-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 27 1 2 3 4 26 27
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like the combo. If you are serious you should jump all over TheBigSky's offer.

I bought my Montana .280AI from him, and could not be happier.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

YMMV.

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by JMR40
The odds are that you'll get a Kimber that shoots just as well as anything else. The problem is finding shooters who can shoot a rifle that light accurately.

I have one in 308. With Leupold VX-2, 3-9X40 on it in Talley lightweights it is still a hair under 6 lbs. Like most Kimbers it shoots great if I do my part. Not the rifles fault, but I tend to shoot some other rifles in the 7-7.5 lb range better. I don't seem to shoot anything over 8 lbs any better than the 7.5 lb rifles.

You're looking at about 3/4 lb more than my rifle, almost 7 lbs. I think it'll be fine.

Now I've only shot a dozen or quite a few more.... But ULA/NULA's are light as well, correct....? Wonder why you don't hear about them not shooting good.... Nor do the same people that have bad shooting Kimbers because they "don't know how to shoot light rifles" have any problems shooting the exact guns once they get them rebarreled...

Kimber has an awesome package with the Montana/Ascent /etc, but their QC sucks.

Probably because nobody who drops the $$$ on a NULA is going to admit that they can't shoot it for [bleep]....

Just joking (sort of).

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
Originally Posted by GeoW
19 oz scope? What you going with?

SWFA SS 3-9x42hd...

I don't want to make this a dedicated LR rig, but if I needed to reach out for a sheep or goat, I want to be able to dial in and reach out to say 5-600 yards and dial it in then back out. I feel that 5-600 yards is just to long to trust to a bdc reticle and just hold over.

I've never needed that sort of range for sheep and goats. Nor would I want to try.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep. All 4 in my safe will do MOA with hunting bullets..

To the OP - I'd also consider a plain Jain Montana. My 270 84L weighs 6.5 lbs with scope, my 308 a bit over 6. It's up to you on $ spent vs how many ounces to save.

I also agree with your cartridge choice. I've been a fan of the 280 since the early 80s. Tough to beat a good 150-160 gr 0.284 bullet. I will say, in a light rifle, the 280 is going to recoil a bit.

Last edited by bwinters; 03/24/17.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wouldnt be my rifle of choice for a 6-700 yard shot.

IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I just wish I wasn't such a crappy shot! It sounds like a 700yd shot on meat is a chip shot for everyone but me. I mean, I shoot steel out to 700yds most weekends and 850yds once a month or so, on a few different bipod'd rifles. It always seems a little different in the hunting field with a light hiking rifle and a 20-30 mph crosswind though.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Seems like if you want to make a habit of this, you need something that has some horsepower, magazine length to accommodate slippery bullets, and weighs 8 lbs +/-. Build a 280AI or 7mag (depending on boltface)on a long action 700, with modest barrel length and contour of 0.625" +/-, and a 25 - 30 oz stock. Or skip the build and buy a SS ADL 30-06 or 7mag and go from there. I'm at just over 8lbs with a 24" SS factory 7mag, DDs and a leupold 6x in a 30 oz McMillan stock. '06 and 7mag throating will both let you kiss lands with slippery stuff and stay within mag confines.

A SWFA 6x will put you a half pound heavier than a leupold 6x, plus whatever difference in mounts. The SWFA 1x4 gets you closer, but is still a few oz heavier. Those obsessed with aiming at thumbtacks on a windless range will always have a problem with the concept of 4x on a western rifle, but those who've lined up on basketball or beachball size targets at those ranges realize that getting a good sight picture way out there really isn't that tough. Some would rather count hairs through their scope vs shoot the animal.

I'd be looking at a M1 on a leupold 4x or 6x to see if you can get repeatability, and if not, go to SWFA and suffer under the weight.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gtscotty
I just wish I wasn't such a crappy shot! It sounds like a 700yd shot on meat is a chip shot for everyone but me. I mean, I shoot steel out to 700yds most weekends and 850yds once a month or so, on a few different bipod'd rifles. It always seems a little different in the hunting field with a light hiking rifle and a 20-30 mph crosswind though.

You're not the only one.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
MUCH hilarity here!

Firstly,think bullets...not headstamps,as THE opening move. Hint.

Twist/throat/COAL matter more than a "smidge". Hint.

Trigger time trumps all. Hint.

