Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hey all. I'm new to this forum. Was sent here by Ken from savage99.com after emailing him with my question. So here is my issue, but first a little back story. Lol. So when I was 15 (I'm 38 now) my grandmother loaned me a Savage lever action rifle to go hunting for the first time. I ended up getting in trouble and grounded and never went hunting, but my dad held onto the gun since my grandma didn't use it anymore. It was originally my grandfather's gun and then my grandmother's after my grandfather died. It sat in my gun locker since my father died in 2010 with the intention being that it go to my uncle, as requested by my grandmother. On March 11, my oldest son's 21st birthday my grandmother passed away. While packing up my grandmother's house, I talked to my uncle and told him I had the rifle and his mom wanted him to have it. To my surprise, he told me he wanted me to have it. Then he told me several stories of the family hunting and stories about the gun. So here is my question. What caliber is my 1899? The Barrell stamp clearly is stamped 30-R. I have never been able to shoot this rifle because I don't know what shells it takes. My uncle said it uses a round almost like the 30-30 but doesn't have the lip at the rear around the primer? If anyone could help I would appreciate it. I would love to take this gun to the range and shoot it and let my kids shoot what used to be their great grandparents hunting rifle. Thank you.

GB1

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you post a picture of the caliber marking? Heck, the whole rifle?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
However unlikely, your description sounds like a 30 Remington. I'd have a gunsmith check it out....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Apparently my picture are too high resolution (exceeded 97k) and can't be uploaded to the site? I'll try taking some lower resolution pictures this weekend.

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I was kind of wondering if it might be 30 Remington but can't find any reference to that caliber used with the 1899 or even 99 models.

IC B2

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I haven't taken it in but have asked all the local gun Smith's and they've all just referenced the .303 caliber and said you can't get rounds for the 1899 anymore. Then offered me $400 to take it off my hands. I just don't think I have any knowledgeable (or honest) gunsmiths around here unfortunately.

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Here is a cropped image of the barrel marking.

Attached Images
0319171855b-1-1.jpg (51.31 KB, 759 downloads)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I think you should hold your water on selling it, email the photos to a senior member here who will sort it out for you.

Great to see a new and unusual topic pop up

Johno

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I'll never sell it. It has too much meaning to me and my family. We just want to be able to taking it the range. It's a great addition to our collection. I also have an old Springfield 1908 .22 and 2 Remington model 11s that were passed down from my grandfather to my father and then to me. It feels good to be teaching my kids to shoot with the same guns that were used to teach my dad and also me. Just want to be able to take the lever action out and shoot it for the first time and also let my kids do the same.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The stamp was originally 30-30, and the R was stamped over the second 30. No idea...

What you need to do is have a gunsmith do a mold of the chamber and measure the dimensions. It might be a 30-30, or might be rechambered to something else. Until you know the dimensions of the chamber, you can't be sure what is it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Calhoun; 03/23/17.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
30 Rimmed ?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah it sounds like a 30 Remington, but as noted you need to do a chamber cast to know or certain.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Other than the rim, aren't the 30-30 Winchester and the 30 Remington the same? So the only change would/could have been the extractor and ejector?

I've bee loading for my 30 Rem with 30-30 Win dies for years. Seems to work.

Doug

An armed society is a polite society.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Rakkasan
Other than the rim, aren't the 30-30 Winchester and the 30 Remington the same? So the only change would/could have been the extractor and ejector?

Doug

No

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Welcome to the site. Hold on to that one and keep us up to date. What part of Oregon are you in? We have a member out there that may be able to point you in the right direction of a good gunsmith. If you get lucky it's just a 30-30 and ammo is easy. I've never seen one over stamped with an "R". We would love to see some pics of the whole rifle so we can tell what model it is. Thanks for posting, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Absolutely have a chamber cast done so you know for sure what correct round should be used.

How about a photo of the bolt face, and the chamber mouth. If it was chambered for 30 Rem wouldn't the headspace need to be set back to eliminate the lip for the rim?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Jeff, that's what I was thinking. But not knowing when it was made? If for some reason the factory did it, you would think the "R" would be the same size as the 30-30, but it's much bigger font? Definitely need a chamber cast, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Rakkasan

Doug

Load data for the .30-30 Win. and 30 Rem. is interchangeable, but the cartridges have different dimensions....

