Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Tanner
Bringing two bags on a backpack hunt is absolutely silly and a waste of space and weight, if that's what you meant. If you meant that you'd just like to have two bags to swap on your frame and to keep at home, then that makes sense. I personally have a 22 Mag, Timberline 2, and AMR. But I would never bring two on the same hunt.

Tanner

Agree 100%. I didnt read the OP good enough. Backpack hunt = 1 pack for sure. I used the Mountain Warrior in the role of a true daypack (not a backpack hunt). It certainly was adequate but not ideal.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bringing two bags on a backpack hunt is absolutely silly and a waste of space and weight, if that's what you meant. If you meant that you'd just like to have two bags to swap on your frame and to keep at home, then that makes sense. I personally have a 22 Mag, Timberline 2, and AMR. But I would never bring two on the same hunt.

Tanner

That is what I mean't. Not too sure its silly, especially if the bigger pack's profile isn't conducive to hunting in the timber. I've never tried a Kifaru but can assure you some of the competitors aren't worth a shiite in day pack mode.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's absolutely silly with a Kifaru. I've hunted and killed animals in the timber with a Kifaru on and had no issues (AMR compressed).

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters
That is what I mean't. Not too sure its silly, especially if the bigger pack's profile isn't conducive to hunting in the timber. I've never tried a Kifaru but can assure you some of the competitors aren't worth a shiite in day pack mode.

B, think of it this way. The limiting factor in how svelte the pack is when you're going through brush is the frame, not the bag. If you cinch down the compression straps with a partial load the pack will be as wide as the frame and as tall as the frame, but no less in either dimension.

So changing out the bags won't make a difference in how small you can make the pack, with a daypack-sized load aboard.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have the 26" frame with the DT2. I also have the cargo panel. Usually, I just run the standard lid.

That pack is awesome, I dont even really look at packs anymore because Im happy with what I have.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm a fan of the big bag. The first time you have to stuff an entire deer or similar in your pack plus gear, you may very well start to think maybe the small bag daypack on kifaru frame is a silly idea. I sure did.

I tried a 3500 bag system on my kifaru frame and it sucked for me. Great unless I killed something. Now I run a DT1 bag all the time. Cinches down small enough when empty it's no issue.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's absolutely silly with a Kifaru. I've hunted and killed animals in the timber with a Kifaru on and had no issues (AMR compressed).

Tanner

Well said!!! A well designed packbag should compress down amazingly small. To a point where having a 7K cu in bag compressed is dang near the same size as a 2000 cu in bag on the same frame.

I personally hate strapping on gear to the outside of a small pack when I kill something and have to put meat in the pack I end up looking like the dang Beverly Hillbillies.

Cubic inches are light and I'd rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Though I do prefer the Mountain Warrior over the Timberline 2 wink

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
After chewing on comments here and discussing with the Kifaru guys, I've changed my thought process a bit. I'm looking at a Reckoning bag on the Hunter frame. According to Kifaru the Reckoning should compress down to frame size but still be big enough for 1-3 day hunts. Always has the pocket option to add a bit of organization.

Kifaru usually has a Fathers Day and Black Friday sale. Based on past sales, I doubt the Reckoning will be on the sales flyer.......

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Pulled the trigger today on a new Hunter frame and Reckoning bag. Thanks all for the comments and ideas.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Do you have it? If so, thoughts?

I have been thinking about a new pack and that is the combination I settled on after thinking through my use cases. Adding a water bottle bag and a small waist bag for my camera. What I haven't been able to see is how useful the side pockets are. Stick with those for snacks and other items I will get during the day or add a zippered pocket. Going with Ranger Green.

Last edited by prm; 04/16/17.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got it about a week ago. I've been hauling it around with 50 lbs in it.

I really like the way it fits my lumbar and back - fits better than my Kuiu or other previous packs. I am struggling with getting it dialed in. I've noticed I'm getting too much pressure on my collar bones and feel like the right one is bruised a bit after my last 2 mile hike. I talked to Aaron and I made a few changes but I still get the pressure on my collar bone, especially the right one. I've adjusted it 50 times and can't seem to get it quite right.

The majority of the issue is my build - 17.5" torso, 42" chest, 33" waist - makes it hard to get a pack to fit right. I sent Aaron a pic of the pack on me. He asked how tall I was, I told him, and asked who told me to order a 26" frame? I told him it was a 24" frame and his response: "Geez you really do have a short torso." Seemingly if Kifaru can get a 4'9" women fitted with a 24" frame, a 5' 8" guy should be able to make something work.

I wish the shoulder straps were farther apart where they come off the frame. I really want to like this pack but can't see wearing a pack that hurts to wear after a couple miles. I'm not done tweaking it but have the load lifters on the lowest frame loops/setting and still getting 30 degree angle to shoulder. I think thats about as good as its gonna get.

I'm still moving the shoulder straps up/down to find a sweet spot with the least amount of pressure on my collar bones. I'll try not tightening the chest strap at all - just leave it barely taught and see how it handles. Same with the load lifters, gonna try not as much up pressure and see how that feels.

I did an interweb search and it seems I'm not the only one with the collar bone issue. Solutions are all over the place - if anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears........

I got the Ranger Green Reckoning and really like the pack.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Could you post a pic showing the fit of the pack? Might help with coming up with some ideas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like you need to do some tinkering with the yolk, load lifters, and 3 bar slider positions. You'll find the sweet spot... post some photos like starsky said.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm in Nashville at the moment and will do so later this week.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks. Your comments about collar bones are concerning. I've broken both of mine pretty badly racing motocross and they stick out more than usual. I'll chime in once I have my pack and can play with it.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Got home early from Nashville. I watched a couple of Aaron's pack fitting videos - do that before you make any adjustments. I'm almost embarrassed to say what my issue was - way too tight sternum strap. One of Aaron's videos tipped me off - he said he cut his sternum strap off. I lowered the strap about even with my nipples and took the slack out of it. I had it pulled too tight and the shoulder straps were riding inside my anterior deltoid and over my collarbones. The shoulder straps now ride over my delts instead of inside them.

A couple other tidbits. I started putting pack on my back, leaning forward to get it located on my lumbar and pulling the chest strap down snug, then doing the waist belt, then load lifters, re-checking the shoulder strap, and take slack out of the sternum strap.

Aaron also stated he has a 45 degree load lifters angle. A Patrick video stated and shows a 10-15 degree angle. That never made sense to me. A shallow angle basically pulls the shoulder strap back, not up. Mine is probably 35-40 degrees. I've always used load lifters between 30 and 45 degrees. I couldn't make the pack fit how Patrick was showing in his video. After watching Aaron, I went by intuition and feel. Watch Aaron's videos and then go by what feels right.

If I can help in any way, let me know. I'll share what I know. It will be a quick 30 seconds 😁 I also have Aarons number if you want to chat with him.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Glad it worked out. I'll check out the videos.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to hear you got it worked out.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Took mine on a couple walks, the last being maybe 5 mi with 50lbs in it. Really quite pleased. No adjustments have been necessary. Before long I'll load it up with all my elk gear and see how it works.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I loaded all my gear in mine a couple weeks back. It all fit with room to spare. One thing I notice, the Kifaru rides my back much better than about any other pack I've ever owned. I've been wearing miner filled with 40lbs sand - which is what I'm expecting my backpack to weigh fully loaded. It took me a couple days/week to get it fitted right but thats the advantage of having a short torso.

I also went all in - bought a 22 mag, 2 small belt pockets, and regular lid for the Reckoning. I blame it on Scott - he let me try his on <G>

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
101 members (338reddog, 405joe, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,369 guests, and 697 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,873
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.