Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At a bit over 200 yards and at 0º or somewhat lower F:

[Linked Image]

l to r: unfired 35 cal 250 Hornady SP, 250 Hornady SP which barely entered chest cavity just aft of the forward end of the sternum, 300 45 cl XTP Mag finisher up closer, 35 cal 225 gr Barnes XFB pulled from high shoulder muscle.

[Linked Image]

250 Hot-Cor pulled from another moose which was shot at around 35 yards angled from back side of ribs on one side into shoulder muscles on the other side.

[Linked Image]

200 PSP Corelokt taken from caribou shot at 100-200 yards.

I save 250s for the Norma these days and use the lighter bullets in the Winchester with either TAC or IMR 4895.

All bullets fired from 358 Winchester.

I have both 225 Partitions and 200 TTSX loaded for my rifle, as well as a bunch of 220 Hot-Cors. My choices for use are in that order as well.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
BP-B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986
Originally Posted by Bobber257
Arrrrrrg!!! A .35 Win. in a 1895!! I'd give my left testicle for one of those. Heck, at my age, I'd give BOTH!😖

I've handled that same rifle before and didnt know what I was holding until i walked into the LGS a couple weeks ago and found one with something close to a $3500 price tag hanging from it.

-Jon

Well Compadre,

If I can make it to Quemado this year I'll tote it back. With a couple of boxes of cartridges. We'll try busting the gong with it!!

Bob

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
jm: Based on my experience with Hawk bullets in a 356 Win; I believe you had a bullet failure with jacket/core separation.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I've had excellent results with the Speer 250 Hot-Cors in my Whelen on Elk (mostly Cows, nothing Really big) It's been a long time since I chronoed the load, but if my memory is correct it's around 2500fps.

I'm sure I used some Hornadys and some sierras as well, but the 250 speers are what I used last and can remember the most.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I like the 225 Sierra for my Whelen's. I've had great luck in accuracy and performance with it.

This year a wounded a Oryx with my 7600 Whelen with a 225 grn Hawk bullet. I cant claim failure, but we're almost certain the bullet went exactly where it should have gone and we only found blood for about 300 yds. After about a half mile we found the group of Oryx bedded and jumped them, looking like nothing was wrong with them.

Again, just an anecdotal. These animals are known to be tough as hell, so it might have just been oryx being oryx. It was the first animal I've lost in a long time and it sure did burn.

-Jon
They are tough only when the bullet does not hit the vitals. Since you did not recover the oryx,it's all speculation.

I put a 270 gr Swift A-Frame from a .375 H&H in the wrong spot on this oryx and had a tough time killing it. It took an hour of following it up before the killing shot was made.
[Linked Image]

IIRC,it took 6 rounds altogether from my rifle and the PH's to bring it bag.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you're using a 358 Winchester I would go with the lighter bullets, either the 200 grain Barnes or the 225 Partition.

If you were using a larger round - 35 Whelen, 350 Remington Magnum, 358 Norma or STW, I would suggest a heavier bullet.

Way back in the 1980s the late Finn Aagaard reported good performance with the 250 grain Speer in his Whelen.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
This is what my .35 Whelen does with a 250 gr Speer. The load is 55.0 grs Var-Get and WLR primers. Going to take it out tomorrow morning to see if it will duplicate that group and also shoot the load over the chronograph.
[Linked Image]

The rifle. Interarms Mark X,Douglas 22" with a 1-12" twist. The scope is an old Weaver 3x.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Right now my two loads are as follows

Hornady 200 gr SP at 2600 fps. ( I'm not even loading that. The factory load performs great and above stated velocities).

Speer 250 gr Hot Cor at almost 2450 fps (this is my handload)

For ease I much prefer the Factory Hornady Load because its already done ie: I don't have to roll it.

Double Tap is loading the Speer load I like, its just pricey, but time is money so a box is in my future.

Buffalo Bore has the Sierra 225 gr loaded ready to go as well as the Barnes.

I m still leaning towards the Speer for my do all load. I m guessing the guys that had trouble with that soft Hot Cor bullet in the 358 win where starting out under 2100 fps.

I m running it at factory 35 Whelen velocity

Last edited by marshland_max; 03/26/17.

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Arrrrrrg!!! A .35 Win. in a 1895!! I'd give my left testicle for one of those. Heck, at my age, I'd give BOTH!😖

I've handled that same rifle before and didnt know what I was holding until i walked into the LGS a couple weeks ago and found one with something close to a $3500 price tag hanging from it.

-Jon

Well Compadre,

If I can make it to Quemado this year I'll tote it back. With a couple of boxes of cartridges. We'll try busting the gong with it!!

Bob

Back in the early 70's I met an old rancher down by Pincher Creek, Alberta who had an 1895 in .303 British. Don't believe there were a lot made in that caliber. Would be interesting to know what that's worth now.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm deciding on a moose load for my Whelen in the next few months. Narrowed it down to slow and heavy (250 NPT) and lite and fast (200 TTSX). Would have thrown the 225 NAB into the fray, but they are like hen's teeth these days. All depends on how things shoot. Haven't got the speed I was hoping for with the 200 TTSX yet - just a hair above 2,700 fps.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nice looking set up. Classy looking with the old 3x Weaver on top. I had an old 4x El Paso steel tube on my Whelen for about 20 years. Last year the adjustments started getting sticky/erratic so I replaced it with a 1.5-4.5 Bushnell Elite 3200. No need for higher magnification on a Whelen.
That's a good group you got there. I get slightly under 1.25" at 100 meters with the 250 H-C on top of IMR4064 or IMR8208XBR. (both at about 2450 fps). Hornady 250 SPRP's group slightly tighter (about 1") but the H-C's are still my "go-to". They've accounted for a pile of game for me and I trust them to work without fail. Besides, that .25" doesn't make a whit of difference on big critters at Whelen ranges.

