Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
GTS9 Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Looking for a way to carry a 6" 629 all day in rough terrain. I have two ideas in mind: (1) a Diamond D Guides Choice Chest Holster and (2) a wide 2.5" duty belt which will be worn over my pants with an appropriate holster such as a Simply Rugged Cattleman.
I'm concerned with overall comfort mainly.
My main concern about the chest holster is that the strap will dig it's way into my shoulder and cause discomfort. My main concerns about a large belt is that it might work my pants down (I suppose a pair of suspenders could solve that, though) or that it might rub my bony hips raw (I'm 6'2" but still very skinny and small framed, which means my hip bones stick out. They've been rubbed awfully raw by the end of the day by some waist straps on certain back packs, so it's something I always have in mind.)

I'd like to hear from people that have used either or both forms of carry and have opinions on their plusses and negatives, and perhaps also hear particular problems they've caused them.

Catch you later,
GTS9

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My personal experience. Lots of walking and climbing would call for a chest rig.
Laying around and short hikes I would take belt holster.

Did the Grand Canyon 3 weeks ago Kaibab down and Bright Angel up. Used a kydex belt holster for my Glock 22 and a light weight fishing shirt over it because I didn't want to show off for the tourists and rangers. First day was fine, second day it was rubbing bad. Next time it will be my chest holster with something draped over it to remain sterile.

Last edited by krupp; 03/23/17.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For what you've laid out, take a look at Hill People Gear. I've heard good things about their setup. This might be a better route for you since you're concerned about the hip bones.

I do like the Simply Rugged sourdough pancake with a 1.75" wilderness tactical belt for similar purposes. I like the sourdough pancake because it keeps the guns tighter against the waist and isn't flopping around and it also provides a little more coverage for the pistol.

Oh, and welcome to the campfire!

Last edited by RyanTX; 03/23/17.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
As mentioned, HPG kit bag. I've not carried a 6" N-frame in it but have spent a lot of time with a G20 and a Governor. For a heavy gun and a lot of walking, the weight on one hip eventually catches up to you...you can do it, but centered on the chest is just more comfortable to me. The extra pockets on the kit bag are useful as well.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Take a look at one of these, a lot of our deputies are going to them. They are toting some 25-30 lbs around their waists for 12 hours a day.

http://www.galls.com/high-speed-gear-slim-sure-grip-padded-belt?PMWTNO=000000000002120&PMSRCH=

Also if using a duty type belt this could work, our city police use them.

http://www.galls.com/blackhawk-ergonomic-duty-belt-harness?PMWTNO=000000000002120&PMSRCH=

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
HPG kit bag ain't gonna cut it on a 6" N-Frame.

The belt T Lee posted (first one) would be a good bet if you have keepers to go with it.

I like a duty belt because you can carry rounds on it and a dump pouch for empties.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm 6'1"/175 and slim...and having been a LEO the LAST thing I would want to be walking the hills with is a 2.5" duty belt...

Bought one of these a couple of years ago to carry a 6" 57 while out hunting. It can be carried as a bandolier or chest holster. Was so pleased with it I bought four more that cover almost every gun I own...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bandolier-Shoulder-Holster-for-6-Revolver-Fits-RUGER-S-W-COLT-/390549720973?hash=item5aee93cf8d:g:jTIAAMXQQtNR0xf4

For extra padding on the shoulder strap I took a Velcro strap pad off of one of my shooting bags...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I've used one of these for a long time https://www.pistolpackaging.com/Bandito_Shoulder_Belt_p/bsb.htm

Then I would use the shoulder part and have a holster made for what ever gun and attach it to the shoulder part. Worked pretty well.

I've misplaced that system and now I use the Diamond D Guides choice. You can change holsters on that, but I have a couple of them any way. Both will serve you well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Life is but the memories we've created.....Sully Erna
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I carry a PC 629 V-Comp (5"+comp) in an El Paso Tanker.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Add me to the Hill People Gear list. Chest carry has it over belt carry every day. In addition to overall comfort, the HPG Kit bags allow easy access to many other items you would normally want.

The only way I am hiking and not carrying my handgun in the HPG bag is if my primary reason for being out is photographic pursuits and my DSLR is on my chest in my Cotton Carrier. In that case my handgun will be on my belt in a Simply Rugged Sourdough. They are the only holsters I carry out in the field anymore.

Simply Rugged also makes a tanker system for transforming their holsters with three belt slots into a chest rig. It is very effective.

Last edited by PastorDan; 03/23/17.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Anybody carrying a 5 1/2" Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in a HPG Kit Bag? Thinking about one for this year's deer hunt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chest rig 100%. Chest rig is considerably more comfortable and versatile.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 4.62" SBH that I carry in a Diamond D Guides choice, I much prefer that over a belted holster.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
A guides choice for my Bisley 45LC 5.5. although I often carry it with the shoulder strap set long so it rides lower like a where a bandooler would. The adjust-ability is one of the features I like. No matter the pack I have on or the clothing I can adjust the carry position to be comfortable.

Even with a good rig a 629 is still a chunk of iron, loosing some weight helps a lot. maybe long distance carry would be a good excuse to look at a Glock 20, that's something like 30oz for the glock compared to 45oz for the smith.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Thanks for reposting that...I'm not on my home computer and this system doesn't work as well...

Also another vote for HPG. I tried a friend's RECON Bag and just ordered a Runners Bag in black...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I carry a 6.5" SBH 454 in a a Diamond D guide holster and couldn't be happier with the set up. Ive also got a gunfighters inc Kenai chest rig for my glock 20 and one for a glock 19 and they are awesome as well.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Very similar to what RJM uses, I made a chest carry rig out of a windblocker-type fleece camo beanie. It conforms to your body because it is stretchy and it is super light.

I really like that the hardware can be totally protected under a coat and you can drive and sleep with it on.

Chest rigs are incredibly simple things when reduced to their bare essentials. They are trivial to DIY. I would not use anything else, ever again.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
807 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 12308300, 80 invisible), 3,193 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,714
Posts18,400,344
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.