'ing8,

I'd go Montucky Kreedmire,due the great reduction in noise,recoil,length,weight and the ability to launch upper echelong BC's with greater Precision(and Fun). Hint.

The 280/280AI is a great way to fly,but not on a Montucky,due their relatively trite COAL threshold. The 6-06 is a superior mechanical approach,given those considerations and prolly why I built a 8" Brux contour duped/shortened shank upon a Montucky Twat-Six Donor. Hint.

DD's,6x MQ and a .530BC at 3325fps. Prolly don't suck. Hint.

[Linked Image]

In the Real World,contending atmospherics matters more than a smidge and impact velocity,is farrrrrrr more important than launch velocity. BC do more than a few nice thangs,doubly so in a fun to shoot parcel. Hint.

Very easy to arrange a .697BC at 2700fps in a Kreedmire. With a 200yd zero,the 1000yd line is 8Mils of windshield away,in this morning's atmosphere. 1125yds is a 10 Mil cursory gawk through the ocular and hardly a big fhuqking deal,as trajectory goes. 5 Mils of 10mph windshield windage correction,in full value conditions,is well beyond the 2000yd line. Hint.

Nothing else will slip conditions as well,with a like amount of recoil. Hint.

'Course I don't get to shoot well thunked Montucks expressly set up to do a whole bunch more,than your very modest requisites,more often than every day. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.

Pass the 6x MQ hold the Fluff and forget the variables. If you pay attention,you'd blow your own mind on your first outing,as the dots will literally connect themself.

You've been led to water.

Hint....................

'guide,

DO "tell" about your version of "knowledge","experience" and "results" with said parcel(s). Feel free to swing for the fence in regards to rifle,boolit,mounting system and scope "particulars"...in no certain order. It WILL be funnier than fhuqk,if you TRY. Congratulations?!?

Someone who "knows" as "much" as you,is always gonna be best served by asking questions,rather than giving "answers". Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

'40,

As rifle mass decreases,trigger pull weight must as well...if only because there is less mass on the scene,to contend the impetus of same.

I could not begin to count the number of folks who on their very first shot with one of my rifles,greatly exceeded the ceiling of their prior most distant connect. Hell...I've seen them boringly reliable results,sell more than a fhuqking [bleep] ton of scopes,rifles and boolits.(grin)

Most folks are fighting schit mounting systems and HEAVILY compromised mechanical scope integrity,less having a first fhuqking clue as to the maladies. 'Course,they launch alotta Ping Pong Balls too and then malign "the rifle". FUNNY schit!

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!....................

'45,

I doubt I've been around more than 50 Montuckys and have yet to see one that weren't a fhuqking PEACH. Incorrect assembly,schit mounts/glass,poor bedding attempts and schit ammo plague 'em routinely. Rifles talk...yet noone listens.

Have fixed countless rifles that "didn't shoot",by simply Starting At The Fhuqking Start and never had one whoop me yet. Still HOPING for it to come to fruition,just so I could have that T-shirt too.(grin)

Hint....................

'68,

280AI brass costs the same as anything else. I always wanna form my own and drive an initial false shoulder anyhow,to have finite control upon initial and subsequent headspace.

Hint.

Have yet to see someone who could set up a set of dies correctly.

HINT..................

'Jockey,

Trigger time,is trigger time and though everyone talks about it...NOONE does it. If they did,they'd not mutter such absolutely fhuqking STUPID schit. Hint.

I'm rather at ease in slapping 1200yd steel with my "lowly" 18" Montucky 270 and 105's steered with a subtended Illuminatti pinned to 4X. That rifle really fhuqks with pointy heads and there contrived notions.

Waiting on a wingman now and will be schlepping that NASTY little bitch streamside,along with me. Good day to catch a Bear moving about.

Hint.....................

'AU,

Your fascination with sheer and utter Goat Fhuqks,is nothing shy of SPECTACULAR Hilarity. The ONLY fhuqking thing you "shoot",is your mouth. Congratulations?!?

Your CLUELESSNESS is epic in it's grandeur. CDS/BDC are fhuqking jokes,just like you. hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!...............

'duct,

It's been a spell now,since someone was dumb enough to take my money for a rifle that "didn't shoot". They quit "telling" me schit and started listenin'...then "all" those "bad" rifles simply disappeared.(grin)

FUNNY schit!.................

