B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Drill it!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A relevant question based on an Aldo Leopold quote(sic).

"The trouble with wilderness is everyone wants to see it, touch it, feel it, but when they are done there is no wildness left in the wilderness."

So who does the most damage, the one person that puts down the first tracks in a remote valley in 20 years or the crowd swarming a National Moneymint?

Stole the Moneymint line from Ed Abbey...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I don't live in Alaska so really it's none of my business.

My opinion?

Well, I wish that we'd develop large scale geo thermal energy development in the lower 48 before developing ANWAR.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
The way to see if it is economically feasible is to put some leases up for bid. There are companies producing in N. AK now. The company I work for has a project up there that has been producing for several years. If it's economic companies will bid on it. The oil industry is responsible for some amazing advances in technology. If it can be done they will find a way or invent one. I'm constantly amazed at the advances that have been made throughout my career.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
I don't live in Alaska so really it's none of my business.

My opinion?

Well, I wish that we'd develop large scale geo thermal energy development in the lower 48 before developing ANWAR.

Yeah, how do you suppose we will get the geo-thermal up here to drive around? Or to benefit the people of AK? And did you catch the relative size of ANWR?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drill it ...yesterday!!!!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn

[I'm a newby to urban Alaska, so I'm still in the pondering stage about what makes places like Fairbanks 'float', with all it's Seattle-ites, Tennessee-ites, Colorado-ites, and every other flavor of 'ite' you can imagine, which seem to outnumber the folks who have actually spent time in the greater part of the state.]

To me, "Bareflanks" is too hot in the Summer and too cold in the Winter. Down in the Fairbanks bowl, the Winter air is like trying to breathe Kerosene. My experience is that most people in Fairbanks "march to the beat of a drum that no one else can hear"?

Presidents 100-'97
Distinguished Rifleman-'81
NRA Benefactor
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Landed in Fairbanks because of an emergency once and the Flight Attendant over the loud speaker said "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Fairbanks, please set your watches back 15 years!"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cdparker

To me, "Bareflanks" is too hot in the Summer and too cold in the Winter. Down in the Fairbanks bowl, the Winter air is like trying to breathe Kerosene. My experience is that most people in Fairbanks "march to the beat of a drum that no one else can hear"

hard to argue with that

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Landed in Fairbanks because of an emergency once and the Flight Attendant over the loud speaker said "Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Fairbanks, please set your watches back 15 years!"

Not any more. It seems a lot like Seattle Lite these days, IMO of course. Lots of plastic houses and plastic people now.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.