C
Enfield.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
No matter what, there is always room for a 1917 in my collection. Heavy as hell, but one of the best quality actions ever manufactured.

The original barrels were surprisingly accurate for a military rifle.

I personally wouldn't alter one, but if it's already been sporterized, you can build up any caliber on one.

The Savage will likely shoot well too. I bought one for use at the ranch for $200 a couple of years ago.

See if you can get them both for under $400.

"Supernatural divinities are the primitive's answer to why the sun goes down at night..."
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Neither.

^^^^^^^^^
What he said! Neither is too desirable, but either will kill a deer or elk.

Unfortunately, resale value (unless a real collector's rifle) is an iffy thing these days. The new breed of inexpensive (but good) value riles (e.g., Ruger American, etc.) are depressing the price of rifles in the used market.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Enfield
Savage won't gain value - just become an old, used, dime a dozen rifle.
Even a chopped Enfield won't lose any value. May not gain much since it's a sporter, but you won't lose to inflation either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing about the 1917's I owned is that none of them would shoot 150 grain bullets for crap. They didn't seem to show until you got to 180's.

But I read somewhere that at Perry with the 173 grain ammo (I think) the Enfield use to kick azz on the Springfield.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
If for hunting use and not resale, I'd go for the Savage.

I wouldn't be able to stand hauling around the weight of the 1917, and the extra expense of a drill and tap for scope mounting along with buying rings and bases would negate any savings of buying the less expensive rifle...not even considering the matter of a scope.

An older "Jap scope" - especially a 4x - would likely be quite serviceable, eliminating the need to buy a new one.

Accuracy of the 1917 would be a big question, while most Savage bolt actions are dependably accurate.

I would expect the trigger pull of the 1917 to be quite heavy, as it is for most WW2 military rifles. While the trigger on the Savage should be at least acceptable.

Overall, for a pure hunting gun, and for saving money, I'd definitely go for the Savage.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The ONLY dilemma I've ever had with a 30/06 is that I never complied a dozen at one time!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Unless it's a finished out sporter or you are wanting the action for a project I'd have to say if you just want a rifle to shoot and hunt with go Savage. I came to the conclusion that sporterizing old military rifles was a expensive way to a half azzed rifle. . To get one really nice was way more than just expensive ,It's ultra expensive . Heck just drilling and tapping will run $100 these days plus hassling with shipping the gun around. Cut and crown the barrel remove the sight ears so that you can see the scope etc. etc. oh and do the last two and a blue job is in order. Oh and then a nicer stock is called for even a semi inleted job will cost $100+ now you might have it close to a savage 110e but certainly no where near a really nice custom sporter. So a hundred here a hundred there and you might as well buy a new Montana or a clean pre 64 model 70. Savages are not that pretty but they are good solid hunting rifle as is. Leave the military rifle to the military buffs.

Last edited by bangeye; 03/28/17.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I too wouldn't spend much time looking at either one, but if you held a gun to my head I would go with the 1917, and grumble the whole way home.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
you probably got close to a split decision, either or, but the enfield having the cutdown stock without the rear sight ears being cut is interesting. They don't make enfields anymore.
I personally think a better rifle than the springfield.
My cutdown was acquired i think in the 30's, fourth generation now. Did have a cutdown stock, rear ears done away with etc.
In the 70's i took it to dave wolfe who sent it to various people, rust pits removed new high gloss finish, drilled and tapped, and i put a bishop stock on it. First real hi power i ever had other than a winchester 94. Eventually son who at the time was poor like me started using it. Never saw a deer complain.
Still have it, and i am sure it still works. Yeah, it's heavy but so what?
I have some military correct enfields, and they are not cheap anymore. As to that weight it was kind of an atvantage when you are trying to beat somebody over the head with it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugeman, 21, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 53 invisible), 3,337 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,294
Posts18,467,986
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.