Rin',

The LEAST important aspect on a glass that aligns POA/POI RELIABLY,is X's. It's all but moot.

Joe Average is over headstamped,under boolited and wayyyyyy over X'd...while schlepping schit that has heavily compromised mechanical integrity.

Though I do getta kick outta folks who don't listen and chase their tails.......................(grin)

Greg',

Many folks are well over their heads at the 50yd line. Then they prove it.(grin)

I routinely shoot Rimfires beyond the 600yd line and it's funnier than fhuqk to grant a dyed in the wool Dissenter,opportunity to partake and change tunes...after the first poke. Seen it lots.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Physics is Physics and I enjoy Window Lickers that have never even seen the wares associated,let alone used 'em,weigh in with "all" they "know".

FUNNY schit!...............

'jrk,

Having implicit FAITH in an Optic,sure as fhuqk is soothin'. Was talking to a pard yesterday,about rifles that "don't shoot" and the not so curious connection of the current crop of Reupold's and their role in arranging same. The new schit,really sucks ass,while a couple Gen's back were far more reliable. Shame.

For some strange reason,there's been 100's of Fixed Fhuqkers procured and flogged upon,less a single woe. Been some spectacular crashes and while mounting systems have failed(namely LW's),nary a single glass has.

They've REALLY changed the game,in unerring reliability and windshield splendor. Two rotations of a Reupold CDS,is still well shy of a Fixed Fhuqker MQ's windshield AND actually do as intended.

Them facts,tend to hurt Window Licker's feelin's.................(grin)

Form',

I've seen some botched schit,but never one that couldn't be made happy with a shred of sense.

Have rebarreled 'em because I shot barrels out,or wanted a chambering/twist/throat that weren't in the catalog....but never due to Precision.

Prolly need to build a 20" contour duped/shortened shank 6 Kreedmire,just for giggles.

Montuckys STEAL The Show and then some.................

'bean,

The Kreedmire will outpace the 7-08 and do it with less recoil.

Bullets/bullets/bullets.

Hint....................

'DUDE,

You've ZERO idea,how close the 700yd line is,with a sound platform...that extolls the simplistic constant of boolit/glass/mounts and actual USE. Hint.

ZERO.

Hint................

'scotty,

For perspective,describe the platforms and their particulars,which soooooooo very reliably whoop your ass. Say sumptin' about boolits,glass,mounts,etc. It WILL be fhuqking funny.

Pics would be fhuqking hilarious too.

Mebbe also delve a leetle deeper on how/why you feel compelled to launch bullets at Critters in a Hurricane,given your "means","abilities" and "comprehension". Spare NO details,as others will getta laugh at your fhuqking Stupidity. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!..................

Vek,

"Horsepower" is arranged numerous ways,but THE constant is...boolits matter more than anything else. Another constant is,that the Handier?dandier the parcel and more fhuqking FUN it is to schlep/shoot,the more the fhuqking thing gets schlepped/shot. That is how dots are connected and "luck" arranged in non-lineal fashion. Hint.

A 6x42 M1 ele with LW's is a 8 oz buffer over a 6x MQ with DD's. I've broken too many LW's and the Fixed Fhuqker will track in superior fashion,grant opportunity upon the windshield that Reupold cain't even begin to fathom and you can club dinner to death with it,if so inclined. 'Course I've broken Reupold windshields too and that stops the game. Pun be intended.

I've multiple Illuminatti's and am hip on the notion and they absolutely DESTROY all thangs Reupold. They have 62 fhuqking Mils on the erector,another 10 on the etched windshield,the illumination rheostat is killer,the extry battery storage compartment more of the same and illumination is placed ONLY where it's needed upon the windshield. They are easy to zero stop too. Hint.

POA/POI intersections in distant Zip Codes are not predicated upon X value of Optics,but rather mechanical integrity and folks who ACTUALLY shoot,tend to appreciate them etched in stone constants.

The Hubble Crowd cracks me he fhuqk up and that before they even TRY to shoot.(grin)

It's never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

Bless their hearts.......................

'winters,

The 147 Kreedmire CRUSHES the 280/280AI,with the boolits you cite.

I realize that'll only come as a "surprise" to you. Hint.

Feel free to TRY yet again.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Works for me...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Found a short clip of Big Stick while typing his rants:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
'dick (not so much of a hint)

A little early for crack smokin' isn't it?