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thanks everyone for all the help and advice. I've gotten further in this in 12 hours here than I have in years elsewhere. I am in Albany, Oregon (about 30 minutes south of Salem). I will post more pics when I can. Gotta play with camera resolution first. When I punch the serial number into savage99 date info it says it was made in 1915 or 1914. I believe it is an 1899a but not sure yet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is somewhat irrelevant since the rifle was originally a 30-30 but 303 Savage ammo is still manufactured by Jamison and is available from Midwayusa.com for 31.99 per box of 20. I'll bet the rifle is worth way more than $400. But you are right, keep it and hand it down to family members. Heirlooms are priceless. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Heirlooms are far from priceless.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
"If for some reason the factory did it..."

Savage stated in their catalogs that they would not re-chamber a barrel. Being over stamped I would think it was not factory. Someone probably had a good reason for doing it at the time.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The "R" is clearly over-stamped on the second "30". This is obviously someone doing after-market work, and re-using the original 30-30 barrel. It was just labeled for future users to know something was changed... Tinkerbells have ethics too you know.

Chamber cast answers everything important, except "why?"

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Get some Cerrosafe and make a casting of the chamber. Report back to us. I'm quite curious as to what has been done to your rifle.
Were it chambered for 30 Remington, the bolt face would need to be altered in such a way I think would be quite a task.

Were it a 30-30 improved, I'd think it would be stamped 30 AI.

There is a 30 R Blaser, but it was developed in 1991. I'm guessing this work predates that.

Granny didn't send ammo with it when she loaned it to you?

Last edited by gregintenn; 03/24/17.
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I can't believe I didn't see it before, but the R is definitely stamped over the 30. Thank you all for the help on this. I'll have a cast made to determine what casing it uses. I wonder why it was modified in the first place.

C
ctw Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
Some of the other rifles you spoke of were Remington's maybe the modification was for keeping things simple?

What you have done is not nearly as important as how you have done it!!!
The Old Fart 2008 A.D.
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I don't have a clue. The model 11s just use normal 12 gauge shells and the Southfield is standard .22lr. I wish I had this info before. Maybe my grandma would have known. I'm really intrigued as to why it would have been rescheduled from something so common to something less common ( possibly).

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If it is a 30 Remington a popular deer cartridge, it would have to have an extractor cut where the bolt face meets the back of the barrel for this rimless cartridge. His grandfather said, is was chambered in a cartridge similar to the 30-30 but without the rim around (the primer).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Looking at dimensions it appears that the 30 Rem is about .050 longer from base to shoulder. Would re-cambering maybe be a fix for a head space problem?

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
That's very much a possibility. I'm trying to get more information from relatives. My uncle said he thinks he might a have some ammo for it at his house. He's going to look. If any work was done it was before he was old enough to remember. I took more pictures of the rifle to upload. Not sure what model it is either. Serial number is 178077 and has a circled H stamped on the lever boss. She's gonna need a good restore. She was definitely a hunting rifle and not a family show piece. Lol

Attached Images
0325171441a-1.jpg (32.1 KB, 144 downloads)
0325171441-1.jpg (49.16 KB, 140 downloads)
0325171440-1.jpg (52.92 KB, 135 downloads)
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Here's a couple of pics of the chamber and bolt

Attached Images
0325171442-1-1.jpg (88.89 KB, 119 downloads)
0325171443-1-1.jpg (81.49 KB, 115 downloads)
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Heirlooms are far from priceless.

This. If I had hung onto everything of my dad's granddad's I wouldn't have room to breathe.

Where is the ammo you used when you hunted with it? I really can't believe someone rechambered it to .30 Remington. I just tried make .30R's feed through a .30-30 and they didn't work wort a tinker's dam.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I think a box of ammo was sent with the gun. However I never got to hunt with it (got in trouble and got grounded). I have no idea what happened to the ammo. It would have made this a lot easier if I had it though

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
20" or 22" barrel? Looks to me like a 20", making it a takedown model 1899H. Stock has been sanded and refinished, may not be the original butt plate, but should work and hunt just fine.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Butt plate has the Savage stamp on it so I'm pretty sure that's original.

