seems to have one.........

Pretty much how it is for me.

Folk from Appalachia ain't got no accent.

Amen brother... we Virginians don't...its ever'body else...

by the way... "Earl" is Kentucky/Tennessee for Oil...

Virginia its Uhl....

southern accents are dependent on who settled what areas...

Old English, Scotland, Ireland and then whether the area had a lot of slaves or not....

I know the first time I was in far northern Maine up by Caribou, I could tell the way people spoke with a slight different accent than Southern WVa and SW Virginia.... but the sentence structure and ways of saying words was pretty much spot on...

both areas minus a lot of different ethic groups, passing thru after the original groups that settled there...

always traveled a lot.. when I was growing up, I could usually identify what states most southern folks were from, just by the way they would pronounce one or two words....

could always tell people from eastern PA by two words...

Beautiful and hour.... they would pronounce Beautiful, like people from New Jersey would.... b-u-Tee Full...kinda fast

and then they pronounce Hour like we did in Virginia.. Eye-Errr....

once in a while, my son loves for me to speak "southern" for some of his friends....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by persiandog
when I moved from NY to California , I had to put up with a lot of crap. I removed NY , NJ and CT from my resume now everyone is confused on what am I ?

I do sound like a nasty NY cab driver with an attitude/accent.

P.
That far of a move and still in a crappy state.. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wife and I both have that flat Midwestern accent, I am a natural and unaware mimic and will be speaking like whomever I am speaking with if I am not real careful. It has got me in trouble a time or two. frown frown

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I would be interested in which "accent" is the most easily understood by people who speak the other ones.

Can't remember where I heard this, but I recall the source was fairly reliable. Claim was that broadcasters all over the US like news readers from the PNW, because of their "neutral accent".

Can't figure why our local news radio chose to hire that gal with the pronounced Cal/Mex accent though....

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I certainly can't deny where I was raised.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't think so but I was in Vermont one time and a guy asked where I was from because he said that I have a strong accent.

I also had a woman from Ireland tell me that my "American accent" was very strong - more so than most Americans that she talks to.

My accent is probably some variation of a Philadelphia accent. I don't notice it but I am sure it is not pleasant to people from other regions. I think the New York (Long Island, Brooklyn, etc.) accents are horrible. I hope I don't sound as bad as that.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Grew up in SC low country. More than once been called a Geechee. Was asking a salesperson in Vail for help selecting ski gear because I didn't know much. He replied "Im sure! Where you are from they never get snow "
GreggH

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
Originally Posted by hanco
I'm from Texas, I sound like a damn hick from the sticks.

I suppose you fard (fired) your roffle (rifle) last tom (time) you shot a deer. I swear I need an interpreter to watch some hunting shows.

Rong, its 'ryfull' and 'lastime', doncha kno nuthin.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/23/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, for several reasons. Firs and maybe most important I am only 67 and haven't grown up yet. Second, I have live north to south and east to west and thus have been exposed to many of the accents in the US. Lastly I have spent most of the last 39 years in the Pacific NW where their is supposed to be no accent. News casters and radio hosts are often recruited from this part of the country because they have less local accent, or at leas that is what I have read.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
No but everyone else sure seems to. Seriously though I've been told I don't have that much of a accent. My biggest give away is I use some regional colloquialisms ( sp?) that mark me from the south and I tend to say Mam , Sir. and thank you .

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not me personally. But I have found that pretty much everybody outside a 100 miles from home does. You betcha, they talk funny past da county line, for sure.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
As a result of interaction with campfire members whom I trust, they being from various and sundry parts of this great nation, I have come to understand that I do, in fact, speak with an accent.

No one is more surprised than me.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hope I speak with an accent. Those that speak without an accent speak in a monotone. That would be boring. Of course I hope I don't have an accent that others can not understand. I grew up in the Midwest.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a neutral accent (sounds like a news reporter), but I can mimic people's talking and idioms pretty quickly.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I'm so vanilla white I can't even fake an accent. So I just speak Rocky Mountain..........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

I'm so vanilla white I can't even fake an accent. So I just speak Rocky Mountain..........

Casey
You and John Denver grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've been told that I sound like I come from Bahstaan.

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Born and raised in orygun, so I have no accent! I was working in Marion North Carolina, when an older lady ask, ya'll ain't no damn Yankee, what are you?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Im a Yankee that speaks with Southern accent.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My college buddies tell me I have a terrible American accent.

Can't be, you guys are telling me people from the PNW don't have accents.... smile

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

404 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,921 guests, and 1,058 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,602
Posts18,454,671
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.