I realize my error now in not listing a specific bewlit for you. Its obvious a 147 gr 6.5 cal ELDX with its BC of 0.697 pushed at 2700 by the Creed is far superior to a 150 gr 0.284 cal ELDX (BC 0.574) pushed at a sedate 2900 in the plain jane 280. Put both with the same zero, maximum y, or any other retarded combination you care to dream up, the plain jane 280 shoots flatter; the AI version only more so.

As to wind drift, obviously a man of your skilltitude can fully harness the 7" or so of less drift afforded the Creed - at 1000 yards. And of course 7" less wind drift more than compensates for the 14" extra inches or so of drop with your Creed.

Nice try.

Last edited by bwinters; 03/25/17.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by bwinters
Originally Posted by Gtscotty

You're not the only one.....

Me either but come on don't base what others can do by your own abilities or lack of.

Most guys have a very hard time admitting they can't shoot as well as they'd like. Some guys admit it and do something about it. Several guys in this thread can most likely shoot as good if not better at 600-700 than I do at 300.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Agree. I didn't say I couldn't do it, I'm not comfortable when a living beast is out there. For me, too many things can go wrong when the trigger is tripped. I'll stay inside of 500 and calmish winds.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice Jordan, 7-08 or WSM?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by bwinters
Agree. I didn't say I couldn't do it, I'm not comfortable when a living beast is out there. For me, too many things can go wrong when the trigger is tripped. I'll stay inside of 500 and calmish winds.

Kaleb ^
This was more the point...

I don't post here much, but this Big Stick clown y'all got is a trip! Misspelling every other word is Hullarious! Laffin' Fo Sho Bro!

20-30 mph is hurricane level? Lol. Does no one outside of Wyoming have to hunt in heavy winds if they want to hunt at all? Lucky dogs, wind is 90% of the difficulty in longer range shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad
Nice Jordan, 7-08 or WSM?

Brad,

That was from the WSM. Would have worked fine from the 7-08, too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't 6.5....

Oh wait. Yes I do...

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wow it's like Christmas. I woke up to see I was mentioned in a big stick rant.

I fee honored, he even took the time to try to insult me by saying exactly what id already said lol.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Jordan,

You might could be onto sumptin',with a 7 Whizzum Montucky. If only because they is without doubt,the best Killing Rifle ever to roll out of a Factory.

Their twist/throat/COAL connects all dots and though I've only got (3) of 'em,mine will all kiss/nestle mag confines with the 180 ELD and scoot 'em to 2900fps. Of course same goes the 162 Melt 'Max,162 ELD No-Melts too. Gots me a "hunch",they's prolly the first (3) in the left of an above frame,were I forced to draw an arrow for the Window Lickers.

The Montucky .473" L/A is a bust in COAL and a HUGE compromise,as compared to say a 700,once bore sizing exceeds .243".

I'm thinkin' the astute will note a brace of loaded 6-06 rounds wearin' 105 Hornie HPBT's at a square kiss,which just happens to nestle L/A .473" Montucky mag confines to within' .025"...which was prolly part of a very well thunked blueprinting plan. Further,them who shoot,will be able to extrapolate said COAL in relation to same,setting within a 700 L/A magbox and connect dots,that as bore sizing increases,good boolits do get a touch longer.(grin)

That fact might could be represented plainly,with the aforementioned .243" 105 Hornie HPBT,.264" 147 ELD,.284" 180 ELD,.308" 208 Melt 'Max and a .338" 250 Skinner set there for comparison.

There might could be 1000 words on mag confines,with 243 SALAMI 105 Hornie HPBT Smooches nestled in a ASC Krunchenticker mag for a 1-7" 5R SPLENDID Self Shucker. Might could be a binderless AICS footprint DBM sportin' a 180 ELD square smooch comfortably within confines,in order to yield a 2700fps 7-08 Aye-Eye launch. Prolly a Seven ShamWow plugging the fhuqking landing on a OEM S/A 700 magbox with a 120 TSX and a leetle more correlation on what do and more importantly,do NOT jive.

