-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I'm careful with diction, I sound completely midwestern or non-regional even though I'm from far west Texas. El Paso has had a large military presence for many years and is a kind of melting pot for regional accents. On the other hand, it may depend on what part of the area you frequent and who you hang with, even if you live there.

My ex brother-in-law grew up in the same neighborhood where I did, but speaks with an odd and choppy cadence I only became aware of one day when I heard him speaking from the other end of the house. I couldn't hear anything well enough to understand and it sounded like someone speaking Spanish. That was kind of illuminating.

Now you fellows up in Montana...believe it or not, you have an accent, but it is so danged subtle that I suspect most folks in other parts of the country may not even notice it. I had a very good friend in the Navy who was from Billings and during the time we worked together I heard him say plenty. After the Navy I went back to Texas for a number of years, then one summer I migrated to Montana for a while. I was surprised when I listened to people talk because I kept hearing the same *oh-so-subtle* accent. It is SO subtle I could never describe it, but I recognize it when I hear it.

There's a subtle California accent too, but it's easier to pick up on than that Montana accent.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Ya shure, you betcha...
Oh, yahhh, ya think??

Oof Da. grin When I used to work my Grandfathers farm as a kid in the summer time, I would pick up my accent real quick. Ole and Lena sure had strong accents dontjaknow! laugh

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by littlecmonkey
Try going moose hunting in Newfoundland and understanding some of them! I didn't have a hard time, but had a buddy that couldn't decipher a word.

Ain't that the truth!? I found the Newfies hard to understand at first but after a while I was able to follow what I would describe as a "cadence" to their speech. Great people.

My wife's college friends had a hard time understanding me sometimes. Most of them were from downstate and I speak a sort of local gibberish I call "Hamdenese". My Mother is from Hamden, NY and they had words and phrases around there that I was surprised to find aren't normal anywhere else.

Last edited by River_Ridge; 03/23/17.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
i don't hear oil pronounced earl in Ky that much truthfully we have a friend from Ohio that likes to crack on southern accents.I tend to let her go for a while and ask her to say oil. She pronounces it with a hard E sound in the middle ,sort of a oi-E-il I just ask how the he-- do you get 3 syllables out of a simple 3 letter word . It's oil not o-ei-ei-oil.

The plant I use to work at had a engineer that came from Boston. He liked to hit on hit on the local habit of ending words with a inappropriate r sound for example winder for window. I would just reply that it was southerns way of maintaining balance in the universe because people from Boston left all the orphaned R's floating around our there by pronouncing car as caa, and bar as baa.

Actually I think that the Appalachian area of Ky , WV and parts of N Tn have a much harder and distinct accent than a true softer southern accent as from Georgia , and softer yet Virginia. Get down into Louisiana and parts of southern Mississippi where the French influence is present and I can't tell you what the he-- those guys are talking about.

Last edited by bangeye; 03/23/17.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I was raised on the West coast but I've spent the last fifty years in middle America. I don't think I have much of an accent but if I do it's plain vanilla, suburban bland. But lots of other people do have accents though. grin

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have no accent GI. Sometime peopre raff at way I tark, but they just being sirry. You bic?

I rearn proper grammer from books. Rike "Harf a reague, harf a reague, into varrey of death rode six hundred." No girry men there.

Kindest regards,

Phuoc Mei

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have one, even the people here in Arkansas give me hell for talking slow. It must be genetic. My son was raised in northern Illinois and talks just like me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I have no accent GI. Sometime peopre raff at way I tark, but they just being sirry. You bic?

I rearn proper grammer from books. Rike "Harf a reague, harf a reague, into varrey of death rode six hundred." No girry men there.

Kindest regards,

Phuoc Mei

I guess you can speak in javascript too.

P.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I grew up listening to national TV personalities. NBC and CBS news broadcasts, when they wrre still American networks.

As far as I can tell, my wife, my kids, and I sound pretty much like most TV broadcasts.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I'm fairly accent neutral. When I'm in the north, people ask if I'm from the south.

When I'm in the south, people ask if I'm from the north.

When I'm in California, people ask if I'm from the mid-west.

When I'm in Canada, people ask if I'm from Australia (no sheit, been asked that several times)

Should have told them you were speaking Coastie.... smile

Last edited by las; 03/23/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Yankees talk faster than I can think, but that ain't sayin much.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by T LEE
Wife and I both have that flat Midwestern accent, I am a natural and unaware mimic and will be speaking like whomever I am speaking with if I am not real careful. It has got me in trouble a time or two. frown frown

Me too- especially with a Norwegian accent. I AM NOT MOCKING YOU!!!

I don't know why... except my mother was of half Squarehead descent. I'll blame it on her! smile

An older brotherr sent 12 years in the Air Force in Texas. Never did loose the accent, even 20 years after moving back to Alaska.

Last edited by las; 03/23/17.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Born and raised in NC, so yes I do. Funny how folks from other states can pick up on a NC accent. Must be something distinct about it.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I don't know if BYC has posted this thread or not, it was his phone voice message that got me thinking of accents.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by persiandog
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Kindest regards,

Phuoc Mei

I guess you can speak in javascript too.

P.

Write script, no speak. You tark rike GI I know from Ivy Reague schoor. He think he judo interrectuar.

Nice accent though.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Once back in about '72 while traveling by car through Arkansas, we happened to tune in to an AM station on the radio and some fellow was talking...he had the damnedest accent I ever heard anywhere...can't even begin to describe it. If I hadn't known where I was I would never have believed I was somewhere between Dallas and Memphis.

When finishing up all my English courses in college, I had a choice between 19th century American or British literature and a course titled "History and Structure of the English Language." I really, REALLY didn't want to go through either off those lit courses so I took the last choice, hoping to not be as bored as I would have with the literature courses. I hit the jackpot with that one...it was one of the most interesting of all the college courses I ever took and would have enthusiastically taken Part 2 had it been available. I was surprised to learn that there are isolated locales in the Ozarks where you here local dialects that are closer to 18th century Queen's English than you're likely to hear anywhere else.

I think maybe I should have been a linguist. There's just an awful lot to be interested in if you take a close look at things.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by benchman
I found I have what I call a Great Lakes accent. I'm from Erie, Pa., and they sound kinda Canadian/Great Lakes region.
Same here, and then I moved to Minnesota where eveyone talks like an Amish man.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am from New Zealand, you guys all talk like your on TV shows smile

When I went to country towns in Arkansas a couple of years ago, I heard their accent which was unfamiliar to me, because in American movies you only seem to hear the Californian accent or New York city, country Arkansas was one you hardly hear in movies.

...I told them that the only time we ever hear their accent is when there is a horror movie about some teenagers from Los Angeles going on holiday on a plane, and it crashes in the Ozark mountains at night time, and there are some cannibal hillbillies trying to chop them up...thats the only time they are in the movies.

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by persiandog
when I moved from NY to California , I had to put up with a lot of crap. I removed NY , NJ and CT from my resume now everyone is confused on what am I ?

I do sound like a nasty NY cab driver with an attitude/accent.

P.
That far of a move and still in a crappy state.. LOL.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a slight touch of Appalachian in my speech.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (264mag, Anaconda, 6mmCreedmoor, ak_Rick, 13 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 756 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,426
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.