Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
in the fact as to the WHY many people who wish to shoot farther than 100 yards wish to make it difficult as if by magic they don't know the voodoo words to make it happen! The real challenge as a matter of fact is that of finding a place to shoot for the wannabe long shooters! The guys that live west of the Big River usually don't have this problem but east of the Big Muddy...another story! Marksmanship comes down basically to just a few things:

1. Position

2. Sight Alignment

3. Trigger Control

4. Follow through

5. Mental attitude

For the previous 60 years I've taught marksmanship to many people...a few have gone on to be able to bring home a little junk from shooting matches. Most all of these guys were either competing in Service Rifle events and a few eventually changed over to the NRA Match Rifle category. Teaching iron sights and scopes are basically two different ballgames but the same rules apply to both.

An accurate rifle with proven ammo is a must and generally the term 'proven ammo' means a handload that has been tested to give the best accuracy possible. Factory ammo can be accurate but as a general rule each rifle will perform best with a specific load. Whether or not someone wishes to spend $4000.00 for an accurate rifle is up to the individual but the fact remains that $$$$$ won't automatically make a consistently accurate shooter at the longer distances! It takes a lot of shooting and paying attention to detail.

In five days I'll be 77 years old and starting as a young man of 18 I was fortunate to have had the best marksmanship instructors in the world; the Service Rifle coaches at the USAAMU at Ft. Benning, Georgia! I'm typing this little piece because if possible it's my desire to give something back to any younger folks that might find it useful. I don't need any atta boys or thank yous from anyone. I've won lots of junk over the years I competed; beat some of the best and had my azz beaten quite regular as well! No matter how good you may think you are....there's always somebody that will beat your azz! You'll have good days and days...not so good! It's how you handle those 'not so good' days that's important! If you're serious about shooting...it becomes work. But like sweat....it can be very rewarding!

Being very fortunate I don't have to worry about a place to shoot. My 1000 yard firing line is right out the back door. Old habits are hard to break and by that I mean that I was taught to keep and accurate DATA BOOK! I record everything as per whatever day I'm shooting on. Zeros, wind, time of day, sun position, Barometric Pressure, temperature, starting zeros, finishing zero if different, and then I critique my shooting session...and I have been known to talk pretty badly about myself! Nothing pizzes me off more than to make a bad wind call on my first shot! No matter how much you shoot or how many years on the line....the wind is gonna beat you from time to time! Accept it...or take up bowling! Here's something to think about:

"WINNERS EXPECT IT.....LOSERS HOPE FOR IT!"

I fired seven rounds this afternoon with my 308 Winchester from 800 yards. Load was 47 grs. Varget using a Sierra 155 gr. Palma bullets with a F210 match primer.

[Linked Image]308 Winchester by Sharps Man, on Flickr

[Linked Image]Untitled by Sharps Man, on Flickr

Rifle is a Remington M700 with factory heavy barrel which I put into VS stock and bedded.

Last edited by Sharpsman; 03/20/17.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice, what scope are you running?

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
5.5x22x56MM NF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was going to say that it looked like a NF scope. Good shooting sharpsman.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good talk.

Wish I was better at note taking and would love some advice on data collecting from an old gunny.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
your shifter is on the wrong side....

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It takes solid equipment to learn, but it took me years to learn, due to simplicity of knee high wind, my mental game. Nerves would choke me. Once I finally figured that out, it was much better.

You have so much experience it would be nice to jot that down in notes/book form for the rest of us to be able to learn from!

It takes so much time to learn and once you "learn" it only means you are capable of understanding your mistakes... you continue to make mistakes.

Dry firing all positions was one of the things that finally helped us a LOT... ALL positions. (service rifle was the only thing we ever shot) Dry firing taught me repeatable methods so I was like a machine and it gave me the ability to learn that shooting a 200 at 600 with the service rifle should be a norm, and not a surprise...

Your note of expect to win vs hoping for it brings me to a quick story.. once I expected to win, I was middle of my 600 yard string out at Waco in the state championships... shooting SR but against all comers as it was not the SR champs... and I was clean( a clean had never been fired on that range at that point) and my scorekeepers cell phone rang... I stopped and told him to get it. Yep I was stupid, but I KNEW I had this one, I just kept correcting on the knobs as it changed while he babbled about keep shooting, finlally answered the call and said he'd call back...next shot was an X, and I stayed clean the whole string anyway. Beating Paul La Berge and David Tubb that day who finished 2nd and 3rd, with 197s and their bolt guns...

Mentally the above was not hurt by the fact that the day before was palma, and I still shooting my service rifle AR won the 800 and 900 yard lines outright, and just fell on my face for elevation at 1000... and finished 3rd overall there in the palma.... that bit of mental positive note sure helped....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
rost495

"and finished 3rd overall there in the palma"

Finishing third in the Palma event shooting the Service Rifle against bolt rifles is no big loss....especially if shooting the Mattel toy rifle!

Were you shooting the M14??

And David Tubb is a friggin machine! I shot many times with he and his Dad George! George was a helluva good guy; a wealth of shooting knowledge!

As for the saying of:

"WINNERS EXPECT IT.....LOSERS HOPE FOR IT"

that comes from my friend Billy Atkins who lives over in Georgia! Billy has probably won the Farr Trophy Match at Camp Perry more than anyone yet and was one helluva Service Rifle Coach and shooter in his day!

Last edited by Sharpsman; 03/20/17.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
AR15...

I miss the fact that George was so far north of us, and he passed before I ever really had the chance to talk to him more than just passing...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rost495
AR15...

I miss the fact that George was so far north of us, and he passed before I ever really had the chance to talk to him more than just passing...

George had invited me out to hunt coyote and a week later....he was gone!!

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That would have been one to remember.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks good, other than your scope being 45 degrees out of clock!

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had the pleasure of meeting George many years ago, and David numerous times. Our whitetail place is very close to David's place now.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I often wish I'd have taken a job years ago with Davids company... didn't have the desire to move that short of a distance and had relatives I was responsible for at the time as an only child....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Looks good, other than your scope being 45 degrees out of clock!

Camera lens distortion, look at the picture again.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I checked it and it was a bit off plumb! I was in a rush when I mounted this scope a bit back and I neglected to square the rifle and use my plumb bob to align!

The bolt is on THE RIGHT SIDE however...for me!! grin

Last edited by Sharpsman; 03/21/17.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a bit off and 45 degrees are not in the same ballpark... But then again shooting a severe cant in sitting I learned you can even adjust if the sights are not plumb...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
a bit off and 45 degrees are not in the same ballpark... But then again shooting a severe cant in sitting I learned you can even adjust if the sights are not plumb...

Shhhh

You're going to cause a meltdown on the board - everyone here "knows" you can't hit anything if your reticle isn't perfectly plumb with the bore.

David

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hell maybe thats why I suck and constantly miss....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
hell maybe thats why I suck and constantly miss....

laugh

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
679 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 75 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,439 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.