Print Thread
Hop To
S
se3388 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Anyone here ever handled one of the Rolling Block rifles from Tippmann Armory?

Steve......

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
GB1

S
se3388 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Has anyone even seen one in person?

Steve....

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I'd like to know, too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the local shop has one in 357 Mag. Looks to be well made, but they are very expensive and they used a large frame even though they only chamber them in pistol calibers (?). They should have used a No. 1 1/2 or No. 2 frame. Also the the open sights are pretty basic and the tang is not drilled for a tang sight, nor is the barrel drilled for scope mounts. The hammer has an over long, strange-looking (to my eye) spur that detracts from the overall appearance. One thing they did retain, is the ridiculously low comb of the originals; not much cheek contact even when using the barrel sights.

Might be a fun cast bullet plinker if it were a LOT cheaper.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

What kind of price are they asking? My guess is that they'll have a hard time selling them as small-game center-fires if the price is close to what a "deer" caliber rifle would be. Would you be willing to pay that price if the Tippman were chambered for a "deer" round?

Were 1 1/2 Remington rolling blocks actually much smaller than No. 1s?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ploughman

What kind of price are they asking? My guess is that they'll have a hard time selling them as small-game center-fires if the price is close to what a "deer" caliber rifle would be. Would you be willing to pay that price if the Tippman were chambered for a "deer" round?

Were 1 1/2 Remington rolling blocks actually much smaller than No. 1s?

Asking $895, though he said I could have it for $795 ;-)

No, I wouldn't pay that for it in a "deer round" either, but then, I don't hunt much anymore.

I believe the 1 1/2 is smaller than the 1 and 5, which these Tippman seem to be based on. I know the No.2 is a smaller action, and would be a lot nicer in a pistol caliber.

If you're interested, it's at Creekside Firearms in Homer, NY (607) 299-4046. Ask for Doug and tell him Lance sent you.

S
se3388 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Listed at $895.00 is getting close to lower end Ruger No.1 rifles.

Steve.........

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are good used Ruger No. 1s for less than that out there, if you look and you're patient.
I know, because I have a "small" collection. So, these Tippman rifles aren't of much interest at the asking price. If someone is really into rolling blocks, and wants a strong modern shooter, they may be worth the money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gewehrfreund
Yeah, the local shop has one in 357 Mag. Looks to be well made, but they are very expensive and they used a large frame even though they only chamber them in pistol calibers (?). They should have used a No. 1 1/2 or No. 2 frame. Also the the open sights are pretty basic and the tang is not drilled for a tang sight, nor is the barrel drilled for scope mounts. The hammer has an over long, strange-looking (to my eye) spur that detracts from the overall appearance. One thing they did retain, is the ridiculously low comb of the originals; not much cheek contact even when using the barrel sights.

Might be a fun cast bullet plinker if it were a LOT cheaper.
Yep.

I was in Cabela's gun library the other day when I saw a Tippmann in .357 Magnum and remembered this thread. My first impression was big, blocky and super low comb. I suppose it's well made but the ergonomics were awful and there is enough wood and steel there for two svelte .357 rifles.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was under the impression that the Tippmann rifles are built on original actions with a new stock, barrel, and internal components (hammer, trigger). Is that right?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The website says the receivers are investment cast, so I'd say no. "Based on a Spanish infantry rifle" apparently means the design, not the actual rifle. That hammer is kinda weird.

Someone interested in a SS .357 might want to wait a month or so for the Henry. They're not listed yet, but their prez told me they're coming.

Last edited by Pappy348; 03/27/17.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
se3388 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I didn't know they were made with that large action, that hammer is a bit weird in how it sticks up. I have one of the Baby Rolling Blocks from Uberti and really like it except for the heavy trigger, I have been lazy and looked up anything about lightening up the trigger.
Mr. Imperato told me in a recent e-mail that the 357 mag version of his single shot rifles would be out later this year. I'm planning on taking a look at them.

Steve..........

GOA Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.