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I haven't measured the barrel

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It may be a Savage plate, but it may be the wrong one. The 1899 H had a Rubber Butt Plate. A steel shotgun butt plate was available on special order. I'd keep that gun just as it is. Once you restore it, it will be just another Savage. Keep that one for the memories and buy a couple more for the cool factor. If it's still a 30-30 that's cool right there. Keep up the work on solving the mystery, that adventure would be enough to keep it the way it is, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like it's missing the carrier spring screw. The one that locks tension on the spring.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's definitely an 1899H. It has the small integral base front sight. I wouldn't do anything to but replace the magazine carrier screw. David

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As Calhoun mentioned, it is a take down rifle. If you decide to take it down, pull the tab on the for end down and it pops off. Open the lever and the barrel unscrews. It won't unscrew with the lever up. Don't try to force it if it's tight, just leave it. I only take mine down when I clean them, Joe.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
From what Gary posted it may have some feeding issues which might account for the apparently missing spindle head screw?

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Haha. I was waiting for someone to mention the missing screw. Based on parts breakdowns, I thought it might be that but wasn't 100% sure. But yes, it is missing. Not sure when it went missing either. The magazine "defaults" to 2 rounds remaining showing in the window. From what I found it looks to be about a $3 part so no biggie there.

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
That's great to know. It should make getting a casting of the chamber easier as well as replacing/troubleshooting the feeding system easier. Thank you

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
That's confirmed. It is a takedown with a 20" barrel.

E
E
I'll bet it's a 30/30. If it'll chamber a 30/30 case it is a 30/30. The 30/30 won't chamber in a 30 Rem chamber and it won't chamber in a 303 Savage chamber, so you don't risk a thing by trying. If you were close to Prineville we'd find out in a hurry because I have all of those suspects so we'd very soon find which case slides into the chamber.

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
You're in Prineville? My grandparents used to live there as well as my Uncle and Aunt. I have cousin's in that area still.
Don't suppose you know any Halsey folks.

Last edited by Gabeh; 03/26/17.
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I have a co-worker who does a lot of custom gun stuff. He's going to do a casting for me Monday evening, so I'll know soon what it is for sure.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gabeh
I have a co-worker who does a lot of custom gun stuff. He's going to do a casting for me Monday evening, so I'll know soon what it is for sure.

Be sure and let us know. The suspense is killing me!

E
E
You're in Prineville? My grandparents used to live there as well as my Uncle and Aunt. I have cousin's in that area still.
Don't suppose you know any Halsey folks.

Don't know any Halseys but it is a familiar name for Prineville area -- school teacher or principal?. Looks like you'll get a chamber cast tomorrow and find out just what you have, though the profiles are similar enough it'll take some close measuring to figure for sure I would suspect.

You can find 30/30 cartridges or brass everywhere, and last time I looked both Midway and Grafs had 30 Remington and 303 Savage brass. A few years ago both would have been tough to find: this is a great time to own and shoot old Savages!

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Any updates?

Hunter S. Thompson
G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
No update yet. We work 50-60 hour weeks so not a lot of free time during the week. Most likely he will do the casting sometime this weekend.

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Well, the mystery of this rifle continues to deepen for me. I pulled the carrier assembly today to replace the spring and put a new carrier head screw in it. The carrier is stamped "22". All of the pictures I've seen of the carriers have the specific cartridge stamped in them, so how does a 22 carrier work for any of the 30 caliber cartridges that might be used? I've decided regardless of what my coworker determines, I'm taking the gun to a gunsmith. I've gotta get this whole thing figured out professionally.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I wonder if a 30-30 and a 22 High Power are similar enough to use the same rotor.

Don't fire it, but run a 30-30- round through the magazine and chamber and see what happens. I'm betting it feeds fine.

Last edited by gregintenn; 04/02/17.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Same damned parent case.

G
Gabeh Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Oh ok. Sorry. I'm far from a savage or antique gun expert. Sorry for the ignorance there. Guess I should have googled it or something.

E
E
Its time to quit screwing around with this, Gabeh. It is probably a 30/30, so take a 30/30 cartridge, go outside and point the rifle at a tree (just in case...) and see if the cartridge chambers. If it does you have a 30/30 and don't need to see a gunsmith or do a chamber cast. If it doesn't chamber, then you might worry about the chamber cast. Or you can come visit your cousin in Prineville, give old earlmck a call and we'll plop cartridges in there until we know what fits.

None of the potential alternative cartridges will chamber in a 30/30 chamber, so if it chambers it is 30/30.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1minute, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 3,015 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,697
Posts18,456,685
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.