[Linked Image]

Montucky L/A .473" donor COAL,in another 1000 words and why a 280AI chambered in same,is a bitter pill. 'Course none of The Paper Hat Brigade will savvy any of it,which never ain't not THE best part.(grin)

[Linked Image]

Am thinkin' there's prolly a touch more correlation here. Not that any of the CLUELESS Kchunts can/will savvy.

[Linked Image]

The Montucky 7 Whizzum simply does things that the Montucky 280AI can not,due the thing that matters most...which just happens to be boolits. Ordered another Thousandity 180 ELD's this morning,just to be sure.(grin)

Them facts are unsettlin',to Window Lickers ridin' the SHORT bus.

Bless their hearts....................(grin)

AU,

You Whining CLUELESS Kchunt,I enjoy how facts reliably collide with your Fantasy. Congratulations?!?

You'll haveta' pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess...mainly because I shoot it all and then some. Hint.

I realize that you gotta "live" vicariously and plagiarism is as close as you'll ever come and rest assured I do NOT wanna swipe neither your Imagination or it's Pretend,if only because it is all that you've "got". You "lucky" kchunt. Laughing!

Pardon the reality of my being able to laughingly crunch sub .5 MOA 700yd clusters,as per my fhuqking whim. The astute will note the impetus to simply let upper echelon BC's do their thang ala magfed Smooch and slip conditions.

Funnier than fhuqk,that it will ALL go over your head(RINK).

The ONLY thing you Stupid Fhuqks "shoot",is your mouths and Imagination. Not that I don't enjoy how "real" it is to you,to "do" same. Laughing!

You'd do well to take notes and apply same. Hint.

You've been led to water...thank me later.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.................

'winters,

Weren't my intent to horn you up. Congratulations?!?

You've never even fhuqking SEEN a 150 ELD,let alone a 147. You Day Dreaming Do NOTHING Dumb Fhuqks are a hoot! Besides being 100% Clueless,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit...what was the "odds"?!?

Knock 'er outta Da' Park and flaunt your Imagination and it's Pretend some more and extoll the "virtues" on how adding recoil and wind drift are "advantages",to let a long action,ALMOST run with a short action? Spare no "details" and share some of the "particulars" you "use" in your Fabricated Delusion(s). What glass/mounts are you "using"? I assure you,it will be funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

I'm always torn on which is more fhuqking funny...The Silence or The Attempt. Do not let the cat get your tongue,nor the couch your kchunt.

Here...lemme fuel your Imagination and Pretend even more and you can now say you've "seen" 260AI 147 ELD binderless mag Smooches at 2900fps,7-08AI 180 ELD binderless mag smooches at 2700fps and 7 Whizzum Montucky 180ELD OEM box fed smooches at 2900fps.

[Linked Image]

Pass the Kreedmire 147's(far left...so now you can say you've "seen" one) in an OEM Montucky.

[Linked Image]

Just sayin'.

Bless your heart.

kaleb,

Nobody has ever got GOOD with a rifle,by talking about it...but there's millions of DUMB Fhuqks giving that impossibility their "all" and a good sized herd of 'em right here.(grin)

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't. Hint.

Bless their hearts.

Laughing!..............

'scotty,

You go girl...you "really" "know" your "stuff". Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that the ONLY fhuqking thing you can "offer" in the first hand,is more Whine. What were the "odds"?!?

This Kansas weather is always perfect...you poor poor STUPID Fhuqk. It is a shame,that you CLUELESS Kchunts have less than zero inkling,to your incredible Dumbfhuqktitude. You be SURE to cite any/all words I used that were "too long" or "too Technical" and I'll use a lesser version,so you "think" you have a "chance". Hint. Laughing!

80 degrees and nary a breath of wind yesterday.

[Linked Image]

Wow +P++!

Bless your heart.

'bean.

8mm Mouser for me. J...not S.

Laughing!..............

'PENDOOSH,

Noone can insult you,better than you can...by simply doing your BEST. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Isn't it a fascinating constant,that you haven't the "means","ability" or "comprehension" to begin to keep pace...but are "blessed" with enough Imagination and Pretend to concoct THE Delusion that you "think" you do? The poignant profundity of that perpetual Dichotomy,is absolutely funnier than fhuqk. Hint.

Pardon the fact,that what I said is the antithesis of what you "think" I said and you needn't try to suck my ass,in the false hope of gaining a first fhuqking clue. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 27 1 2 3 4 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (2500HD, 260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,651
Posts18,455,483
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.