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
An old friend and mentor carried a pre-64 model 70 featherweight in 358 for all of his long elk hunting career. His bullet of choice was the Speer 250 grain Hot Core. He killed more elk over his lifetime than anyone I ever knew and swore by that bullet.

I've used the Nosler 250 grain Partitions from a 35 Whelen on three caribou but have no doubt any of the 250 grain offerings would have done just as well.

The 358 would be right at home with any of the 250 grain Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Hawk or Woodleigh offerings.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

-Jon

Well Compadre,

Bob

Back in the early 70's I met an old rancher down by Pincher Creek, Alberta who had an 1895 in .303 British. Don't believe there were a lot made in that caliber. Would be interesting to know what that's worth now.

Not trying to hijack thread bit there were more .303's made than you would think. Both std rifles and SRC's. Here's one in .303 that belongs to a compadre of mine. I did some stock work on this one for him.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 03/28/17.

Founder

WS

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice looking set up. Classy looking with the old 3x Weaver on top. I had an old 4x El Paso steel tube on my Whelen for about 20 years. Last year the adjustments started getting sticky/erratic so I replaced it with a 1.5-4.5 Bushnell Elite 3200. No need for higher magnification on a Whelen.
That's a good group you got there. I get slightly under 1.25" at 100 meters with the 250 H-C on top of IMR4064 or IMR8208XBR. (both at about 2450 fps). Hornady 250 SPRP's group slightly tighter (about 1") but the H-C's are still my "go-to". They've accounted for a pile of game for me and I trust them to work without fail. Besides, that .25" doesn't make a whit of difference on big critters at Whelen ranges.
That is good to know.

Yup.

Do have some 250 gr NP's that I may try in the Whelen sometime.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The most accurate bullet that I ever tried in my Whelen was the 280 gr. Swift A-Frame with IMR4064. Don't recall the charge (it was a long time ago). They would go into little clover leaf clusters between .5"- .75" all day long. The drawback? They were ferociously expensive, hard to find around here and kicked the snot out of me. Thus, they never went hunting. I have no doubt that they would be deadly medicine for elk, moose or most anything else anywhere in the world.

My rifle, by the way, is a Browning A-Bolt, 22" RKS stainless tube with a 1/21 to 1/12 gain twist.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Very nice! Surprised that the .303 chambering was fairly common.

Last edited by Bobber257; 03/28/17.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
The most accurate bullet that I ever tried in my Whelen was the 280 gr. Swift A-Frame with IMR4064. Don't recall the charge (it was a long time ago). They would go into little clover leaf clusters between .5"- .75" all day long. The drawback? They were ferociously expensive, hard to find around here and kicked the snot out of me. Thus, they never went hunting. I have no doubt that they would be deadly medicine for elk, moose or most anything else anywhere in the world.

My rifle, by the way, is a Browning A-Bolt, 22" RKS stainless tube with a 1/21 to 1/12 gain twist.
I tried the 280 gr SAF's in a .358 Norma Mag,they shot real well. Don't remember why I don't use them now. smirk

The .35 Whelen in the above pic is a Douglas barrel with a 1-12" twist.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 03/28/17.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Very nice! Surprised that the .303 chambering was fairly common.

Just received email from him tonight. He had to off one of his ancient bovines with it this evening. wink

Still doing the job!

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm deciding on a moose load for my Whelen in the next few months. Narrowed it down to slow and heavy (250 NPT) and lite and fast (200 TTSX). Would have thrown the 225 NAB into the fray, but they are like hen's teeth these days. All depends on how things shoot. Haven't got the speed I was hoping for with the 200 TTSX yet - just a hair above 2,700 fps.

Not sure if I mentioned it to you in the past but IMR 8208 does well in my gun with 200 gr TTSX and Accubonds, 57 gr for 2850 fps with both. I did go up to Nosler's max of 59 gr for over 2900 fps but had excellent accuracy at 2850 fps. Some guys are doing well with H 4895 and the 200's as well.

Gerry.
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by mart
An old friend and mentor carried a pre-64 model 70 featherweight in 358 for all of his long elk hunting career. His bullet of choice was the Speer 250 grain Hot Core. He killed more elk over his lifetime than anyone I ever knew and swore by that bullet.

I've used the Nosler 250 grain Partitions from a 35 Whelen on three caribou but have no doubt any of the 250 grain offerings would have done just as well.

The 358 would be right at home with any of the 250 grain Speer, Hornady, Nosler, Hawk or Woodleigh offerings.

I m hopping to make it a long term deal myself. I have shot them all I like them all. Just want to make sure I have the most power on tap I can. The 225 are probably more balance, but the 250 all most gaurantees performance in my mind. Also with my scope I m using its not hard to adjust for the additional 1 moa of drop.

Meat Hunters Do It For Dinner.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
360 members (1lesfox, 160user, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 40 invisible), 2,047 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,970
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.