Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Only 30 minutes? I can't count the cumulative hours I've spent waiting for the Dachshund or Lab to quit running and come back. The Weasel was worse- and took longer!

I can't wait to get doggy again!!! smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las
That's a fine looking dog! Waiting for her family to come back, and wary of substitutes...

Bastids!

This^^^^.

Now las, by dayom, youre a dog man.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/23/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
Only 30 minutes? I can't count the cumulative hours I've spent waiting for the Dachshund or Lab to quit running and come back. The Weasel was worse- and took longer!

I can't wait to get doggy again!!! smile

Damned wiener dog is where I learned the possum trick. POS Huskie is where I learned to be careful when you snatch 'em by the scruff!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Well, maybe, I'm a bit doggy.. Generally they are about a half step ahead of me. At that, I read them better than I do people. Not to be confused with people who actually understand and train them.

After 7 years here, I haven't a clue to most of the neighbor's (within 3 blocks) names (I've been introduced) here in Kotz, but I know their dogs' names. And most (not one, tho) of them have offered to let me walk their dogs on leash. Some off leash out of town.

Except for Rex, I don't.

No need to clutter my old brain with extraneous information like people's names...I can live with that. smile

A couple months ago I was dropping my wife off at the air terminal, and there was this big Lab running around inside- scaring some people (Some Eskimos fear dogs- having experience only with "sled-dogs", usually kept chained and not well acclimated to strangers, i.e. defensive of their space - the length of their chains.)

"Rex- come with me". We went 4 blocks home, Rex at heel, uncommanded. He is my next door neighbor's dog, and we have an understanding. We adore each other. He's a smart bugger too- and vastly undertrained/appreciated.

You know how confined dogs will resist re-confinement? Sometimes when Rex is loose unsupervised, I'll go over , unkink his chain, and call him over. He ill think about it for a few seconds, then slink over, head down, and let me put his collar back on. That's a DOG! He is of configuration that collars short of a chain collar, doesn't fit well... so he slips it often.

He growled at me the first time I met him. 3 milk bones later we were fast buddies. He got to the point that when my Lab (now deceased) stole his bones, he wouldn't object. He would just look at me and grumph- knowing I'd get it back for him.

One day when my wife was taking our Lab out for a walk, she had the dog on leash, doors opened, when she went back for her gloves or scarf or something. She started to yell at Tripper Lab for pointing the milk bone box, when she realized the leash was going out the doors.

I have no idea how Rex knew where the milk bone box was kept...... smile

If Cris ever wants to let him go.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dog looks good natured and that breed usually friendly, how about another dog in the back of the truck? Bring the dog out of the truck, then put him back in the bed, see if the stray will follow.

Last edited by Barkoff; 03/23/17.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Thats a good idea. Thanks.

Too bad DeFlave (is that French) couldnt get one.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/23/17.

I Dindo Nuffin
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hats off to a fellow dog lover, you did good!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
O when I read the heading thought it was about my grandsons track coach. Sorry carry on.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Same thing happened to me. Dog didn't know whether to follow the truck, run uphill or down, just confused. Skinny as heck. Fed him and got his photo. Posted it on Craigslist lost and found and maybe Facebook. My wife went on the local website for the shelters and found a photo posted of a lost dog that matched. We got ahold of them thru the shelter and told them approx where it was. They went up there and found him and posted it on Facebook.

Social media is a fantastic tool since so many people are active on it.

LOL
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Good looking dog, JagTX.

Best of luck with this.

Retired cat herder.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll bet if you can get close to it, you could give it a Sit command and slip a rope leash over it's head. I see a lot of dogs that are lost and confused until they have a leash on. It seems to give them a lot more confidence if they have a rope around their neck.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Keep trying. My best dog is out of a feral mama. It took some time for my wife to win over mama but she did. Mama got a home and we got one of her pups, Izzie. Great dogs all around. Rescue that yellow dog and you'll have a really loving dedicated loyal dog.

Cast

I have a short attention spa
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I think you might have a new dawg there Jag.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 12344mag
I think you might have a new dawg there Jag.

And a very grateful one who knows who saved his life.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las
Well, maybe, I'm a bit doggy.. Generally they are about a half step ahead of me. At that, I read them better than I do people. Not to be confused with people who actually understand and train them.

After 7 years here, I haven't a clue to most of the neighbor's (within 3 blocks) names (I've been introduced) here in Kotz, but I know their dogs' names. And most (not one, tho) of them have offered to let me walk their dogs on leash. Some off leash out of town.

Except for Rex, I don't.

No need to clutter my old brain with extraneous information like people's names...I can live with that. smile

A couple months ago I was dropping my wife off at the air terminal, and there was this big Lab running around inside- scaring some people (Some Eskimos fear dogs- having experience only with "sled-dogs", usually kept chained and not well acclimated to strangers, i.e. defensive of their space - the length of their chains.)

"Rex- come with me". We went 4 blocks home, Rex at heel, uncommanded. He is my next door neighbor's dog, and we have an understanding. We adore each other. He's a smart bugger too- and vastly undertrained/appreciated.

You know how confined dogs will resist re-confinement? Sometimes when Rex is loose unsupervised, I'll go over , unkink his chain, and call him over. He ill think about it for a few seconds, then slink over, head down, and let me put his collar back on. That's a DOG! He is of configuration that collars short of a chain collar, doesn't fit well... so he slips it often.

He growled at me the first time I met him. 3 milk bones later we were fast buddies. He got to the point that when my Lab (now deceased) stole his bones, he wouldn't object. He would just look at me and grumph- knowing I'd get it back for him.

One day when my wife was taking our Lab out for a walk, she had the dog on leash, doors opened, when she went back for her gloves or scarf or something. She started to yell at Tripper Lab for pointing the milk bone box, when she realized the leash was going out the doors.

I have no idea how Rex knew where the milk bone box was kept...... smile

If Cris ever wants to let him go.....

Ha. Great story, las.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Kenlguy
I'll bet if you can get close to it, you could give it a Sit command and slip a rope leash over it's head. I see a lot of dogs that are lost and confused until they have a leash on. It seems to give them a lot more confidence if they have a rope around their neck.

Good idea, and true.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kinda' confused here,....is this dog now in and under somebody's care,....or still out in the desert on it's own ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Do you know anyone with a stock/horse trailer?

They are low to the ground, easy to get into.

I wonder if she might step into the back of one of those to get food and water.

You could tie a lariat rope to the door and yank it shut from in front of the trailer. Might be far enough away so that she would not be skittish getting in the back to eat.

Then you could latch the gate and take her to town.

Just a thought.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Borrow a large have a heart type trap, local humane society or pound or shelter or vets probably has several. Bait it, drive off and she will go in and get caught

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A dog has never hauled ass, never to be seen again until hunters found him in the middle of nowhere while hunting.

Dave

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
657 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 12344mag, 1234, 73 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,668
Posts18,399,405
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.